General-use Tarot Book

Demonesse

Can anyone recommend a good general-use tarot book which is applicable for any (almost) deck and gives CLEAR insight into the actual divinatory meaning of the cards so it's easier for me to understand how a particular card fits into a reading?

If possible, I don't want to buy books that come in a set if possible (eg Mythic, Halloween), because the interpretation tends to favour only that particular set. I've seen 78 Degrees of Wisdom mentioned many times as a good book, but I do not like Rachel Pollack's Shining Tribe and Shining Woman sets at all - so, any alternatives for fussy me?

wavebreaker

78 Degrees of Wisdom is based on the Rider-Waite, but it can easily be used as a general book. It focuses on the symbolism of the cards. Although I wouldn't recommend it as a beginner's book.

Another general book you could try is Learning the Tarot by Joan Bunning (which is also available online). This one is also based on the Rider-Waite, but can very well be used for other R/W-based decks.

You might also want to check out The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals by Mary K. Greer. It contains extensive descriptions of all the cards in both upright and reversed positions.

Maan

Well its ofcourse my personal opinion but the books of janina Renee are very good. There are pictures of different decks so you can use it for almost every deck, clearly written, humor,very insightful ans stil practical down to earth!

O and the book from michele morgan "a magical course in tarot" is also one of my top five books.

"Phoenix....where are you? You should come down here and tell us how good, great and wunderful the books from janina renee are .. you did make me buy them remember? ;)"

Phoenix

LOL!! Yes! I would also reccomend anything by Janina Renee....TArot for a new Generation is excellent!

Lee

I agree with Maan and Phoenix about Janina Renee, my vote would go for Tarot for a New Generation.

ihcoyc

Gareth Knight's The Magical World of the Tarot is pretty good, and is geared to be used with just about any traditional deck. It focuses on visualizing the cards rather than memorizing meanings for them, which is its chief strength.

Anthony Louis's Tarot Plain and Simple contains a near-encyclopedic reference of various keywords for each card, trumps or pips. It's chief fault is that it may contain too much information, and doesn't present it in any kind of organized way. It too is geared to be used with any deck. It is illustrated with the Robin Wood deck but makes no specific reference to that deck's images. Its treatment of the minors goes by number instead of by suit, which I believe is a better way to organize that section. If you can abstract out a general meaning for, "five," and apply that meaning to cups, coins, clubs, or swords, you're well on your way to mastering the minors.

Along similar lines, Bill Butler's Dictionary of the Tarot, a/k/a The Definitive Tarot, collects the basic meanings from most of the older "classical" writers. It's far from perfect, but it provides a pretty useful service in this regard.

I couldn't recommend Rachel Pollack's 78 Degrees of Wisdom for what you seem to be looking for specifically. That book is probably the classic reference for the Rider-Waite-Smith deck. It goes into detail on such things as the attitudes, expressions, and sexes of the figures that appear in those cards. As such it can't be fully applicable to a RWS clone, and may be quite difficult to use for another deck entirely.

Keslynn

My vote also goes for Janina Renee's Tarot for a New Generation. Anytime I need an extra kick for trying to figure out a certain card, this is the book I go to. She's also got some interesting spread ideas in there.

:) Kes

Woof

Check out your local library

I couldn't believe the books at my local library! (Mystical Tarot - Rosemary E. Guiley, Choice Centered Tarot - Gail Fairfield to name a few) I took out a third of the ones on the shelf and got some great books that have been recommended here. It's nice to read a bunch before you buy so you can decide if you like it before you shell out the money.
Woof

Demonesse

Thanks everyone for your recommendations - although I don't think they even know what tarot is at the local library :)

truthsayer

2 general books that i like are "tarot for dummies" by amber jayanti and "tarot companion: an essential reference guide includes symbolism dictionary" by tracy porter. lots of general info written in an entertaining style in dummies. jayanti also wrote "living the tarot". tarot companion has a lot of quick and to the point infor. it's not as entertaining in writing style as dummies but this is definitely a handy book.

"learning the tarot" by joan bunning is a long time fav. of course, you can download it free it at her internet site but i decided it was easier just to buy the book.