Opus Mago-cabbalisticum (edited by: Duquette)

Fulgour

Opus Mago-cabbalisticum (edited by: DuQuette)

Opus Mago-cabbalisticum Et Theosophicum:
In Which The Origin, Nature, Characteristics, And Use Of Salt,
Sulfur and Mercury are Described in Three Parts
Together with much Wonderful Mathemati

by Georg von Welling

Hardcover: 551 pages
Publisher: Weiser Books (January 2006)
Language: English
ISBN: 1578633273

Georg von Welling was born in Schwaben, Bavaria, in 1655. He worked as the director of the Baden-Durlacher Office of Building and Mines until 1723 and died in 1725 in Frankfurt. Von Welling was primarily known for his book Opus Mago-Cabbalisticum et Theosophicum, which influenced numerous subsequent authors and informed much of the tradition of Western Ritual Magick.

Joseph McVeigh (translator) is a professor of German Studies at Smith College with the interest and skills necessary to translate such an arcane occult classic.

Amazon Book Description
In Goethe's immortal play, Faust, the brooding hero reflects upon the vainness of earthly knowledge and education. He opens a book of magic and is transfixed by an illustration of the magical universe. He resolves there and then to become a magician. The book that fired Goethe's imagination for that dramatic scene was a real book - the book of forbidden knowledge that evoked every mystical cliche~ Opus Mago-Cabbalisticum et Theosophicum. After nearly 300 years, one of the most important alchemical and magical texts of all time has finally been translated into English!

"For the modern student of the Western Mystery Traditions, it is impossible to overestimate the importance of von Welling's work. Its influence can be traced through the doctrines and teachings of a host of European esoteric institutions--even those that helped give birth to the Golden Dawn and the Modern Occult Revival." - Lon Milo DuQuette

This first ever English edition of Opus Mago-Cabbalisticum et Theosophicum will appeal to anyone interested in the history or practical aspects of alchemy, astrology, magick, Rosicrucianism, esoteric Freemasonry, and the Golden Dawn. A perfect addition to any library of classic esoteric literature, this edition reproduces famous illustrations.

Review by the Editor
April 13, 2006
Lon Milo DuQuette said:
In Act I of Goethe's Faust, the hero broods alone in his chamber and reflects upon the vainness of earthly knowledge and education. He opens a ponderous book of magic and gazes in almost sensual wonder upon the lines and symbols on a diagram of the Macrocosm. Upon waves of ecstasy he gives voice to the passion that since the dawn of consciousness has consumed the student of the mysteries.

The archetype for the book that fired Goethe's imagination (and in his play initiated Faust's memorable career as magus) was in all likelihood a real book - a book that evoked every mystical cliche of the dramatic imagination; a massive and heavily illuminated work of alchemy, astrology, theology, magic, and cabbala which in 1719 dropped like a living culture into the fertile medium of western syncretic thought; a book that for the remainder of the 18th century would revolutionize the Rosicrucian, Masonic, and Hermetic movements throughout Europe; a book with which Goethe, and the brightest stars in the firmament of European esotericism were intimately familiar - Georg von Welling's Opus Mago-cabbalisticum et Theosophicum.

As important as this work seems to be, it has never been translated into English -- until now.

Meticulously translated by Joseph McVeigh, this is a stunning and highly collectable edition of one of the most important books on alchemy ever written.

Scion

I know, Fulgour.

I've been dying for a copy for 2 years... :( I just can't bring myself to take the plunge and it's been sitting on my wishlist in the trade thread. I don't htink there are too many of them floating around unclaimed.

uwe

I am another one waiting with eager anticipation. The last one i really loved was the biography by Peter French, entitled "John Dee: The World of an Elizabethan Magus".