Information on The Complete Magician's Table

tabi

I'm not technically sure where to put this. I have seen this in the Llewellyn's New World catalog and was wondering if someone else can give me more information. From this site it seems to be more of a Crowley-ish and more Egyptain magickal aspect to it. Really I was wanting to know if it covers mostly Egyptain (and Thoth) ideas or does it cover a wider range of magick?

Please move if in the wrong place...

Thanks in advance,
Tabi

Scion

Oh no Tabi, a MUCH wider range of magic.

Skinner isn't a Crowley-based magician at all, from what I can tell. In fact most of his work involves a 17th century ceremonial magician named Dr. Thomas Rudd, and the continuous line of magical tradition from the Renaissance to the Enlightenment that was preserved and employed by alooseknit group of working magicians in England and abroad.

In this book, Skinner literally tries to accomplish something like Crowley did in 777 but without any of the overt bias. Skinner set out to create an updated occult resource. A very few of Skinner's attributions are idiosyncratic, but he is generous with the footnotes and invariably explains any leapos in logic. (With the exception of his Feng Shui tables... something I've been discussing elsewhere on AT.

The reason that Lashtal review seems Crowley focussed is because it is one of the most popular Crowley Forum/Blogs. The reviewer was just seeing Skinner's book through that lens. There's Golden Dawn material in here, but it's always identified. And there's a LOT of non-GD material as well.

It's a fabulous book. And something like it is long overdue.

Scion

mnemosyne7

I'd second Scion's post. This is an amazing book. Rather like 777 on steroids. It was worth every single penny, and is off my bookshelf more than it is shelved. There was a wonderful interview with Skinner on the Thelema Coast to Coast podcast a few months back. You might want to pull that one up if you want to hear more about his research for the book.

Mnem

Scion

mnemosyne7 said:
It was worth every single penny, and is off my bookshelf more than it is shelved.
That's so funny Mnem! I'm the same way. It's in front of me on the desk as I'm typing this.

I originally ordered it directly from Skinner in Asia and dug through it constantly while writing this summer. When I saw a Llewellyn copy at the Strand here in NYC for $10, I snapped it up so I'd have a copy to really use and abuse. Which is how I wound up with both editions...

tabi

Thank you both, I was slightly confused from the review what it was. Since I wasn't familiar with the Liber 777 at all I was lost on what it was. I did find a free site for the Liber 777 though. Pretty neat if you're into that aspect of magic. :D

I was thinking about asking for it as a gift and wanted to be sure I would use it before I got it. However I think I might go ahead and ask my hunny to buy it for my bday! :D (It's tomorrow but I can wait for it!)

tabi

So I asked for and got the book, I got it yesterday in the mail. However I woke up at around 830 and had to be at work at 1000 so I didn't have a whole lot of time to do more then flip through the pages. I'm going to try to read more indepth this weekend since I'm off until Monday night again. WOOHOO!! :D

Just by flipping through it though it makes more sense then the Liber 777 by Crowley. The set up in this book is also neater and a little easier to follow, which is good for a newbie. ;)

fyreflye

Thanks for bringing this important book to my attention. If anyone is looking to buy it at discount I found it at Overstock.com for $31.14 including shipping within the US.
http://tinyurl.com/ynpw8l

tabi

I think Tim got mine at Buy.com for around 27-ish if you looking to buy it fyreflye. I typed in buy, the title and it gave me a listing of the book for different price range. :D

fyreflye

tabi said:
I think Tim got mine at Buy.com for around 27-ish if you looking to buy it fyreflye. I typed in buy, the title and it gave me a listing of the book for different price range. :D

I've already bought it. I did a search for vendors using both Google and AdALL. AdALL didn't list a single vendor for it new or used worldwide but Google found three, two around the same price including Overstock and from whom I purchased it because I already have an account there and the shipping was cheap. I'm going to do another search today using the ISBN, but I'm sure I'll never find a better deal than that lucky dog in NYC who got it for $10.

UPDATE: Here's today's listing on AdALL using the ISBN:
http://tinyurl.com/ytq38b
Notice that neither BuyCom nor Overstock are listed. Maybe I'll hear from Overstock today that they're out of stock. Strange that when I searched AdALL yesterday using the exact title there were no listings at all.

UPDATE 2: Overstock shipped it this morning.