Best Books for Beginners

Geenius at Wrok

Re: Re: Re: beginner books

Phoenix said:
I also have not used TFYS, and have no desire to, either.
Fourthed!

I kinda like 78DW, but in my mind Joan Bunning's site is far and away the best resource.

oriel

Right now the books helping me the most are "Tarot and the Tree of Life" by Isabel Kliegman (covers the minor arcana) and the book that came with my deck (Legend: The Arthurian Tarot).

I read through some of Janina Renee's "Tarot for a New Generation" at the bookstore yesterday, and I found the introductory section pretty helpful. I like her general card meanings also. There are small sections under the general meanings that apply each card to various situations, and that's where it gets a bit much for me.

"Power Tarot" is fun for spreads! As a newbie I stick to the daily 1 and 3-card draws but once in a while it's nice to do something different. As far as books that are specifically for beginners I haven't found one that's best for my learning style. I'm taking a class online, and that's going very well.

Mariel

Moongold

I picked up a book at the library called "The Complete Book of Tarot" which started me on the way. The author's first name was Jane and she has written quite a few books on Tarot. I had to give it back to the library through!

"The Complete illustrated Guide of Tarot" by Rachel Pollack is excellent for beginners (like me). It is beautifully written and illustrated and has broad coverage of everything - really good for a beginner.

I also have "The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals" by Greer. This does have some very good material on upright cards as well. I was dismayed a little by reversals in the first weeks and this has helped me understand them better and how they fit into the whole scheme of things.

"78 Degrees of Wisdom" was the first book I actually purchased but I have found it more useful just recently now that I have a little knowledge.

Lastly, "Jung and the Tarot - an archetypal journey" by Sally Nicholls is really interesting as background reading. It gives in-depth commentries on the Major Arcana which are really worth reading. This book is probably more useful once you have started the journey and are familiar with the cards though I have a friend who uses it for dream work alone.

Moongold

divinerguy

Two ways to get you up and reading confidently.

First is a laminated cheat sheet. I got mine for a few bucks from an occult bookstore. http://www.dynamoh.com.au is the manufacturer. Quick tips to major card correspondences and reversals.

Second is the Pocket Guide to the Tarot. Slightly longer card meanings and illustrations. A good value for only 7 US dollars.

Divinerguy

jmd

A wonderful little book which I have recently been told is back in print is A. Douglas's Tarot (the 1970s edition was printed by Penguin, and presume it has been reprinted by the same).

Alex

I would suggest

The Tarot Directory by Annie Lionnet.

It's being sold at Barnes and Nobles for some $8.00 and for every card it pictures at least 3 different decks, giving the meanings for each card in a consise yet_ I think_ accurate way.

The approach is more "psychological" and I liked it because the card meanings are very akin with the ones given by my Mythic Tarot deck book.

It does not, however, touch upon the subject of reversed cards. I mean, it would be incomplete if one reads reversed cards.

Cheers

starfish66

Re: I would suggest

Alex said:
The Tarot Directory by Annie Lionnet.

It's being sold at Barnes and Nobles for some $8.00 and for every card it pictures at least 3 different decks, giving the meanings for each card in a consise yet_ I think_ accurate way.

Alex, this is definitely a case of synchronicity! I just purchased that book at Barnes and Noble today and was going to add it to this thread. It's wonderful and I love the way it is spiral bound (within a hard cover) and has tabbed sections. Definitely the best $8 I've spent on a book lately.

:T7W Starfish

Ravenswing

amnesia??

hey guys--

has everyone forgotten thirteen's postings? these are nice and brief-- to the point.

there's a book called 'the tarot decoder' which is rather good. if my memory serves me rightly, it goes as far as interpreting each card in each position of the celtic cross.

if the particular deck you're working with comes with a book (not just the lwb), i'd get that.

there-- three sources. enough to start with.

ravenswing

emily2otters

Re: amnesia??

stevepolsz said:
there's a book called 'the tarot decoder' which is rather good. if my memory serves me rightly, it goes as far as interpreting each card in each position of the celtic cross.

oh! that's cool! i really enjoy janina renee's "everyday guide" for that very reason... it interprets every card from an advice position in a spread. i was thinking it would be useful to have interpretations for if the cards fall in positions like yourself, outside influences, hopes and fears, etc. which can sometimes be a puzzle. sounds like that's my book!

Phoenix

Hey all

I am beginning to compile a list of books for people who are beginning to delve into the tarot, and need your help on compiling the list. I know that there is Tarot for your self, and books by Janina Renee, but what others would you reccomend?

Thanks!

PS if you can, could you please state the publisher and ISBN number for the books?? Thanks!