Dreaming of owls

Pao

does anyone here have the owl as an animal totem? i am not very familair w/ it and would love to know what its trying to tell me.

tarot4fun

For me, I accept whatever animals come to me at different times as a ‘mini-totem’ that I need for that season. I do have a particular totem animal, and I really appreciate the messages I receive from our little friends.
The owl came to me at one of these times. I grew up in the south U.S. where you can hear Screech Owls in the woods. But a few years ago, almost at Christmas, an owl came to our yard and perched on our phone wire from the evening and into the night. When I walked the dog he watched us and made a sweet, soft ‘hoot’ that I had never heard in real life before. The owl returned with a mate for the next two of three seasons, and while I never saw him again, I heard him and his family in the trees all around our house.
That’s the story, now here is the meaning for me: Owls represent wisdom, but they also represent death and rebirth. I knew that this was a message that something in me needed to die, and I needed the wisdom to deal with it properly.

mingbop

I'm not into totem animals etc but I have dreamt of owls a few times... nobody died, nothing dire happened, and I learned a lot over the following weeks. If that helps !

Pao

thank you both. i do have my own totem who is not the owl, who i absolutely love! but the owl came to me last night in this dream and let me tell you very persistent creature, she came along with an eagle and I know they wanna tell me something but i can t figure out what. perhaps its a msg of rebirth, but again who knows what needs to "die". it was white owl very pretty and i was th only one who could see it. I just wished i knew what they were trying to tell me!! :)

tarot4fun

"...they put out wings like eagles..." Isaiah 39

Remember, the answers are in you; why not spend some time meditating? :)
Blessings~

celticnoodle

Pao, I believe the owl is my totem animal. I have always been attracted to owls, and in every house I've ever lived in, we've had an owl nearby that we can hear. And, usually in a tree very close to our house! There is also something quite calming to me when I hear them and/or see them.

yes, owls mean wisdom. but they are also a symbol of psychic powers, as well as death. not necessarily a physical death--but as tarot4fun mentioned-death and rebirth.

Pao

thanx!!! ok so....hm...wisdom, psychic powers and rebirth....that could be the msg then...like maybe ill get better w my psychic powers which actually has been pretty cool lately minus my tarot block and rebirth well hey thats never bad! i hope to get more insight soon. thanx guys!

BodhiSeed

Pao,
I've had a few lovely experiences with owls... What magnificent birds they are! One of their traits is that they eat all of their prey, then later cough up a pellet of fur, bones, etc. that they don't need. So, for me, this means giving up something that is no longer useful (or healthy), whether it is a belief, behavior etc.

Bodhran

Bat Chicken

Some times an animal can appear as a 'guide' and the best way to uncover a possible message is to read up on it or, if possible, observe its behavior. The 'meaning' or 'symbolism' of an animal is very much a part of the culture from which that meaning originates.

For example Owls have a very different meaning to the Siberian First Nations as compared to the Europeans and again to the various different peoples in North America. The best thing to do is to think about what the owl means to you and the things it represented to the cultural environment in which you grew up. It is a symbol to you and your sub-conscious - find out what stories were told to you as a child.

Another good thing to do is to read up on owl behavior. What can you glean from how the owl lives? Do you know what kind of owl it was? How could its life inform yours? Bodhran's suggestion is wonderful along those lines... :)

YDM42

Do you know what kind of Owl it was or is?