Madame Endora The Caduceus?

Pao

I can honestly say that i have no idea what this card is or represents. The only thing i can think of is doctors and healing.

i remember i asked what the cards could tell me about a person and this card jumped out while i shuffled soo i figured it meant they need healing and must be in some kind of pain. but still i cant connect with this card at all.

doing some research i found it can mean:

harmony and balance, a healthy balance?
spiritual growth
ascension of the soul

not one of my favorites unfortunately :(

Disa

ok lets see... I generally have no idea what a caduceus means either, other than healing so .. I'll just say what I see. I'm noticing the 2 serpants embracing the "poll" or stem of the "wand". This represents kundalini energy to me. An awakening of ones own power. The wand has wings branching off the top of it which seems spiritual to me. So I would venture to say this card could be about awakening your spiritual or intuitive powers.

I see the symbols in the top of the wand within the circle-does that specific symbol mean something or is it 3 separate symbols. Male/female/a cup on top? It seems very balanced to me, symmetrical, things all lining up.

Maybe someone will say the magick words that will make this card click for us.

Pao

I hope so! haha

i like your kundalini view. it might be a spiritual awakening like you say. i think when i first saw it i thought of an ambulance. Im sure there's a lot more to this card that we just arent seeing just yet.

celticnoodle

I've always thought it to mean a healing also, or at least one that would be coming to the client, if not recently received. However, I just looked this up on google and the brittanica encyclopedia online had this to say about it--

Over the centuries, the caduceus was brought into the esoteric Gnostic tradition and reappears as symbolic of power and the balance between positive and negative or darkness and light. It has a special place in the rich iconography of speculative Freemasonry. As Eastern and Western symbology has mixed and merged in the twentieth century, the ancient caduceus has emerged as a symbol of enlightenment and acquisition of the ancient wisdom.

so, I'd see it as symbolizing enlightenment and wisdom, and not necessarily as a healing of sorts in the physical way now. Of course, the booklet that comes with this deck says that it pertains to a healing process that has begun. also to expect good news from afar. since these 12 cards in 'the treasury' represent fulfilling your true destiny, i wonder if the caduceus could also represent achieving the wisdom and enlightenment to fulfill your destiny. this could be a 'sort of' healing, if you finally have that "ah ha!" moment when you figure it out. thus this is the wisdom & enlightenment to your situation. sort of like the high priestess in the RW deck. Not one of my favorite cards either.

.traveller.

Isn't the caduceus associated with Mercury the messenger as well?

Pao

celticnoodle said:
so, I'd see it as symbolizing enlightenment and wisdom, and not necessarily as a healing of sorts in the physical way now. Of course, the booklet that comes with this deck says that it pertains to a healing process that has begun. also to expect good news from afar. since these 12 cards in 'the treasury' represent fulfilling your true destiny, i wonder if the caduceus could also represent achieving the wisdom and enlightenment to fulfill your destiny. this could be a 'sort of' healing, if you finally have that "ah ha!" moment when you figure it out. thus this is the wisdom & enlightenment to your situation. sort of like the high priestess in the RW deck. Not one of my favorite cards either.

hmm... ok i see the healing part of it maybe physical but maybe more spiritual like spiritual growth perhaps. and like you mention achieving wisdom and enlightment. i dont know this card really confuses me.

.traveller. said:
Isn't the caduceus associated with Mercury the messenger as well?

hmm so...maybe it can pertain to phone calls, emails, some kind of message to be received? will it be concerning healing or growth or just a message pertaining to the question?

celticnoodle

Pao said:
hmm... ok i see the healing part of it maybe physical but maybe more spiritual like spiritual growth perhaps. and like you mention achieving wisdom and enlightment. i dont know this card really confuses me.
yeah, me too, that's why I rarely use this deck. however, when I saw this thread, i just had to pull it out again and contribute.

Pao said:
hmm so...maybe it can pertain to phone calls, emails, some kind of message to be received? will it be concerning healing or growth or just a message pertaining to the question?
yes, I'd see it as such.

Pao

Im glad you joined the discussion celticnoodle! :D we need all the help we can get, specially with cards like these!

squeakmo9

I see this card as coming as a bit of a surprise. Receiving healing in an unexpected manner, like CelticNoodle said that "ah ha!" moment/message. It's the last piece of the puzzle from an unlikely source.

purple_scorp

Hi all,

Just saw your posts and thought I'd drop by and add my two cents. I don't have a physical copy of the deck though, which may see me come up with a totally different interpretation.

When I saw this card, and then the text that appears beneath it, it didn't seem to fit with each other.

But on closer inspection, I can see at the top, there is the astrological symbol for Mercury (which is the planet of communication). And, so I can see where the text now fits in.

Gees, I looked up the text that I had with the electronic deck and it doesn't reveal much at all.

So, I looked up a book I had on zodiac symbology to see if that shed any more light on the mercury glyph.

"The union of all three symbols represents the equilibrium of all three planes of consciousness. Subconsciousness at the top shows that it is purified and up-lifted to receive inspiration and spiritual wisdom"

Now, I have to say, when I saw those wings on the caduceus I wondered whether this message would be coming from the other side - or from angels!

"The cross below symbolises self-consciousness at work adjusting personal life and physical environment. Superconsciousness in the centre supports the receptive power and sends wisdom to the self-conscious plane."

Could this be the reason for the entwining snakes? A joining of both conscious and subconscious minds, possibly through a healing?

"Thus, Mercury helps us assimilate all our earthly experiences and adjusts conflicts between inner and outer experiences - which is the challenge of life on the physical plane. Because this influence works to perpetuate human evolution, Mercury, even though it is one of the smallest planets in size, may indeed be considered the greatest of them all."

So, perhaps not only is this a message or healing from angels, spirt etc.....perhaps this is a test to see if you can rise to a challenge. The pole down the middle of the caduceus is quite solid, but also rigid. The fluidity of the snakes entwining the pole is not only phallic, but also a reminder that we need to remain flexible and we do play a part in shaping our future. Even if at first we need a gentle hand to perhaps heal a past hurt.

I don't know why I came to this thread, and now I think I'm waffling, so I think I'll finish here.

with love
purple_scorp