Biased attraction spread

rainwolf

I received a request as follows:

anonymous said:
I have a crush on a co-worker who is involved with someone else, but I'm pretty sure he is attracted to me. I guess what I want know is what the possibilities are for something romantic to happen between us and how that would occur. I would appreciate any advice. I would also like to remain anonymous.

After thinking a bit, I decided all I needed to do was use a traditional kind of spread, but mix it up a bit. I have been in situations like this before, and I know bias is an important factor, thus the title of the spread.

1 and 2 are struggles between mind and reality. Card 1 is your wants, and 2 is what is in reality at this point and the near future (week or week and a half). See how similar or dissimilar these two are. Don't focus on this for too long, just glance at the cards and write down a word that described each card.

Here is the important part (and tricky). These cards are going to tell you what you sometimes don't want to hear (very plainly and forward). Card 3 is your bias towards your wants, and card 4 the bias towards the reality of the situation. They are confusing at first, but once you have them they are helpful.

As an example of the bias cards (ill get out my deck and pick something random), I pull 4 of wands reversed, 2 of wands reversed, and the tower reversed. Your wants are for something that brings you daily satisfaction, not something huge. The reality is that no action is happening, you are hung up and can not make your mind clear on the matter. The bias card for your wants (the more important of the bias cards, IMO) being the tower reversed is saying you are not changing your ways and you are continueing a cycle. It is comfortable and new ways are not opening up.

When you pull the next bias card, you are looking at what the wrong impression card 2 (reality) is giving you. If it was the seven of wands, it would be telling you that the indecision was on your own part. There are things set in motion that give you power of will in the situation, and the two is not as gloomy as it might have been perceived.

If the bias cards pose problems of their own that need to be worked out, I would do something simple like a 3 card spread to intuitively understand it.

Finally, card 5 is the theme of the relation. NOTE I did not say relationship. This will tell you what is between you two.

When you are doing the reading, make note of the elements and the numbers involved. Even numbers portray togetherness at times, while odd is the 'odd man out'. Cups would be an emotional relation, while wands would be primarily business, and 'keeping it at that'. However, you need to decide yourself and look at the bias cards honestly. A tarot reading is hard enough to make objective, especially for relationships. However, the bias cards are a good way to make the odds in your favor of making an accurate decision and prediction.

In retrospect I wish I would've looked at the energies present between me and the inquired, and not 'outcomes' and 'predictions' I tried to streamline my readings to do. I hope my experience can be of some help to you.

RW

nauticalnun

Oh wow

When I found this, I couldn't help but laugh because I'm dealing with the same thing right now. I'm definitely doing this spread tonight, thanks :]

AJ

Hi, I have my forum background setting on white and grey, and I can't read anything you wrote in color. I really enjoy learning new spreads, could you do it in black please? I'm sure I'm not the only user here who uses this setting.

Thanks so much.

mollymawk

I like the concept, but I'm a little unclear on the positions here, so tell me where I've lost the plot:

1 - What I want
2 - What is really happening
3 - My skewed perception based on what I want?
4 - More info on my skewed perception? (this is what I don't get--or is it my skewed perception based on reality?)
5 - The relation (I do get this one)

Yes, no, whadidimiss?

Thanks -
MM

rainwolf

No worries, I understand what you are saying.

3 is bias toward your wants; it may tell you the attraction is not as good as you think, your personalities don't match as you had thought, etc.

4 is bias toward the reality of the situation. If you got a card that said this attraction is rosy and a good step for you, the bias may tell you that you still need to be careful, you should take it slow, or it might even say there is no bias whatsoever--all depending on the card, surrounding cards, and your personal reading style. If the card is negative, it might do the opposite and say work needs to be done. Maybe this is pessimistic, but if both are negative, it might actually say abandon this because there is something better waiting.

Let me sum up bias cards:

They tell you what you are fooling yourself about.

Sometimes they dont apply however. If you have a good reading and the bias card is The Sun, its saying you are being accurate with your intuition.

mollymawk

Still trying to get my head round this, cos it looks like what a lot of people ask me about, but I want to make sure I know what I'm doing first.

Card 3 would be a definite reality check?

Card 4 is based in reality, and could go either way, depending on the read, intuition, etc? And possibly a circumstance within your control.

Thanks.

rainwolf said:
No worries, I understand what you are saying.

3 is bias toward your wants; it may tell you the attraction is not as good as you think, your personalities don't match as you had thought, etc.

4 is bias toward the reality of the situation. If you got a card that said this attraction is rosy and a good step for you, the bias may tell you that you still need to be careful, you should take it slow, or it might even say there is no bias whatsoever--all depending on the card, surrounding cards, and your personal reading style. If the card is negative, it might do the opposite and say work needs to be done. Maybe this is pessimistic, but if both are negative, it might actually say abandon this because there is something better waiting.

Let me sum up bias cards:

They tell you what you are fooling yourself about.

Sometimes they dont apply however. If you have a good reading and the bias card is The Sun, its saying you are being accurate with your intuition.

Lurea

Neat spread! I like the contrast between your wants and reality.--great idea.

I'm having trouble with position 4 too, but then I re-read your first post:

When you pull the next bias card, you are looking at what the wrong impression card 2 (reality) is giving you. If it was the seven of wands, it would be telling you that the indecision was on your own part.

So you're saying that card 4 points out an error--something that you're thinking that isn't square with what reality is.

So if reality is say.... the Chariot, meaning things are moving forward and card 4 is the 2 of Swords, then my bias--my mistaken impression is that things are at a standstill, when actually they're progressing well (?) Is that it?

rainwolf

Its a little complicated... :)

You are all on the right track, but its open to interpretation. The idea of it is to eliminate bias, and you can choose several ways to do that. I probably made it sound harder than it is by my explanation.

3=bias against your interpretation of 'wants' card

4=bias against your interpretation of 'reality' card

If anyone has Theresa Michelson's book "Tarot spreads" she has it in there also.

rainwolf

mollymawk said:
I like the concept, but I'm a little unclear on the positions here, so tell me where I've lost the plot:

1 - What I want
2 - What is really happening
3 - My skewed perception based on what I want?
4 - More info on my skewed perception? (this is what I don't get--or is it my skewed perception based on reality?)
sorry i havent been following this close, ive been having quite the weekend. I'm going to rephrase your quote on 4:

"my skewed perception based on reality"

cerulean_lotus

Thank you

This spread is extremely powerful. I won't post details of my reading b/c I know that's not allowed, but this spread is a classic. What I love about it is that it can be used with multiple decks, and is good with utilizing many different interpretations efficiently. I found that this spread helped me get down to a couple of core issues with -myself-first and foremost. It is a great reality check for those "awkward" situations in life-when you just don't know about an attraction, and you just don't know about your own feelings either. And it works your intuition skills as a reader so that you analyze the entire message of the reading. If anything, I should make this spread part of a daily practice on interpersonal relationships because it is really that good. Thank you!