songs and divination

Sophie

I've often taken words I hear in songs as some kind of sign I need at any one time. Up to recently, it's been a rather haphapzard process - but lately I've been trying something else. I'll think of something that is troubling me, or otherwise occupying my mind, and then swtich on the radio, asking for a message I need to hear. The first song I hear will usually have a strong message for me. I do the same when I am about to enter a restaurant or shop (ubiquitous music here...)

Sometimes the same song will play over and over, until I "get it" and then I won't hear it again (presumably because I have the message and have integrated it).

I was thinking about a certain confusing and uncertain situation in my life between me and someone this morning when I woke up. I turned on the radio, asking for a sign, something to help me see a little more clearly and understand where things were pointing. The first song that came on (it was already playing in fact) was "things are getting better and better between us, we are growing closer and closer, the clouds are dispersing and soon will come the day when we never part again" (or words to that effect - it's not a song I am familiar with).

It works with all sorts of things, from the most spiritual to the most practical. I am going to try finding my new pad that way :D (yeah, ok, I will look at some places IRL too!)

Anyone else do this? I've been wondering about offering "song readings"...

zannamarie

I had someone advise me to look for messages in radio songs as she saw that as something for which I have an affinity. I rarely listen to the radio so I periodically try out her suggestion and most times find that the lyrics do seem to have relevance to what I'm currrently thinking about.

I haven't had the radio on for a while so I can't think of any specific examples right now.

If one thinks about it, I would think it would be similar to asking the tarot for advice and picking a card - same general methodology but just a different 'messenger' for the advice. :)

jlo

This is interesting ! I barely listen to the radio .. But I often notice that whenever I decide to download songs , the lyrics most of the time match my feelings ! When it happens , it definitely lightens me up ..

Not related to songs , but at times when I'm watching a particular TV show there're sentences I can relate to . The words seem to be advising me to or showing me possibilities . I absolutely love it when such things happen !

Embla

Yes, I have been reading songs this way for as long as I can remember. Sometimes I ask a question and turn on the radio, other times I get a feeling I need to turn on the radio and then take it from there. Sometimes my father up in the heavens above communicates with me that way. I can ask him for advice and he will tell me. I am sending him a big smile and thank you for that!

The same method also works with zapping the tv. Ask for advice and press a button on your remote control. I use the first line and image that comes up. We did this in a group of friends once and it worked remarkably well.

Your idea about offering song readings sounds brilliant.

Apocalipstick

I sometimes do this though it's not just songs, but also blurbs on TV or the first thing I overhear during the day (have been doing that one for a long while). I also leave the scan button going in the car and try to make sense of the disparate phrases and song fragments I hear, see if I can give them a context.

Mostly it's a creative thinking exercise, though there have beem some interesting coincidences, and not all pertained to me. I guess they'd be called synchronicitous, if you were inclined to go that route. Still, most song lyrics seem to be general enough to be applied to anything--all you need is imagination and the inclination to give them meaning ;)

Sophie

Apocalipstick said:
Still, most song lyrics seem to be general enough to be applied to anything--all you need is imagination and the inclination to give them meaning ;)
Except if you ask a specific question, and then go for the first song you hear to give you the answer to that question. That's where it starts becoming less general, and more specific. All divination goes from the general to the specific, because we apply large archetypal symbols to individual situations.

Lula Jing

I recently had the inclincation to turn the radio on whilst in the car and a familiar song was just starting.

Just have a little, patience Opening line (oh yes, patience). :)

I'm still hurting from a love I lost,
I'm feeling your frustration,
But any minute all the pain will stop,
Just hold me close inside your arms tonight,
Don't be too hard on my emotions

(Chorus)
Cause I, need time,
My heart is numb, has no feeling,
So while I'm still healing,
Just try and have a little patience...

The wonderful Take That. :D

Great song - and the words did mean something to me right then.

Shy x

Apocalipstick

Fudugazi said:
All divination goes from the general to the specific, because we apply large archetypal symbols to individual situations.
Granted, but without the ability to connect with a particular symbol, to invest it with very personal meaning, it would have no resonance. I'm not saying divination can't work, only that it depends on the ability to find meaning and causality in seemingly unrelated events.

Sophie

Apocalipstick said:
Granted, but without the ability to connect with a particular symbol, to invest it with very personal meaning, it would have no resonance. I'm not saying divination can't work, only that it depends on the ability to find meaning and causality in seemingly unrelated events.
That is the very point of divination - "to connect with a particular symbol, to invest it with very personal meaning."

It was always like that. A Roman general would consult the auguries to see if he would win a particular battle on a particular day, and the augur would stare into a pile of fresh insides of bird or cattle. Something connected the way the guts fell to the question asked, the guts would become symbols, and the symbols answer the personal question asked.

And you can toss coins, too, or read clouds, and give them personal meaning.

But songs have a poetic resonance and you can sing along to them, so I like that form of divination better than I would reading animal entrails ;)

Sophie

Shy - what an apt song for you, now! And beautiful too...