Rune Decks?

ChrisTheObscure

I've decided to satisfy my curiosity about runes, and I have a question: are rune decks effective, or should one use actually stones, pieces of wood, etc? Just looking for your experiences.

Chris

HudsonGray

I've got a rune deck, it's very good for personal things, but doesn't work well for what you'd call 'standard tarot readings'.

Umbrae

one is cartomancy - using runic symbols.

Runes are oracular.

Very different systems.

If you are interested in runes, get runes.

HudsonGray

This is the rune deck I have: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/runes/index.html

You can always get some polymer clay & make your own set of runes. Form it, bake the clay, then rub in Rub N Buff for color, or brown shoe polish. Or leave them plain. Your choice.

blue_fusion

with my experience with actual runes, they seem to be "respond" more to more general questions.

ChrisTheObscure

Thanks very much for the info/advice, everyone.

I think I'm going to try my hand at making a rune set. Samhain weeekend I'm going up to Lake Superior where there are some marvelous pebble beaches, and I'm going to get some stones and paint the symbols on them.

C.

ladycj

Umbrae, thanks for posing those threads. I've missed a lot and didn't even realize it.

I too have the Blum deck. I use the deck, but use the book only for the poetry. I usualy look up the meanings somewhere else. I do however love Blum's breif descripiton for Isa. "That which impeeds Ice" I find it very apt whenever it shows up.

Erik_V

Rune cards

Interesting discussion, one I spent a while getting my psyche around, then i saw illustrations of old rune staves/sticks. While i still feel that the best runes are the ones you discover yourself - small pebbles or shells from trhe breach are great. I am wondering if anyone else likes Donald Tysons rune cards ? Because of the simplicity - many 'rune pictures' are too complicated, if you want Tarot get a T. deck ! Comments ??