Toothpick Reading

Umbrae

Divination…the word means to communicate with the divine. It has little to do with fortune telling.

Many folks know how I am annoyed by folks who attempt to learn tarot by learning what others say about tarot; buying books, and locking their minds into the mindset and worldview of an author – and thereby limiting their growth.

Stunted – right out of the gate.

Umbrae said, “Don’t pick up that book, it’ll stunt your growth”. Much later books are great for research; but early on…

To learn divination, really learn – now that is the trick.

Folks have heard me say, “Learn to read between the cards”. And, “Listen to that which speaks without a voice”.

Often I have alluded to reading with toothpicks, and never elaborated. Most think I am wrapped a little tight. Hey – pull up a chair, let’s chat, I’ve just put a fresh log on the fire.

Here are the mechanics and the philosophy of reading toothpicks.

Take about – that many toothpicks. What kind? Round, or square. If they have the little cellophane deelies on them that’s fine. Oh – they have olives stuck on them? Eat the olives, easy on the Vermouth. I use anywhere from 10-30, and never count how many. I just use…that many.

Hold them in your hand. Feel the wood (important step)…I mean feel the wood. FEEL THE WOOD! Nothing should be in your mind except the feel of the wood.

Toss, drop, release, chuck – them onto a flat surface – covered or not.

Look at them and do not think. There is no meaning. They are neither Runes nor I Ching (they are toothpicks).

Look at them and - what is the first thing that comes into your head? One word? A picture? Give it voice!

Do it again. Give it voice!

After a few times you will see clumps of toothpicks…each clump telling you something different. You must give it voice. After a while you will develop a skill akin to a three card layout, with no deck.

For you septics, er I mean skeptics out there…this is about developing a skill set. In order for this to work, you must turn off your left-brain – there are no meanings to work with. No right or wrong; you either listen to your intuitive self or look like an idiot with toothpicks!

This is all about listening. It is a skill.

Later, you can begin to do readings with your lovely tarot deck, and do your reading with half of the cards face down. It’s about listening – not using someone else’s meanings.

N-Joy

Talisman

Applause!

More applause . . .

Talisman

DarkElectric

I like this one. A lot.
Whatever you do, if you are trying this, please, don't overcomplicate it with any form of intellectual gobbledy gook. It's easier, and harder then it looks. The hard part is quieting the over analytical aspect of our nature. The easy part comes when you are finally able to shut that bio-computer down, and see it in a more primal way. And when you get it, you'll also be able to access information from just about any source at all.

ladycj

Oooooooo this is so hard for me. I have to work to shut the old analysis computer off, and just feel.

Kiama

I have long been waiting for an explanation of what using hte intuition for reading really is. So far I have used the 'Say What You Bloomin' Well See For Chrissake!' example for Tarot, but that doesn't seem to get things across.

Thankyou Umbrae, a million times over.

*Kiama stands up and claps claps claps withTalisman*

Kiama

PS- The cool hing is about using your intuition, you can get guidance from ANYTHING... I'v done chocolate, leaves, shadows, eyes, and basically anything I come across if I have no Tarot deck... I shall be trying toothpicks tonight...

lili

Very good explanation Umbrae, it is impossible to develop intuition by just reading a book which it is what most people try to do.

WillieHewes

wow, that's cool! I need to try this! I've been told I'm analytical far too often lately...

Willie - analytical nightmare

zorya

today i read the toothpicks;

there have been other days where i tossed them down, analyzed the pictures, letters and shapes they formed.

"hmmm.... that looks like a house, must mean my home... and there is a tree, that must be about my roots, and maybe joining the upper and lower worlds. yes, yes, i see gebo. so if they are far away from me...that must mean......"

today i read the toothpicks for the first time.

first i had to quiet the rumblings in my mind. "what if i just see the things i've last been thinking or reading about? oh gawd, please don't let them look like bin laden's face".... and, "what if i see nothing of value? what if i have to struggle!?! would that mean i am a fraud!?!?!?"

today i grabbed some toothpicks. i felt them. i released them and released my mind.

today they sang.

violinlily

Umbrae: I totally agree, and clapclapclap w/ the others.

I'll have to try the toothpicks later in the morning (i dunno wha time it is when ur readin this, but it's like midnight right now.......).... I've tried things like that be4, and my mind wont - shut - up....... I'm normally not a talkative person.....lol but anyway, that is a really good way to just listen to your mind, and to just listen to your intuition. Job Well Done Umbrae!!
good morning,
(yawn)
violinlily
:TPC
ps: zorya, that was a great post!

Sea Sprite

:) :) :) :) :)
Hi Umbrae,

I just love reading your post. It was both refreshingly entertaining and educational. :)