Runes...Runes...Runes

Rede Seeker

Is there a preferred Rune system and media?

There are other Futhark systems (eg 18 or 33 Runes).
There are cards, ceramic 'Rune-cookies', home-made carved or woodburned sets, etc.

I've worked with Runes for 10 years using different sized sets, but staying with the Elder Futhark, 24-Runes. The set I've been using for the past 6 years are stamped into copper-like circles the size of pennies but much thinner. The symbolism of tossing coins into the Well of Wyrd is very appealing.

My preferrred card set is the Silver Ravenwold/Nigel Jackson Witches Runes.

raeanne

Rede Seeker said:
Is there a preferred Rune system and media?

Preferred by whom? As far as this group is concerned, I think most people here believe you should use whatever system and media YOU prefer. If you like stones, use stones. If you enjoy working with a specific set of cards, use those cards. I think a lot of people start out with the elder futhark simply because there is more information on it than on the others. There certainly isn't any belief that one system is any 'better' than any other system. You might want to do a search on the topic of Runes. There have been some excellent disscussion on Runes on this board. Welcome to the board. Enjoy!

Fulgour

I've heard here that "homemade" sets rank highly,
and have created a few myself, but in a personal
sense it's also very exciting using a bought'n set.

It's easy to make a Dulcimer too, but it's nice to
have one that's come to you complete and new.

Rede Seeker

Follow-up

Thanks for the replies.

I am trying to find the 'flavor' of this List concerning Rune reading media not seeking advice on which to use. I have a 10 year collection of Rune sets and have evolved as a Reader with each set.

Umbrae

Rede Seeker said:
I have a 10 year collection of Rune sets and have evolved as a Reader with each set.
Therein lies the heart of Runes and their reader. Growth.

So did you ever go back to the poly-resin sets? Did you find wood, antler, or stone superior?

I want you know what discoveries you made – about the runes, and about yourself – along the way.

:smoker:

Enheduanna

I have been concidering making a set of runes of my own, because... well... it would be fun I think. Also I know nothing of runes, and I figure making my own set is a good way to connect and learn about them. I had thought abou tmaking them out of clay, but then a friend of mine why studies under norse traditions said that I couldn't. That sort of upset me, I am not the type of woman you can easily tell that I can't do something..lol. He explained further that they were supposed to be made of wood from a fruit or nut bearing tree (which is all trees, I think?), and are traditionally dyed red. Tradition aside, I would say one could use whatever materials they wanted. However, he got me thinking, and I think wood would probably work better then clay. Clay might tend to break more easily I would think. As it happens, because of an ice storm here last week (NY), a cherry tree fell, and I am gonna hack it up and use parts from it for my own rune set. So I have my materials....

But I'v got to say... after glancing over this post, I am more confused then before about my exactly plan for the rune set I want to make. I didn't realize there were different types? How many different types are there? Which is most common? Where can I find reading material and the symbols? ect.....

Sheri

You have excellent questions, Enheduanna! I have been learning about runes as well. There are lots of different types. There are great threads in the forum that discuss them. One regarding the Elder Futhark is here:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=15597

I recently joined a study group that was started to discuss and learn about the Ogham (pronounced o-yam) runes which have been found carved on ancient stones and are associated with the Celtic Tree Alphabet. They can also be carved into sticks. I have recently gotten a book called The Celtic Tree Mysteries by Steve Blamires that discusses that Ogham runes could vary by region because the environments were different, and that there were Oghams that covered colors, fortresses, birds, and river-pool. They aren't well known because they were carved on wood that has been lost over the many years (only the stone carvings survived). It is very interesting stuff! Here is a link to that thread:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=28650

As you explore runes, you will probably find lots of differing opinions on them. The great thing about runes is that the power of the runes are within YOU regardless of which rune system you use. It is you, not the system that has the power. You may even come up with your own system that has elements from all the other rune systems. There are no right or wrong answers for you other than to do what feels right for you (for example, your friend mentions using wood and dyeing them red - that is a symbolic ritual for bonding with runes that involves rubbing them with bodily fluids - such as blood - "to make them yours". Interesting to know, but I am not going to do that. I will bond with the stone runes I have now just fine by using them just the way they are). If you want to make runes out of clay, you should! If you want to use wood, you should! If you want to collect special rocks or stones to make runes out of, you should!

Have fun and I look forward to learning with you!

Hugs :)

valeria

Milfoil

Enheduanna said:
I have been concidering making a set of runes of my own, because... well... it would be fun I think. Also I know nothing of runes, and I figure making my own set is a good way to connect and learn about them.

Great idea (just what I did) and it makes the set special to you as well as helping you learn each rune.

Enheduanna said:
I had thought abou tmaking them out of clay, but then a friend of mine why studies under norse traditions said that I couldn't. That sort of upset me, I am not the type of woman you can easily tell that I can't do something..lol. He explained further that they were supposed to be made of wood from a fruit or nut bearing tree (which is all trees, I think?), and are traditionally dyed red.

Tradition is great if you actually come from that ancestry. However, in this global community we now find ourselves in, your tradition may be to use small clay tablets. Almost all trees bear some sort of fruit (nut, seed etc) so it doesn't have to be a fruit tree in the more usual sense and from what I have read, its not clear if the dying of runes red was for 'special' readings where the runes would be discarded afterwards so that they could not be read again.

Enheduanna said:
Tradition aside, I would say one could use whatever materials they wanted. However, he got me thinking, and I think wood would probably work better then clay. Clay might tend to break more easily I would think. As it happens, because of an ice storm here last week (NY), a cherry tree fell, and I am gonna hack it up and use parts from it for my own rune set. So I have my materials....

Sounds lovely, go for it.

Enheduanna said:
But I'v got to say... after glancing over this post, I am more confused then before about my exactly plan for the rune set I want to make. I didn't realize there were different types? How many different types are there? Which is most common? Where can I find reading material and the symbols? ect.....

Don't worry about it, start where you were going to and let everything else evolve over time.

caridwen

I have been working with the Elder Futhark for nearly three years now. I started with slips of paper on which I drew the symbols then I made my own runes from pebbles. I feel that only now am I starting to get some of the runes meaning and would probably need about five years to scratch the surface. I see runes as a learning experience, the books give you a kickstart and then you're on your own. So I've yet to gather what each rune means to me personally never mind in combination. I haven't branched out to other futharks:)