Can anyone identify what this medallion is?

Chronata

There are many companies that reproduce old talismans...and this one appears to be one of them.

My thought was that it was one of the many called "Solomon's Seal"

and then I happened to look through the index of Jo Logan's book on Amulet's andTalisman's (my favorite talismantic reference guide!)

and found these two pics...

the front side, looks like a Talisman dedicated to Mercury, while the back, looks to be a Talisman for "Honor and Riches"

It is likely that a jewelry maker put the two designs together without really knowing the meaning...

but as far as I can figure it might be a talisman for promoting recognition, and gaining wealth in a Mercurial field...

Medicine, Therapy, travel, communication, education, media, publishing, technology and industry all fall under that heading!

Pretty cool little pendant!

Attachments

• talisman front.jpg
    talisman front.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 85
  • talisman.jpg
    talisman.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 83

Chronata

Here's a bigger pic of the front...I don't know if it's what Scion saw on yours...but I bet it's something close!

Attachments

• talisman 3.jpg
    talisman 3.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 81

StellarMyst

I think Chronata's onto something here!

Dang good job Chronata!

~StellarMyst

Chronata

~Hee~

Thanks StellarMyst!

I am just a Talisman Junkie :D...I have been studying and making talisman's for two decades now!

I knew that useless info stored in my brain would come in handy someday!

StellarMyst

Here's a thought:

In Catholicism (I know, I know: NOT the case here...but give me a sec..plz & ty ;) :D ), the use and wearing of Catholic medals and medallions is very much encouraged. Catholics use them (as well as drawings, window decals of them from graphic/design shops etc.) as a type of (constant while in use) mental prayer (Not to be confused with the similar meditation, since this does not require direct thought after originally designating the medal for a particular use.).

If such is done in the fields & circles requiring such as these symbols/sigils...etc., it may very well have been custom made for a particular person.

How old is it? Do either of you know?

Blessings,

StellarMyst

Scion

Chronata, that is ABSOLUTELY the one. although they seem to have conflated two different talismans. :) And that latin quote is definitely the one being used on AJ's pendant. My more ominous quotes were only identifiable using the last est seculum, and you're text matches exactly.

Makes me think it came out of the 6th and 7th Books of Moses or the Black PUllet. That's why the alpha and omega are so literal. Interesting.

Great spot, C!

StellarMyst

Chronata said:
~Hee~

Thanks StellarMyst!

I am just a Talisman Junkie :D...I have been studying and making talisman's for two decades now!

I knew that useless info stored in my brain would come in handy someday!

You're very welcome! :D How does one make talismans? Can it be started/done with clay?

That sounds like a pretty cool thing to do for people! I make prayer beads of whatever kind the client wants (it's been kinda dead these days *sighs*) - custom-made as a general rule of thumb.

But the point of my mentioning this about my beading hobby is this: Items designated for use during meditation or prayer (as we all know) are usually specific-hand-picked to benefit that person, or are custom-made. In having a thing of prayer-use custom made, and especially if it's hand-made, it is treated with the reverence appropriate for the praying individual to hold tward diety. I think the medallion is a custom piece.

Love and Light,

StellarMyst

Chronata

To answer your first question, StellarMyst, I always wondered as well if the ancient Talismans and amulets weren't made for a specific person originally...and the design of them were simply recycled for the masses.

I think you are also correct with the Catholic Medallion connection... they seem to work in the same ways as the amulets, or even fetishes of old...a material component for prayer, or sympathetic spellwork.
A touchstone that connects one with the divine spirits, angels, ancestors, guides or what have you.

But again, the design for a catholic medal, or a solomon seal have been passed down for ages, and I wonder too, if some of the "magic" has been watered down.
I... like you, enjoy making talisman's custom for specific people...or at least specific purposes.
I think they work well because of the immediate connection between the person and the materials, and the intent.

I currently make my talisman's from polymer clay, which sort of brings the 21st century kicking and screaming into the process! I like it because it's durable..( if not entirely natural) and I can mold it into any form, and bake herbs, gemstones, and anything else inside!

Here's a pic of one of the last ones I did...a wolf totem talisman for loyalty, family connections and ritually dedicated to the Moon.

Attachments

• wolf totem.jpg
    wolf totem.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 82

StellarMyst

Chronata said:
To answer your first question, StellarMyst, I always wondered as well if the ancient Talismans and amulets weren't made for a specific person originally...and the design of them were simply recycled for the masses.

I think you are also correct with the Catholic Medallion connection... they seem to work in the same ways as the amulets, or even fetishes of old...a material component for prayer, or sympathetic spellwork.
A touchstone that connects one with the divine spirits, angels, ancestors, guides or what have you.

But again, the design for a catholic medal, or a solomon seal have been passed down for ages, and I wonder too, if some of the "magic" has been watered down.
I... like you, enjoy making talisman's custom for specific people...or at least specific purposes.
I think they work well because of the immediate connection between the person and the materials, and the intent.

I currently make my talisman's from polymer clay, which sort of brings the 21st century kicking and screaming into the process! I like it because it's durable..( if not entirely natural) and I can mold it into any form, and bake herbs, gemstones, and anything else inside!

Here's a pic of one of the last ones I did...a wolf totem talisman for loyalty, family connections and ritually dedicated to the Moon.

Wow! I think you are very creative.

I think your talismans, and my using true stones in my prayer bead work etc., is a way of blessing the client. Let me explain:

A client comes to me and requests a piece. Either they pick the stones, or leave me to pick for them. In the event of the latter, I use my Kolidascope of crystals books by Melody to pick the stones. Usually the client wants to at least be acquainted with me a little before trusting me with the assembly of a sacred object they will use from then on (or gift it out to a loved one for the same purpose). In their *feeling me out* to see if I'm right for the job, Information is shared between us, and I get to know/learn a little about them too. In light of this, I am able (based upon what they - or mutual friends of ours - have told me thus far) to design a personal piece for them that they will connect to the Divine with.

This is my reason for feeling very strongly that this is a custom piece with a few years of use attatched.

Have you ever done expressive writing (inspired by deity, spirit or simply a stirring of emotion you might or might not be able to explain...) in preparation for a custom order? It seems to help the work go much smoother...I think this is the case with this medallion.

Love and Light,

StellarMyst

AJ

You guys are the best!! I'll send all this info to my friend and see if she can type up the words on the front side. Thanks so much for taking the time to help, I really appreciate it.