Best book for a novice ?

tmle39

Hi everyone! I am just beginning my journey into Tarot cards. I would like to know the best book for a beginner. Thank you. P.S. I currently have Herbal Tarot cards and RW Tarot cards. tmle39

mollymawk

Check out the newbies section at VillaRevak for some good suggestions for/reviews of tarot books.

jmd

The 'best' book will in part depend on personal preference, style, and background knowledge. In general, however, I would not hesitate to have a look at any of especially the more recent of Mary Greer's books.

Fulgour

The Tarot Revealed
by Eden Gray
ISBN: 0451156730

The Complete Guide to the Tarot
by Eden Gray
ISBN: 0553277529

Mastering the Tarot
by Eden Gray
ISBN: 0451167813

Amaris

Check out AT's own list of books for beginners. Here you can read a little bit about the books and decide for yourself. My personal favorites are Mary K Greer's Tarot For Yourself and Joan Bunning's Learning the Tarot. Both are workbook style books with lots of exercises to help you apply what you are learning. Bunning's book has the added bonus of being available as a free online course.

Good luck, whatever you chose. And remember that AT is one of the best resourses out there!

Blessings,

Amaris

tmle39

Thank you

Thanks for all the input. tmle39

niteskye

Personally I would recommend "Learning The Tarot" by Joan Bunning, "Tarot for Yourself" by Mary K Greer and "The Complete Tarot Reader" by Teresa Michelsen. I find all 3 equally as good as the other.

Grizabella

21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card by Mary Greer is excellent, and it won't just be useful for you when you're a beginner, it takes you right from beginner to advanced all in one book.

Scion

Hey!

I'll second the recs for the any of the Greer titles and also Michelsen's Complete Tarot Reader's Handbook; n.b. all of these titles are loose workbook intros that will get you off on the right foot. I find the BUnning a little rigid and keyword-y, but that may just be me.

If you prefer a more organized study program, and you're looking for a straight-up introduction to Waite-Smith style cards, I have another suggestion: Sharman-Burke's Beginner's Guide to the Tarot (which includes a study deck as well) is inexpensive and introduces you to the deck gradually, walking you through symbolism a suit at a time in a deck that is designed for clarity of symbol. By the time you've worked through it, you have a feel for the entire deck and the way the cards work together that you could carry over into any Waite-Smith derived deck.

Scion