Owl dream

Amanda B

I dreamed last night that an owl landed on my back and I could not shake it. Sometimes it would sit on my shoulder. It was just there, a benevolent presence. At first I tried to get it to fly away, but then I just got used to it. It became my constant companion.

Any thoughts on what this might mean? I got the following from the web:

Dream Interpreation Owl, owls: Dream Interpretations Dictionary - Owl, owls

By Dream-Land Dream Interpretation Dictionary

Owl, owls : Dream Interpretation Dictionary - Owl, owls

The owl is a symbol of wisdom, seriousness and thoughtfulness. Dreaming of an owl in the dream means that your judgement of a personal situation or a person was correct. It also could mean that some vague matter became much clearer. Seeing an owl in the dream may also mean that you should take good advice from others. Hearing an owl screeching denotes bad luck, frustration, grief or sadness. Catching an owl or seeing an owl in the cage means that you should be careful of weird people and bad company.

Thanks for any ideas!
AB

celticnoodle

Amanda B said:
I dreamed last night that an owl landed on my back and I could not shake it. Sometimes it would sit on my shoulder. It was just there, a benevolent presence. At first I tried to get it to fly away, but then I just got used to it. It became my constant companion.

Any thoughts on what this might mean? I got the following from the web:
The owl is a symbol of wisdom, seriousness and thoughtfulness. Dreaming of an owl in the dream means that your judgement of a personal situation or a person was correct. It also could mean that some vague matter became much clearer. Seeing an owl in the dream may also mean that you should take good advice from others. Hearing an owl screeching denotes bad luck, frustration, grief or sadness. Catching an owl or seeing an owl in the cage means that you should be careful of weird people and bad company.

Thanks for any ideas!
AB
I am thinking that possibly since you tried to get it to fly away, but it refused, is telling you that you need to take good advice from others, as it mentions here in your interpretation. are you doing something, or keeping bad company as also mentioned in the interpretation above?

I usually think the owl is only about wisdom, and was surprised to read the rest of what you found.

BodhiSeed

The first image I had when I read the description of your dream was Athena, Greek goddess of wisdom, war (as protectress), and crafts whose animal symbol was the owl:
http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/myth/myathena.htm

Perhaps reading about Athena might trigger an "aha!" moment in regard to your dream.

For me personally, the owl represents wisdom and mystery. It also represents getting rid of that which no longer serves you (because the owl, after eating, will cough up a pellet of fur and bones that is not digested).

Bodhran

mystic mal

This will freak you out!!! I went to a conference on the Paramormal and there was a professor from Harvard University talking on U.F.O's and went on to talk about alien abductions and there were quite a few people in the audience that had had such an encounter supposedley. He said that the experience was like having a dream and usually people would talk of having an OWL with them,touching them etc but it was how the mind came through with an encounter with a little grey ALIEN!! Hey up...you are a special case maybe?

Amanda B

Wow, Mystic Mal! I certainly wasn't expecting that interpretation. I don't think it was an alien encounter veiled as a dream, but it is certainly interesting food for thought!

Bodhran, I certainly like the idea of getting rid of that which is no longer useful - I think we all have those elements in our lives. I know I do!

Celticnoodle - On the whole I think I keep pretty good company. However, I do have some negative habits that could be gotten rid of, and I'd probably be better off for it.

I also remembered something - a couple of weeks ago I saw an owl in real life. I think it's the first time I ever saw an owl in the wild.

Thank you all for your posts!

Amanda B

Vadella

There might be something going on in your life that you need to keep your eyes opened for. A secret that will bring things to light for you.

XX
Vad

YDM42

Hi if you saw an owl in real life- then dreamed about it, I would look up the totem animal meaning of the owl. It may be an animal who is working with you right now.

Owls have long been associated with both death and wisdom. The only time I have ever seen one and a gigantic one was during the day time- shortly before my father passed away. I/ we all saw it just as I was telling my co-workers my father was just fine, and someone responded to me that "they usually get fine, happy and upbeat just before they pass away"...

Your dream could signify a wisdom that you have earned and it is here to stay. Kind of makes me think of a time in my life where I "wished" I didn't know what I knew ---kind of wished I was innocent or dumb , or unaware, because it would have been easier at the time. This is what your dream reminds me off- wisdom becoming a burden (monkey on your back) or not wanting to be responsible for the wisdom you have attained.
----------
Owel-Totem

Death and rebirth, releasing that which has outlived it's benefit and usefulness in your life, actual physical death transition, can be placed in a bowl of water and used to help earth bound Souls find their guides and loved ones. Clearing a home or land of negative energy. Starting over in a new life or releasing the ties that kept you bound to the old one. Enhances clairvoyance, clairaudience, communication from one's Master Guides and Totems.

Vadella

YDM42 said:
Kind of makes me think of a time in my life where I "wished" I didn't know what I knew ---kind of wished I was innocent or dumb , or unaware, because it would have been easier at the time.

No, Doubt! It's exhausting.

MoonLitCrystal

This is strange, because I heard an owl the other night for the first time since we've lived in this house (almost 2 years). I know that they are not very common in this area, and it just strikes me odd how one appears all of the sudden. He hooted 2 or 3 times and then quit, and I haven't heard him again since.

It's also odd because I was house-sitting for my aunt the night before I heard the owl, and when she called she said, "If you sit out on the balcony you might hear an owl, we have on in the woods." I didn't hear that owl...my mom jokes that he followed me home and showed himself the next night ;)

memries

I am replying before I read the posts.

The Owl came to you to bring wisdom to you and now you have it.
It was a sign to think things through before you take steps or to be wise in handling your affairs.

I would take it as a very positive happening and since Owls have big eyes that can look all around them, even in the rear, I would make sure I looked all around me as well. It is how to go forward. Since it landed on your back that idea would even be more reinforced.

They are a nocturnal bird so although I do not understand what that means,
I would try to consider it. Also they spot their prey before they swoop on them so that means they size up many things before they do. The wind, the air, any obstructions, their chance of succeeding, etc. Is it really something they want to eat ? Lots of things.

Very fierce birds but they can be tamed but they are still Owls and their nature is different from ours. Perhaps a guide is in the form of an Owl. It is certainly a Totem bird for you to study.