Tarot Box-making hobby

wens_a

Welcome to Aeclectic, wens_a! :bugeyed: That's a box! :bugeyed: I never gave any thought to a box with height like that as space is limited and I have more than a few decks (no comments from the peanut gallery!) in my collection so can't spare the extra space.

Thanks! It's the only box I've made that isn't stackable, but the BG deck is my favorite so far, and it's been living on the coffee table since I use it almost daily. I'm not sure if I will leave it out if people come over; this is kind of a private obsession :p
The triangular lid was pretty fiddly to make, but I had fun with it. There are some other decks that may need boxes with a few architectural details.

Also, if anyone is interested, I learned a lot about box making from this book :
http://hollanders.com/books/ViewPro...tegoryID=738ec9fe-812a-4bb8-a2cb-e9707d2ded69

Hollanders is also a source for really fabulous paper, but don't let me enable anyone :)

shadowdancer

I used some wood boxes from a local DIY store, and hand painted them before airbrushing the designs on. The fronts have swarovski crystals near the top rim. They hold decks vertically and fit most of my decks.

Pic of two of them attached, but I have 5 in total.

There is another larger box I decorated, and have my name on it also. The inside holds a large full size deck, and either two mini's or a mini and some crystals/pendulums etc.

Attachments

• IMG_8638.jpg
    IMG_8638.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_8639.jpg
    IMG_8639.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_8641.jpg
    IMG_8641.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 153

GryffinSong

I bought that book from Amazon and it arrived today. According to that book I've been doing it (almost) all wrong (using all the wrong supplies) all this time.... :(

This is my opinion as an artist. When it comes to arts and crafts there is no such thing as wrong. Ever. If you like the results, than you are using the correct supplies. If the book's supplies work better for you, so be it. Then your previous boxes were a learning opportunity. But wrong? No.

rwcarter

This is my opinion as an artist. When it comes to arts and crafts there is no such thing as wrong. Ever. If you like the results, than you are using the correct supplies. If the book's supplies work better for you, so be it. Then your previous boxes were a learning opportunity. But wrong? No.

Thanks GryffinSong! :heart:

wens_a

I don't think you can be doing it wrong! (as long as your're not using something moldy, I guess :) ) Your boxes are so cool-looking.
I do like using bookbinder's board, though. It's very sturdy, but it is hard to cut well if you don't have the right tools. Measuring and cutting is not as simple as it sounds, but I've gotten better at it. I've used other kinds of cardboard just fine, too. Covering the box with paper hides a lot of mistakes, for sure.

rwcarter

I've been using Illustration board and Elmer's glue. I'll have to try to find the bookbinder's board and glue that are used in the book. Learned early on though to spread the glue out with a brush so that it doesn't pucker the paper.

wens_a

Elmer's is probably fine, but a craft store (like Michael's) or a decent art supply store (depending on your location, I live in NC and it's easier to order online) should have a variety of pvc glues that are better quality and don't have that elmer's stink. For gluing very thin papers I use YES paste, which is kind of a pain because it's clear and hard to see where you put it, but it dries slowly, so you can re-position the paper if you don't get it in the right place.
A glue brush was one of my early learnings, too.

I LOVE BEING FIVE AND CUTTING AND PASTING PAPER.

csmith0406

I know this is an old thread, but I didn't think I should start a new one to show off my box. Mods let me know if I should move this.

I took a used cigar box with a sliding cover, the outside was actually a nice looking gray with metallic silver and embossed logo, so for now I'm not doing anything to the outside. I painted the inside with leftover paint sample, and sealed it with polycrylic. Paint samples don't have the same durability as regular paint so I really need to seal it. I used polycrylic since it dries fast and clear, is water based and easy to clean and has minimal odor.

I took a fabric scrap and glued the seam edge to a piece of cardboard, then placed the fabric cardboard side down into the box. The fabric stays nice and soft with no glue touching my cards.

Here is a picture of my Tabula Mundi home. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0908.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0909.jpg
    IMG_0909.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 156