Divination and Christianity

Kenny

Mod's I'm not sure where this should be but I'm taking a guess it might fit in Talking Tarot. If not please move it to the right section.

I know this guy at work, he's a cool guy, friendly, chatty, non-pushy, funny at times. Once he found out that I am intrested in Christianity (serious I am) he started getting very slightly conversiony (not too bad and it's intresting).

I talked to him about tarot and he said it is the work of Satan.

This morning he came in with a newsletter from Derek Prince Ministry called 'Understanding Your Enemy'.

After reading the newsletter I had doubts about the rightness of divination and tarot reading--this is from a person who had do doubts about it before I read the letter. Imagine a person who is not so sure about tarot, runes, astrology, and the like, reading this letter. It would put them off for life and make them, maybe, devoted to 'save' others.

coeur

I think it is important for everyone to investigate more than one resource when it comes to opinion-based articles. Reading religious articles written by impassioned Christian conservatives is about as good as reading political articles concerning the US written by impassioned Islamic fundamentalists--both will tend to twist things into extremes and provide a limited, one-sided analysis of the situation.

Those who fall easily into the traps of radical articles frequently are not aware of less radical arguments and approaches. In short, it is difficult to scare those who have read a wide range of articles on the same issue. The problem is the spirit of research and questioning is fairly dead--perhaps always has been too--in human society. Most people do not tend to question the validity of evidence presented in published articles. Many people think, "if it's published, then it must be true--it must be THE authority on the subject."

Of course, in religion, hardly anything is THE authority--not even the Pope can speak for all Christianity. Furthermore, not even the Bible can stand as the sole indicator of Christian culture and practice because of the several thousands of years of evolution the Church has undergone. How is it, after all, a Protestant and a Catholic can have such differing views on Christianity when they both derive from the same book?

There are many sins the Bible mentions, some of which we have probably committed, not through lack of faith or goodness, but through being human. Who has not been jealous? Who has not spoken ill of other people? Who has not indulged in food? Who has not doubted God and His existence? I do not believe even the most devout Christian has failed to sin once or twice in his or her entire life.

RufusJ

And that's the effect the author of the letter wants to have happen.

At best, the author believes the information, which could be faulty, may come from demons and will lead someone away from Christ. At worst... well, I don't want to put my cynical hat on, however it would be interesting to see if Derek Prince still uses the spiritual gift of prophecy, which is the Christian counterpart (in pentecostal/charismatic circles) to divination. Also, if memory serves me, Derek Prince had/has a deliverance ministry.

Indigo Rose here has some excellent posts dealing with Tarot and Christianity. I seem to remember she mentions that in Genesis, Joseph dreams and foretells the future and also has a scrying cup.

The question is: does truth come only from a benign source? Or can truth be used by a malignant source for its own purpose?

rufusj

The crowned one

It is all a part of the big picture to me, its just how you put the lttle pieces together. He chooses to fit them in such a way that to divine,unless god does it for you, is evil.(this is an assumption on my part..could not find the letter) I choose to make the pieces fit in a way that lets the two worlds co-exist peacefully and perhaps to the benefit of one another. All things are a beautiful intertwining balance of energy and matter they co-exist together in harmony. Our interpertations just vary. Tapping into cosmic energy is not against the will of god in my books.

Tiro DvD

Most sound Christian theology on divination is against it because of their world view and given information and it goes something like this: The Universe is Monotheistic not Pantheistic so there is no per se conduit to "ultimate universal knowledge" etc. so any information bout the future must be given by a non-human external source. Second Free Will truly exists for humanity. As such the future (and present) is always moving and changing making divination futile. Finally God is loving and caring. A person just need to worry about loving Him rather and exercising it with Trust in knowing that all things needed for this life is provided. Get good things, then be gracious and enjoy them. Get bad things, then be gracious and grow stronger from them. With a complete intimate relationship with God there is no need to worry about the past, present, future, self, or others.

Taking those postulates it doesn't seem too extraordinary not to consult divination. It being as sinful as mistrusting your spouse/children/friends.

kmartin60

christianity....

Im a hard core, conservative, pentacostal...talk in tongues, slain in the spirit, the whole blood-saved christian. But.....

If you look at a NIV bible, and then go to the "Strongs concordance" the ONLY thing I found thats was a no-no is to have a familiar. (From the definition in the Strongs I gather it is talking to unknown sprits) and one has to admit that can be a dangerous thing.

I have been doing tarot, remote viewing, pendulums, auto handwriting and a few more things now for almost 2 years, but I always kinda check in that its cool with my Lord first, and then I ground and shield myself well before I start.

I would advise sitting in prayer and in the Lord's presence to make your decision about tarot. Surly if HE has a problem HE will let us know? I would think. That is my belief. Good luck, a fellow Mystical Christian, Kim

the_surfacer

Over the years, I have learned that people who couch religious arguments in terms of "us and them" or "allies and enemies" are usually not a good source of honest information, because they have a great deal to gain from demonising others' differences.

I'll leave the actual theological arguments to the wise, well-spoken posters above me, but I did just want to say that you shouldn't abandon everything on this man's word alone.

Skysteel

Kenny said:
After reading the newsletter I had doubts about the rightness of divination and tarot reading--this is from a person who had do doubts about it before I read the letter.

Is that a problem?

Lillie

kmartin60 said:
If you look at a NIV bible, and then go to the "Strongs concordance" the ONLY thing I found thats was a no-no is to have a familiar. (From the definition in the Strongs I gather it is talking to unknown sprits) and one has to admit that can be a dangerous thing.

I havn't read the NIV.
I like the King James, what ever they say about it.
And I find it is pretty harsh on a lot of things.

raising the spirits of the dead is definately bad. Cos thingy got done for it when he went to the witch of Endor.
I know also that you shouldn't cut the corners off your head, and if your house gets red or green mold you should burn it down.
Furthermore if you have an illegitimate child you are cursed unto the tenth generation.

Which means that me and my son and any subsequent decendants are damned already, so I can pretty much do as I please, cos what they going to do?
Damn me twice?

Abrac

I've written about this before and still feel the same about it.

In the New Testament, the source from which Christianity derives its doctrine, there is only one incident where something akin to divination took place. In Acts chapter 1, after praying, lots were cast to determine who would take Judas' place. Throughout the NT all forms of magic and sorcery are condemned. Down through time the original teachings of Christianity became mixed with other religious and philosophical doctrines and now many things are accepted by Christians that were never part of the original teaching. I'm not making a moral judgment about it one way or another. But I can see where fundamentalists are coming from, and to me they may actually have some good points.

If divination is from the Devil, as it may well be, then I guess I'm going to Hell.