When did titles switch to typeface?

Teheuti

Does anyone know when the yellow box RWS deck first had a mechanical typeface instead of Pixie's calligraphy for the titles?

I remember that several of us asked Stuart Kaplan about this at the Chicago conference and he seemed surprised to learn that the card titles had been changed.

Mary

Teheuti

Thanks for the information. If anyone has anything more specific, please add to the data.

Fulgour said:
He even claims "Pamela Colman Smith TM"
Isn't that outrageous. I believe that trademarks have even more restrictions than copyrights.

Mary

Abrac

Sorry Teheuti, I can't help much with a date, but I do know if the box says "Printed In Italy" it will have the new lettering.

Debra

Maybe we can narrow it down if we all take a look and try to remember when we got our decks....I know I received a new RWS in 1972 with the handwritten typeface and no copyright notice, and the coloration is softer than the new version.

Abrac

I don't know about the RWS, but a lot of the new printings (Printed In Italy) started showing up around 2004. The Universal Waite, Hanson-Roberts, and Morgan-Greer for example. This might be a clue.

Little Baron

I don't know the whens and wheres, but I know the change looks s**t. And the images themselves are coloured badly too, if the Giant is anything to go by. A classic deck F***ed up.

LB

Teheuti

Fulgour said:
Since my collection of Rider decks is "largish" ;)
my "guess-work" is really more based on facts.
Sorry. I didn't realize from your statements that the dates you gave were exact. Unfortunately I've never kept close track of when I bought a new item and so it's hard for me to remember the details. I'm glad you are doing so.

Given all this, when was the deck first printed in Italy?

Mary