A Vargo Gothic Book!

Papageno

the theft of intellect and creativity.....shameful, repugnant, disgraceful, disgusting

my mom used to be in textile/fashion design. very early on in her career she, like all artists in that field, would lug her portfolio around to various companies and in one case a design of hers was stolen (unknown to her at the time) .......she thought it must have been an instance where they took the portfolio "into the studio in the work room" where the "head designer could make an assessment".

months later she discovered (in a dept. store) a large bolt of fabric with her design

........I will not be ordering a replacement for my Endora.....haven't used it in months anyway.....that will definitely be on the list for my next raffle.....it has gone stone cold for me now.

it has been removed from the list of decks in my profile and on the What Decks Are In Your Collection thread.

edited:

I've decided the Endora will not be offered in my Halloween raffle after all.

the cards have been ripped up and tossed in the trash.

Disa

Though I gathered something tragic happened from reading previous posts quite some time ago. I knew Alissa had worked on the book, I did not know, however, that she was not compensated or that her name does not appear on the book. That does put a damper on things. I'm really sorry to hear all this.

Disa

Scion

It's funny, when I heard about all this mishegas on the book back in the spring it put me right off all of the Monolith products. I've always thought the VG was sort of a Frankenstein's monster of existing artwork, but shame on Vargo for acting like a monster because he suspected he wouldn't be challenged.

These days, whenever any of Vargo's products decks come up the first word out of my mouth is "plagiaristic" followed by an alliterative expletive referring to part of the male anatomy. And then a string of nasty quips about his weaker points as an artist and employer. Bad behavior of this kind is so common and so difficult to curtail. As Umbrae says, the little guys always get rawdogged unless they're willing to crawl through the litigious mud for no reward but truth. Horrible. My heart goes out to Alissa, more so because she's been so classy and discrete about the whole mess.

Scion

Papageno

Scion said:
My heart goes out to Alissa, more so because she's been so classy and discrete about the whole mess.

Scion

I was completely unaware of this travesty until now, because I never had any interest in the Vargo Gothic.....not sure what made me peek inside this thread but I'm glad I did.

what a repulsive situation.

Disa

The situation is horrible, though I am still so drawn to the cards. I feel a but guilty now when before I was feeling so happy about getting reaquainted with the deck.

Logiatrix

Not saying anyone else should feel the way I do, but I when I picked up the bigger story here, I gave away my deck.

That's just me, though. I can't work with something that is tainted by a negative history. I trust the sources who have no reason but to tell it as truth, and the truth is that the deck comes from repugnant character.

So, (thank goodness) I never bought the book, and I don't own that deck anymore.

Nevermore

This is terrible. It makes me want to give away my deck too. And I'm seriously considering it.
I don't know what happened but if someone has contributed, he or she needs to be credited. Heck, people thank their neighbour in the credits for giving them tea one afternoon and listening to how the work has gone so far!

Skydancer

Oh.
So that's what happened.
I suspected something along that line but didn't know where the thread was that talked about it. Alissa as classy is right. Good for her! She didn't allow herself to be pulled down to their level.

Well - this does change how I feel about the decks. How could they do that. Well I know how, and I know why. It totally sucks.

*lightbulb* Perhaps we could pen her name into the book? And when we find it on bookshelves in stores, discreetly write in her name in the credits? Yeah I know - consequences and all that. But really - it IS an idea ...

Imagine - all over the world, people will buy the book and see her name added and then they can find out for themselves why.

~ ~ Tarot lovers unite!! Let our voices be heard!!! Book publishers beware ~ ~

Scion

I love that! And actually... a way to do it that wouldn't get you into trouble would be to print a small errata insert (amended author line) and tuck it into copies that you find. An errata sheet doesn't damage anyone's stock, yet gets the message across.

I just don't think this book gets sold in brick & mortar stores. And I'm certainly not going to be telling any bookstores to stock it. :mad:

HearthCricket

Under the circumstances I certainly won't buy the book. I don't need it anyhow. But I don't see how ripping up decks done by other artists who have nothing to really do with this fixes the problem. Am I missing something? Did the artist of the Gothic Vargo take all the credit for the book when it was not theirs? And how does the artist of the Madame Endora factor in? Same person? Or just an innocent bystander, who may be just as upset at the situation? If they have nothing to do with it all, why rip or toss out their deck? That seems equally unfair, IMO.