Emperor and Empress appearing in the same reading

jlo

This has never happened to me . I did a reading and both the Emperor and Empress appeared . I find it uncanny . Does this mean anything when both these cards appear in the same reading ?

elvenstar

I see the Emperor and Empress as a pair, representing complementary energies. Male/female, active/passive, giving/receiving etc. They have to do with this world, the real, the tangible, the material. Another pair could e.g. be the Magician and High Priestess referring to more spiritual aspects.

I'd say that yes, they have an important message coming up together. They could be representing real people in a couple, or something more abstract. But what the message is depends on the reading. Are they friendly, supporting each other, creating a whole? Or battling each other, representing opposing attitudes or influences?

jlo

Thanks for your input elvenstar :) I actually did a lovers spread . The Empress represents obstacles to overcome and the emperor represents your lover's hopes,fears and desires. This would mean they are battling each other ?

elvenstar

Well, these are majors after all and can have many layers of meaning. One could be that the real and ultimate union of the couple has not been realised, perhaps assuming that 'you' are the female and the other the male, they want to be your emperor but you are hesitating or something is blocking you from being his empress. In any case I'd say it signifies a deep and strong connection, existing in a deeper level or as a potential but not being fully expressed. Could it be an obstacle in commitment? Marriage? The whole spread would indicate what is going on in more detail, perhaps post in the readings section.

jlo

I think it could represent a blockage . I will post the spread in the reading section as soon as I have time to interpret the cards . Thanks anyway :)

WalesWoman

jlo said:
Thanks for your input elvenstar :) I actually did a lovers spread . The Empress represents obstacles to overcome and the emperor represents your lover's hopes,fears and desires. This would mean they are battling each other ?
Perhaps the Empress is too insulating, too mothering, too demanding or suffocating, so with the Emperor in the hope/fears is that it becomes too repressive and the relationship stagnates OR the Emperor says Enough is Enough, this has to be better balanced. He wants to wear the pants in this relationship and is feeling hen pecked and controlled. ???

jlo

WalesWoman I didn't see it this way . This interpretation could make sense too.

WalesWoman

You know, I really dislike the hope/fears & desires position in any spread... how do you know which it is; a hope, desire or a fear? How are you to interpret a positive/negative position like that? So why is there never one position for each?

When I've gotten these two cards together, I usually felt pretty good about it, like they balance & compliment & support each other and make a successful pair. Of course that could have meant it was my hope and desire. :laugh:

jlo

LOL . I agree you cannot really make out if it's positive or negative . Very tricky indeed to interpret cards appearing in the hope/fears & desires position. You can only guess and doesn't help at all !