A Christmas Magician?

Rosanne

At Umbrae's suggestion I have been using the International Icon Tarot. I really like it- I mean- Really like it! The only card that annoys me is the Magician. It is one of my favourites in RWS.
Heres's the thing- Unlike in the RWS, the IIT has an air of a Christmas Card. I never have had this feeling with the RWS. So a thought came to me- does anyone think that The Magician represents Jesus? Is there any written article that anyone can remember that takes this view? I have looked in most historic books I can find and I can find no mention of this link- except in speciality Christian Tarot like The Master Tarot. Is it just my imagination with this card- does anyone else think this the card looks Christmass- ey? ~Rosanne

Attachments

• IITMagicianRWS.jpg
    IITMagicianRWS.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 210

Alta

Wales Woman did a reading for me in COS and we were using the RWS-based Llewellyn deck. Both of us keyed immediately into the connection of The Magician with Jesus. Maybe it was the subject of the reading (my recent loss) or the image used in the Llewellyn, but the impact was there.

The drawing down of sky to earth, the ability to command all earthly elements, the aura of complete control of nature (e.g. in many NT stories).

As for whether the IIT deck looks Christmas-y, um, not specifically to me anyway.

Rosanne

Thanks Marion- yes of course Gwydion in the Llewellyn looks like Jesus- I forgot-well the holy pictures of Jesus in the west. I bet he basically looked nothing like Gwydion in fact lol. Nor anything like the RWS Magician. Sometimes a deck takes you down a whole different avenue. I glad it is me only that sees this Christmas card thing in IIT- It would keep popping up in readings with that stuck in my head..... I think you should that new project Next Christmas...and some suchlike. I could not find anything in the search function, and we seem to discuss just about everything here. ~Rosanne

Fulgour

Sandwiches for Everybody!

Jesus seems never to have written
anything down...so I sometimes do
think he was happier with his Tarot
cards, and doing personal readings.

Mellifluous

Yes, that picture looks Christmasy to me, too. lol

Rosanne

Deck the halls with Bells and Holly la la la Mellifluous! Thanks. Fulgour you are right- Jesus did not Journal! All his mates did, it seemed lol. I cannot find any alluding to Jesus and the Magician- not even from ol' Waitey Baby! It does not seem such a giant leap for me- but I was raised with bias hehe. I just thought there might be some learned treatise out there somewhere- or some connection that had not occurred to me -like Mithras? maybe it is just the Bells and Holly of the IIT and that it is still January :D. Whatever I will try and dispell the commercial season image from my mind. ~Rosanne

Tarotphelia

Rosanne said:
At Umbrae's suggestion I have been using the International Icon Tarot. I really like it- I mean- Really like it! The only card that annoys me is the Magician.

I'm confused again. Why is it that this card annoys you ? Is it just the Christmas decoration feeling you are associating with it ?

Rosanne

Hi DI and Happy New Year! Yes it is that the image looks like a Christmas Decoration Card; so I was tryng to divert my mind to something postive about Xmas- like is there some association with this card, other than commercial about xmas.
Have you got a deck that goes along on one theme and then POW! there is one card that is on a whole different level? It is like having the Ferret Tarot and the Magician is an elephant; or a TdM and that one card is in black and white. Somehow my eye or hand keeps drawing this IIT card, and I find it so annoying. So I was looking for a diversion to trick my mind. ~Rosanne

Tarotphelia

Rosanne said:
Hi DI and Happy New Year! Yes it is that the image looks like a Christmas Decoration Card; so I was tryng to divert my mind to something postive about Xmas- like is there some association with this card, other than commercial about xmas.
Have you got a deck that goes along on one theme and then POW! there is one card that is on a whole different level? It is like having the Ferret Tarot and the Magician is an elephant; or a TdM and that one card is in black and white. Somehow my eye or hand keeps drawing this IIT card, and I find it so annoying. So I was looking for a diversion to trick my mind. ~Rosanne

Happy New to you too !

Hmm. I looked at the card and didn't see anything overtly Xmas about it myself .

So your view is that commercial Xmas is bad and it annoys you , and so you wanted to locate a Jesus association you could project onto it instead ?

Wouldn't it be easier to stop associating it with Xmas altogether ? Or make your peace with commercial Xmas as something that makes kids happy sometimes and keeps the economy going ? On the other hand , if this card is really out to get you , maybe it is hiding an unpleasant memory that wants to come up and once that is done it will not have that association for you anymore .

Or is it a kind of Virgo-ish annoyance that the possible orderly perfection of the deck is now out of sync and you can't rest until you assert the proper order ? In which case I must unfortunately say that really , ultimately , the proper order will always be at risk of being skewed . It's what the universe does for a living .
That's why we keep having to dust .

Rosanne

Dark Inquisitor said:
Hmm. I looked at the card and didn't see anything overtly Xmas about it myself .
Good! So it seems to be in my mind incorrectly?
So your view is that commercial Xmas is bad and it annoys you , and so you wanted to locate a Jesus association you could project onto it instead ?
Yes! Well I thought it better than seeing the Magician as a salesman of all the hullabaloo of that time of year.
On the other hand , if this card is really out to get you , maybe it is hiding an unpleasant memory that wants to come up and once that is done it will not have that association for you anymore .
I can accept that for me but not if I read for someone else. I try very hard not too put my maladjustments on to someone else :D

Or is it a kind of Virgo-ish annoyance that the possible orderly perfection of the deck is now out of sync and you can't rest until you assert the proper order ? In which case I must unfortunately say that really , ultimately , the proper order will always be at risk of being skewed . It's what the universe does for a living .
Hehehe there is that too of course...and it does seem out of order. How dare the Universe toy with me (Rosanne goes off to check her CD's are in perfect alphabetical order still and the Universe is'nt playing there)~Rosanne