To dream of an Angel?

.traveller.

the desert

I was thinking about the desert in terms of a journey, the theme of which had occurred previously in another dream. I think the real me is tied to this journey. I also looked up a reference that kept coming to mind regarding the role of the desert in the bible.

Historically, deserts have served to distinguish the essential from the superfluous. Therefore, a desert experience has been an excellent lens with which to focus on what really matters and to learn what may be impossible to learn in more stable environments. The desert experience of the ancient Hebrews, as they journeyed from Egypt, land of slavery, to Canaan, land of promise, embodied a number of timeless spiritual truths in the context of an environmental framework where priorities became crystal clear.
I found that quote here

I am reminded of a promise I made and I think I need to pick up a bible. I've never studied it, although somehow I know all of the bible stories. I didn't learn them from my family.
Here's the link to that other dream Not quite dead, now I am seeing parallels to the valley of dead.

Thank you for chatting with me about this, it really helps to brainstorm with others to get a better perspective. :)

willowfox

I have always taken an angel to be both a messenger and a helper or guide.

memries

Hello Willowfox, welcome. I agree.

Traveller. I will read it all after and reply just cannot right now but I have read the whole Bible from first to last and studied. It is an amazing thing really. I decided to read it as a novel and not get sidetracked. I did.
Drove my husband nuts he kept buying me books to read ! LOL
I used a version New Jerusalem Bible translated by many scholars and in modern language. Including all the books in the Catholic Bible. The King James leaves out a lot of books. Then I read all the Apocrypha .. books not accepted in the Bible you hear referenced all the time.. like St. Thomas, etc.
The Apocrypha you might have to read in the Library. I never found it to buy but they might have it now.

To my horror I found that some Protestand groups consider the Catholic Version with the additional books as Apocrypha. I am not talking about that. For example Tobit is in the Catholic bible it is not Apocrypha to me.
It is so freaking confusing sometimes.

If you decide to buy one consider NIV teachers edition with all the footnotes.
I am NOT getting religious here rather a study of historical writings. Let it take you wherever it leads. (They are expensive to buy) Get the right one for you.

.traveller.

Thank you! I was wondering which version to get and I do want to start with the Old Testament. That is part of the reason I have held off buying one. :)
Hi ya Willowfox!

memries

Most people who seriously study have a few Bibles to compare the passages in any one instance. Not to discourage you but that is how it evolves.
The Way is a good one as well in very plain English and very modern.
However, unless they have brought out a version with footnotes it is hard to follow a trail to what you want to know.

Since Hebrew or whatever some were written in have about six meanings for each word that is where the different versions come in. Some have gone back to the the most original writings they have and retranslated.

Some things were added later and some left out ! That is why I say don't get sidetracked as well.. just plow through if you want to. I never regretted my effort it was most revealing and worthwhile. Now when I read something quoted and referring to something I can say, sure Buddy, I don't think so.
Or much to my surprise find out they are right ! I guess on my part it is a bit of a game as well. I like words and the written words.

The Course In Miracles book, so very famous, was all done by channeling which for myself leaves me a bit cold. It took a while to research that out.

memries

On the first page the Author says, He gave them everything they needed in the desert.

How come he did not give them a map and they wandered for 40 years ?
The land mass of that desert was just not that big !!!!!
So right away we have the spiritual aspect of their wanderings infringe upon common sense. Wikipedia says it is 60,000km.

This may be nit picking and I am off the point of post will read other older dream.

memries

I just read your older dream. I am very sorry I did not answer you for I would have. I was either away or never found the post again. I do keep them on watched posts but sometimes when it gets full it doesn't work.

You mention a parallel to Valley of the Dead. I missed the connection unless I misunderstood one of your posts.

Your older dream and this dream do have some things in common. The walk for sure. I also suppose you could say choice for you did chose to follow him.

I think the word superfluous was well used and never thought to use that word. That is what the wig was really and the curls.

I have posted in the older dream as well. I see what you mean now about the Valley of the Dead.

Tarotphelia

.traveller. said:
What does it mean to dream of an Angel? This is the first time I have dreamt of one and it seems important, but I'm not sure what to make of it.

I walked into a huge, empty warehouse. I was dressed all in black and had a long black scarf tied around my forehead (I never wear black in RL, looks awful on me). The clothes seemed foreign in style, maybe Asian but I'm not sure. In the middle of the warehouse, a man was sitting in a chair in profile to me. He was dressed in loose fitting clothing that was quite travel worn. The colors were white and gray, although the gray may have been white at some point. He was clean shaven, his head was shaved as well. His features had that hard look you see on men who have come back from war. Two hair dressers were fussing over him, trying to put a wig on him and curling the hair. He suddenly lost patience and abruptly stood up. That's when I saw the wings. He launched himself into the air and flew out an upper story window. I realised that I had to follow him, so I did using a series of acrobatic moves that would have landed me in the hospital if I tried them in real life. I caught up to him outside where he was standing, looking down at the ground. He looked at me and I had the sense that he had been waiting for me. He started to walk and I followed. We were in the middle of a desert with nothing to be seen for miles.

I was prematurely awakened by a cretin so I don't know if there would have been more to the dream.

Black is seen as a protective power color in some traditions , so I would take that as a good sign. It seems a bit foreign to you now , but it may be something you will learn about later .

The war aspect of the angel could be meaningful- one who is experienced and a veteran of spiritual battles , an old soul. This in itself is a form of power too.

The wig reference might be a recognition and thank you for donating your hair - but since he dismisses that I think it says that you can do much more than that , on a spiritual level .

He's flying upwards and out a window , and you are struggling to follow - you're ready to move up spiritually and perhaps even experience some other planes . The desert is often seen as a place of spiritual development through tests and deprivations like fasting and vision quests , so some of that might be a next step for you . Maybe not literal fasting , but more a voluntary renunciation of some worldly things and attachments . It might be that you are being encouraged to to reach higher now , and find your true nature . Strip away all that is not you and not in tune with your true higher spiritual self .

Flying can also refer to astral travel , so if you haven't experienced that yet it might be on the way .

Angels predate the Bible by a long way and are found in many cultures . The new agey , pinkified versions are almost like a diminishing of their essence , but I guess it makes people happy .

.traveller.

Dark Inquisitor said:
Black is seen as a protective power color in some traditions , so I would take that as a good sign. It seems a bit foreign to you now , but it may be something you will learn about later .
I've always been a little uncomfortable with black, maybe because I was never allowed to wear it when I was younger. I don't know if it was superstition or what, but I sensed fear from my mother when the subject would come up.

Dark Inquisitor said:
The war aspect of the angel could be meaningful- one who is experienced and a veteran of spiritual battles , an old soul. This in itself is a form of power too.
I thought so too. There was a reason that that kind of angel appeared.

Dark Inquisitor said:
The wig reference might be a recognition and thank you for donating your hair - but since he dismisses that I think it says that you can do much more than that , on a spiritual level .
It doesn't require much sacrifice on my part, other than allowing my hair to grow long enough to be donated, so it isn't a big deal for me. I guess if I were very narcissistically attached to it, then it would carry more significance. So, the question becomes "What am I supposed to do?"

Dark Inquisitor said:
It might be that you are being encouraged to to reach higher now , and find your true nature . Strip away all that is not you and not in tune with your true higher spiritual self.
It does seem to be the message but it is difficult to know where to start.

Dark Inquisitor said:
Angels predate the Bible by a long way and are found in many cultures . The new agey , pinkified versions are almost like a diminishing of their essence , but I guess it makes people happy .

I can see myself eventually researching all the various manifestations of angels throughout the millennia, I can be very tenacious that way once something catches my attention. I've been thinking about reading the bible for a while now, but was put off by all of the different versions. It just seemed daunting to sift through all of those versions, but memries' suggestion of a teacher's edition seems a great place to start.