anything and everything tarot on DVD

finaflight

I could use some help here.

I am not big on reading books, although if I have to I will.

I was wondering id anyone knows of any DVD`s out there that are filled with information about tarot reading, history, anything and everything I could get my hands on, but on DVD.

It would be a big help

Cosmoline

Mellifluous

What an interesting question! I've never seen any myself... I know Amy Zerner and Monte Farber have a tarot kit coming out this year that will include a DVD. I think it will have the cards animated as they are when you get a reading on their web site.

Yes, here's the Amazon listing

http://www.amazon.com/Tarot-Discove...f=sr_1_27/002-2978083-4789641?ie=UTF8&s=books

Good luck! I'll be surprised if there isn't something out there already.

jmd

There are a number of DVDs on Tarot and its various aspects - though it will depend what you are after.

The ATS - 2005 Conference DVDs (a set of ten with over 5 hours worth) is a record from the morning presentations at the Conference. As such, they were not produced for the purposes of documentory or filming, but rather as a record of the live sessions. Still, some of the informations if fantastic, and the presentation worthwhile (from my personal point of view).

finaflight

Thanx Mellifluious and JMD - I`ll take a look at those threads you both sent me.

What I am looking for is anything and everything I can find on the subject of Tarot.

Sometimes it is easier - for me - to comprehend if someone is talking to me, say on a DVD, rather than me reading out of a book.

Like, a few years ago I needed some personal questions answered about the Christian belief system. The one I grew up with.

I found it boring in church when I was a kid. I was unable to put up my hand and ask questions, and beside I was taught that you were not supposed to question God.

I’m sure that is not what I was doing. I’m sure Jesus or any other well known prophet etc, and or student asked questions. How would you know if you don’t ask?

So I sat down and listened to 2000 years of Christianity, which lead me to other DVD’s that discussed other spiritual belief systems.

It was all very – well - enlightening

So too with the Tarot - I would love to be enlightened.

I want to learn from it - and learn about myself through using the Tarot – as well as understanding all the different meaning, as well as the history.

I know there is an abundance of information here in the forum and I am learning a lot here. I just thought it would be nice to sit down and listen to someone.

Sometimes I`m not sure if I am asking the right questions.

I always like to turn something that I am interested in – in-side-out, and up-side-down, and ask a lot of questions like a little child.

Thanks again.

Peace
Cosmoline

finaflight

JMD

Will I be able to understand the DVD`s above? - since I am beginner.
The page does not give a discription of what is on the DVD`s.

Mellifluous

Yes, it totally makes sense to learn anything from other formats besides reading books (or forums), including tarot.

You might want to look at their site - theenchantedworld.com - in the meantime to get a sort of preview. If you click to get a free reading, the card(s) are animated and the meaning is read to you with music in the background. I seem to remember watching a little video on there once, too. I think they called it a meditation but it was about the four elements/suits. There is a lot on their site. I haven't looked at all of it though.

You might also want to see if any of the many books about tarot are available as audiobooks but then again I guess that's missing the visual component. I'm sure you'll find some good materials though now that you're looking. ;)

And you're welcome! :)

seaweed

Hi Cosmoline,

Kind of a multi-tasking DVD set, but have you checked out Joseph Campbel's "The Power of Myth" DVD series? In many ways, it's *much* better than his books just because of it's casual, down-to-earth attitude. Journalist Bill Moyers interviews him for the series and it genuinely has the feel of two guys sitting in a kitchen, talking over coffee (I think it was filmed at George Lucas' Skywalker Ranch.) It's available at most libraries, it's intriguing and relaxing to watch and since the whole series is based on world mythologies (many universal themes,) their belief systems, their paralleling stories and their symbols. It can make for some real "Ah-ha!" moments when you watch the series with your tarot deck nearby. Also, since Joe Campbel was kind of a mix between a psychologist, anthropologist/world traveler, and religious studies (of all faiths) student, you get many different levels of meaning from a single story he might tell.

Just an aside...Have you seen Star Wars or the Indiana Jones movies? Well, they were written & produced by George Lucas--a big-time fan and student of Joseph Campbel's who based all of those books and movies off of Campbel's work (in fact, as you watch the movies, you can see the themes of Campbel's "A Hero's Journey" play out chapter for chapter.)

Take care!

P.S. The images referenced in the series are beautiful, vivid works of art--paintings mostly--so the DVD's are a little like eye-candy!

finaflight

well thank you so much seaweed - I haven`t heard of it but will check with my liubrary. Sounds interesting.

Cosmoline

jmd

I must have missed cosmoline's question about whether a beginner would be able to follow the DVDs - my apologies.

I do not think it has much to do with whether or not one is a beginner, but rather the manner in which one learns and the varied interests one has.

The presenters on the whole began only with, at most, an assumption that each present knew what a tarot deck was (that it had trumps, courts and pips). Apart from that, the imagery used normally illustrated the points made.

Mary Greer presented her research on the suit of Cups in one of the DVDs; Dan Pelletier's wonderful tales that connect the mythic and historic are fantastic; Van Leuuwen's views I personally do not agree with, but bring to mind much that is worth pondering and thinking about; Elizabeth Wheldrake connects the trumps of the Waite-Smith deck to early Christian development and symbolism; and I do a brief historical presentation of tarot development and imagery.

It's a little hard to describe over five hours of DVDs - also being so close to it myself. If someone else (a few AT members have the set) have something to add - no matter how critical - all the better.