tarot books for the raw beginner - info please!

The 78th Fool

I've just found out today that Juliet Sharman Burke has published a follow up to the Beginner's Guide to the Tarot - I think it's called the Tarot Workbook or something similar.

Apparently, it aims to build on the original course and go deeper into studying the Sharman Casselli Deck. It is very similar to the Mythic Tarot Workbook in format.

I can't wait to get my hands on this one!

Chris. xx

freshyoyo

I have searched the two books that the second post mentioned and I am interested in them.
But I can not buy them in the internet and I can not find a bookshop in China.

If you have any suggestion for me , many thanks for you to tell me by private message. Thanks a lot.:)

se7enseas

Need help to get My Book

Ok my turn now, Im a beginner & I think I need a textbook based book, because I prefer point-forms, not chunks of paragraphs. As likely I will have this book beside me when i do my reading & make reference to it, at least at this beginning stage.

I have already got 'Mastering the Tarot' by Eden gray after reading some beginners' book recommendations threads here. The book is easy to understand & it gives the most portion to the Minor & Major cards interpretations.

Now I think I need one that is, practically guided & proportionally sectioned-to give a reasonable portion also to:

*Do's & Dont's of tarot;
*How to acquaint or link with my tarot;
*How to care for my tarot cards;
*How to ask questions or read cards;
*Cards Handling - cutting / shuffling tech (with diagrams);
*Various card spreads for different question-type (with diagrams)

I know the book by Joan Bunnings kinda fits but the text is also available online right?

The Dummy's or Idiot's guides also seems to be good choices, but I dont really like the way the titles sound, remember I want to feel right with my tarot - especially with it beside me eh?

Thanks!

MarkMcElroy

Suggestion: Absolute Beginner's Guide

You can take a peek at Joan Bunning's book, which is one of my personal favorites, right here:

http://www.learntarot.com.

I'd also humbly ask you to consider the brand-new Absolute Beginner's Guide to Tarot. Right up front: I'm the author. Even so, based on what you've described, I think the ABG to Tarot can really help you, as it has all the features you've asked for ... and more!

Related posts about the book -- a description of it, plus a podcast of the first chapter -- are available here on Aeclectic:

Description
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=57345

Podcast
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=57964

I'll be posting the full text of several chapters to the web over the next few days. I hope you'll find the info useful! :)

KaiMoonshadow

I really liked "Tarot for A New Generation" by Janina Renee... It was recommended by a friend and I found it quite helpful in understanding different aspects of the cards :)

I have also used the Learn Tarot (www.learntarot.com) website, although recently, it seems to be broken :( does anyone know why?

bleuivy

Woa. Lots of people apparently really like Learning the Tarot. I understand it's a great book, and that it works for many people, but I completely didn't connect with it, and even considered giving up on tarot cards when I was a beginner based upon how little I was getting out of them when I was working with the book. It was too cut and dried for me, too utilitarian, too something. I'm not bashing it, understand. I understand it works for just about everybody.

I'm severely dyslexic, and Joan Bunnings approach just didn't work for me. Maybe because of the way I learn, I needed an approach that allowed me to get a more intuitive understanding of the cards while at the same time allowing me to look up the intention behind the symbolism. The combination of books that worked for me ended up being:

The Complete Tarot Reader, which focusses on working with the cards to come up with your own meanings of the cards.

78 Degrees of Wisdom, which was good for when I wanted to know what the intention behind certain symbolism was.

The book that went with the deck I was working with at the moment, which, as Talisman said, might be problematic for some people.

And, because I'm a historian, and really like knowing where something has been to know where it's going, I really didn't feel like I'd started understanding tarot until I'd read a book on tarot history.

But then, I understand I learn very differently from most people...

firecatpickles

My first book was Tarot: A New Handbook for the Apprentice, by Eileen Connolly [ISBN 0-87877-045-3]. I would recommend it to anyone. In fact, I found a copy and bought it for my partner to study by.
:grin:

K:spade:K

Sulis

I really don't like 'Learning the Tarot' by Joan Bunning - I never recommend it to beginners - why? Because it doesn't give you a system, it gives you a load of keywords for each card that you're meant to just learn...
There is no mention of how Joan got to these keywords, no numerology and suit, no reading the picture, just a lot of words to learn parrot fashion.

In my opinion you need to know HOW to read, you need to know HOW to find your own meanings for the cards, not just learn Joans..

I always recommend Teresa Michelsen's 'Complete Tarot Reader' - you won't find any keywords in this book, no card meanings just really easy to follow information on HOW to read..
Excellent book.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0738704342/026-0089548-4678059?v=glance&n=266239

The 78th Fool

Sulis said:
In my opinion you need to know HOW to read, you need to know HOW to find your own meanings for the cards, not just learn Joans..

I really agree with this. One of the main reasons why I got so much from Juliet Sharman Burke's Beginner's Guide to the Tarot was because the book contained repros of all the cards in the accompanying deck. Each illustration was diagramattically labelled, identifying each individual element of the image and discussing its symbolic significance. This taught me to develop a new awareness of the imagery on any given deck, viewing it first as a whole and then to identify the individual details, looking at their traditional symbolism but also what they symbolised to me. I would recommend any book therefore that teaches you to develop your own awareness of tarot symbology rather than just relying solely on formulas or keywords.

Chris. xx

RubyV

I'm not really a fan of Bunning's book or site. It's dry, and not very user friendly.

I really liked "the complete tarot reader", and am getting a copy of Greer's new book.

I prefer books that encourage the reader to develop their own associations and definitions, and not depend on the book.