Tarot Box-making hobby

Pumpkin

Love the art boxes. You also make the box? What is that made out of? I'd love to give it a go.

blue_fusion

the boxes are made of illustration board. the cover and bottom half are each composed of 5 pieces of cut illust board (base + 4 sides) i used masking tape to hinge the sides to the base, then i wrapped everything in craft paper. hope that made sense (i'm pretty horrible in giving instructions) :)

WalesWoman

OH I really love the Tiffany styled box... the colors and design are nice. I wish the laser could cut in color. LOL

Lillie

What is illustration board?

It looks like a great way to make lovely boxes....
But what is it?

AJ

is it like the matting boards used for framing around pictures? Room told me awhile back to ask at framing places, sometimes they will even give you scraps that are big enough to work into deck boxes.

blue_fusion

hmmm. i was thinking maybe it's just commercially called illustration board here but maybe goes by a different name elsewhere. it's paper board that has one white side and the other one in black. i think it's used by illustrators for storyboards. i guess other thick boards will do, i just use it cuz it's cheaper than the others. :D

here's another one. it's not really italian, nor renaissance-y, but i fancy calling it that: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/41111940/ i cut a hole in the middle, and attempted a "padded, upholstered" look with velvet and foam. :)

i'm currently working on a new one and i'm gonna try taking pics of the process. it really is a fun activity, plus you get buxes which are specifically tailored to your decks' dimensions so there's a snug fit.

AJ

Thanks for taking the time to do that for the creatively challenged amongst us!

Alta

btw, I added this thread to the "Making Bags and Boxes" thread which resides in the Forum Index. blue-fusion, you added a new technique plus some interesting examples. Mind you, we are not all that creative, but wonderful to have some really fine examples to inspire us.

Bat Chicken

Inspiring work, blue_fusion! I really love them!:)