Kundalini Awakening

HighPriestesss

To reiterate...

HighPriestesss said:
Right before I fall asleep, or wake up, I get an intense, bright light accompanied with a LOUD BANG resembling a stick of dynamite inside my head. I *see* and *hear* this...with my eyes closed.

By NO MEANS is this euphoric, or better than the big 'O', or better than a 4 carat, etc. It scares the crap out of me! Are we all sure this is really Kundalini???

Rede Seeker

Yikes!

Experiencing Kundalini is like having your house re-wired while you are still living in it. People have been institutionalized because they couldn't process all the energy flowing through them. An excellent book on the subject is by Stanislav Graf, 'Spiritual Emergence'.

connegrl

Another big caution from me. People study yoga for years to prepare to have a Kundalini Awakening. When you aren't prepared its got nasty side effects. That energy burns thru your chakras and then you need to know how to go about living your life. Another way to think about it is a healing crisis. And boy can your past and past fears make themselves known and demand healing. My Awakening was a huge gift. But, it would have been nicer if I could have done the work in a more gentle way. And yeah, if you're not prepared it can be scarey. You just aren't prepared. There are physical side effects and any western doctor is just going to think you're nuts. The psychic side effects have been known to get people committed. I was ready to commit myself. Once you do find someone skilled in energy work they can help you rebalance yourself to the new you. Healing Touch practitioners are a good place to start. Can't tell you what a blessing it was when I started to feel like I could function.

Jen

Liz C

Kundalini awakening can happen when you start on a spiritual path with a bonafide Guru (enlightened being).

Swami Muktananda wrote a detailed book about his own experience, it is called 'Play of Consciousness'.

Kahlie

memries said:
Why be afraid ? Study the phenomenon and progress from there.

Memries,

For most people this is a scary experience, because they can't study it, it's already happening. In their lives, in their minds, emotions and Spirit. That's why it can be frightening.

Yes, Kundalini can cause problems. Yes, I wouldn't advise anybody to go through it without guidance, if you want to go for it. However, what of those, like me who go through it spontaneously and then have to pick up the pieces?

However, Kundalini happens for a reason. Don't let *anything* rob you from your own Power, including Kundalini. You can heal the discomfort and side-effects.

As others have said, the Energy goes through each of your Chakras, trying to remove blockages. For some, like me, the initial process was very nice, powerful and happy, with some side-effects that were a bit disturbing. (Bowel Problems, Emotional Swings, Lightheadedness etc.) I managed to heal the side-effects, and big chucks of my life. I still am busy with Kundalini using it as a positive force. It's in my life, I can't get rid of it and I wouldn't want that either. Especially since the only side-effect now and again is a bruised Ego, I can live with that ;)

There are those, mostly people who have meditated for a long time, but not under supervision, or done Tai'Chi or Yoga, to whom the process is devastating, because they build up a lot of Spiritual Power, without Awareness, and then the Power can *burst* through Chakra Blockages, and out of the alignment with the Spine. Causing it to spill over, out of the Chakras, into the body, and then it causes problems.

However, even experienced people can have a Kundalini Awakening that is painful. Some stop any spiritual practice, including meditation, others have had benefits by Energy Healing, and for some that just adds to the energy and makes it worse.

I was going to write some of the Visualizations I've done to help with my personal side-effects. However, I'm going out today.

I do have some information about Chakras on my website that is helpful too if you are going through Kundalini. The cleaner and less burdened your Chakras are, the less chances energy runs wild, and so the least side-effects.

Kahlie

Liralen

There is a method called Tao Yoga in which you collect the energy in the center of your body. It is said to be safe and to prevent the negative side-effects of most other methods of kundalini awakening. You might want to look into that.

Alissa

There is nothing to fear in awakening one's own kundalini. However, Western mindset that stresses Get To The Top Quickly will bring about bad and unpleasant results... blow open your crown chakra and you won't feel very good.

Funny you should seek a good book on awakening your kundalini... wespecially since the reason I opened this thread was regarding one of my favorite books on kundalini meditations: Kundalini Awakening by John Selby. His methods stress balance and gentle activation, not blow-your-mind-with-psychic-fireworks approach.

As in all metaphyscial practices, go mindfully into yourself and be humble. If your motivation for seeking the High Priestess' awakening is noble, She will respond nobly. Kundalini is She.

HighPriestesss

Kahlie said:
There are those, mostly people who have meditated for a long time, but not under supervision, or done Tai'Chi or Yoga, to whom the process is devastating, because they build up a lot of Spiritual Power, without Awareness, and then the Power can *burst* through Chakra Blockages, and out of the alignment with the Spine. Causing it to spill over, out of the Chakras, into the body, and then it causes problems.

Although I have not meditated for a long time, or even a short time for that matter (can count times on 1 hand), it is all on my own. I guess not knowing what I was doing, figured it wasn't really doing ANYthing, but on the contrary, it must be super duper powerful! LOL

Having experienced this many, many times, I've come to feel something subtle inside my body (back area?) just before the brain ZAPS! Last night when I felt that trigger, I immediately opened my eyes to prevent the attack (and it worked). I visioned a protective white light all around me and prayed nothing would interrupt my sleep...and I slept good.

Having read all the book advice, I just ordered John Selby's "Kundalini Awakening: A Gentle Guide to Chakra Activation and Spiritual Growth" and Stanislav Grof's "Spiritual Emergency (New Consciousness Reader)" online, and they should be here in a few days or so.

Knowing nothing about the chakras, I've got a question that may sound silly. Ok....here it goes. LOL

No matter what I eat or drink, I can NEVER burp. I can tell when I'd like to or need to, but my body does not do it and I cannot force one. Now having said that, why is it, that when I sleep, it is THEN my body decides it's time to let out a BIG ONE!!! I can be sleeping peacefully, and whammO! It comes out with such gusto, I feel like I just spewed all over my pillow! (sorry for the details) I never do, it was just a burp...or was it?

(Gosh, now I feel like that prisoner in the Green Mile who expelled all those green nasties from his throat!!)

Could this be (throat) chakra related?

Kahlie

HighPriestress said:
Knowing nothing about the chakras, I've got a question that may sound silly. Ok....here it goes. LOL

No matter what I eat or drink, I can NEVER burp. I can tell when I'd like to or need to, but my body does not do it and I cannot force one. Now having said that, why is it, that when I sleep, it is THEN my body decides it's time to let out a BIG ONE!!! I can be sleeping peacefully, and whammO! It comes out with such gusto, I feel like I just spewed all over my pillow! (sorry for the details) I never do, it was just a burp...or was it?

From what I just read, no, I wouldn't say Throat Chakra related, more likely Third Chakra related.

Your Third Chakra is more or less at the site of your belly-button and inwards. It's your Power Chakra. This one is for expressing your own personal Power, by acting like you want, not being manipulated by anybody etc.

Often, I see people who have lost their own personal Power by doing what society or their mom/dad/insert person tells them to do have problems burping. They have trouble releasing their own Power and the negativity of the values of others that are forced upon them.

This ring a bell?

Kahlie

Alissa

I agree with Kahlie on the third chakra over fifth chakra as being a source to look to in order to remedy and address this. Her issues she raises about loss of power are very good.

Consider also that burping involves the diaphram, which is located in the third chakra area. If you have an unconscious physical pattern of "holding" your diaphram tightly while awake, this would explain some of the inability to release during waking hours, but not while sleeping. This too would suggest that it's not a "problem" with the diaphram itself, but the awareness upon waking that changes how you hold this muscle within the body.