The deck you want to hand down...

HearthCricket

Have you ever seen the movie, The Red Violin? If so, you know what I am referring to. The older woman who reads the tarot cards and her beloved deck. Old, worn, grimy, used for who knows how many years or decades, how many readings she has done with it, for how many people. Do you ever wonder what will happen to your decks?

What deck would you like to hand down from you to another, be it a family member or a stranger? To be worn and read from and passed on and still exist 100+ years from now? To be discovered in an old wooden box, wrapped up in silk, perhaps with a poem, dedication or letter to the receiver, written in your hand, long, long ago?

I have mine narrowed down to four. Still working on it:

Victorian Romantic Gold-I can just see this aging beautifully! It expresses my personality, so well, and what a discovery it would be! Belongs in a beautiful locked box...key on a golden antique chain, hidden in Great, Great, Great Aunt HearthCricket's jewelry box....

Golden Tarot-Another lovely deck, but not sure about the heavy cardboard. Still...what a nice antique look to it.

Tarot of Dreams-So breathtaking, almost prefer to hand down the satin finish one as that will be even more rare!

Medieval Enchantment-Another favourite one for me to use and love the artwork and size of the cards. I became so hooked on this, last spring, and worked with it for quite a while. It is beloved. This could be the one...

What about you? Will one of your beloved decks become a legend of you?

tarot4fun

Saw The Red Violin a couple of years ago~

To someone special, I would hand down my Golden Tarot because of its beauty, readability and sturdiness~ :love:

My other loves are quirky like me; and, only time will tell if they hold up over the years. :)

Suz :heart:

karen0205

My friend told me about that movie. I didn't think there was another person on earth who saw it! Kind of gross and kind of creepy, at least it seemed that way to me from the story.

My favorite decks that I would like to pass down are the BBKitties and my Magical Forest Deck. I love those two! very different but both very accurate for me.

Anam Cara

I think "Red Violin" is wonderful movie, one of my faves!
A terrific story, perfectly filmed...

As to which deck(s) to hand down, I already handed down my collection at one point, to friends who really had/have no interest in tarot.
I kept just one deck; an early 70's RWS deck given to me by a dear friend (it had been her mom-in-law's).

Great question, Hearth Cricket! Even knowing that my children have no interest in divinatory tools (though perhaps that will change as they age and gain more life-experience) and none of my friends have become interested, I've never given a thought as to what I'll do with my current collection (that is much bigger than the first...)

I know, of course, that I must hand down the vintage RWS deck to "the right" person...thankfully (hopefully!) I have many years to determine who this will be!

I agree the Victorian Romantic gold will make a perfect deck to hand down. Her dark sister will likely be another good candidate, although a tricky one! Again, will have to go to just the "right person"...someone that will be agreeable to accepting a possibly "haunted" deck!:!:
:heart:cara

Open Arms

My LeNormand that I have had for 20 years would be one set..I can see them wrapped in a blue silk scarf and hidden in a box, maybe an old journal or diary with it....

And my Tarot of Dreams would be found in a black velvet pouch, hand stitched symbols on the outside, crystals scattered on the edges found in my box of crystals...

Of course as my collection grows...who knows what else I might come across and decide to hand down!

Skydancer

This question is a good one. Not what are our favorite decks - or which ones would we grab if there were a fire - - - but, what do we honor enough to want to have go to a specific person upon our demise. It has truly made me think. (I have thought along these lines before, as no one in the family seems to give a hoot about my decks/books in general. It's "Oh. Mom's stuff."

The VR gold would be one. Because.
And the ones that are now out of print. I have several.

My wonderful Ator and II would have to be kept by someone. They are just too ... too!!!

And now -- now I have the decks and various books for Thoth/Liber T/Haindl/Rohrig. The I-Ching, info on Hebrew, the appropriate Runes etc. That's a special bundle all by itself, and shouldn't be split up.

I'm pretty sure the BGT silver will need to go to a good home.

After that -- I don't know. Probably an estate sale!!

But the above and a couple of zen-type oracles are special. In all seriousness, it's advisable to put your list in with your will. Handwritten, it's good enough to be honored. If you have an honorable family. (Son #1 is an attorney.) If you want to pass down a specific deck to a specific person, write it down. But - it's no guarantee that they won't go and sell it. So - it has to be a person for whom the deck will have meaning. Either because of the deck, or because it was from you.

*S*

AJ

we don't have any kids, and in truth I don't care what happens to my cards when I'm gone or any of the other 'stuff'. Things will go where they are supposed to.

celticnoodle

What an interesting question Hearthcricket! Yes, I will definately hand my cards down to my heirs. Nieces and nephews and of course my daughter, who will receive the majority of these cards and other tools. I'll have to go through my cards and think of whom they'll go to, but right now off the top of my head-
1. My Golden Tarot will go to my daughter.
2. My Legend will go to my daughter.
3. Arthurian Legend to my nephew B.
4. The Gilded to my neice, C.
5. The Angel Cards can go to my friend, D.
6. the Rider Waite Decks, all three to nephew, B.
7. Faery Wicca to daughter
8. Mdm. Endora to neice, M.
9. Fairy Oracle to daughter
10. Mlle Lenormand & any others to daughter

of course this list will change, but right now, only to these 4 people, as I know they are the most likely not to throw them away.

Now, I will have to decide who will get the rest of my treasures (divination tools) too.

Lulu

Positively my Victorian Romantic. This is for me, the ultimate deck. Now, if I could chose one more, I would probably chose my Druidcraft. I think both of these decks are so well done.

Lulu

magpie9

I'd want my greenwood to be handed down, wrapped in fragile old silk, mysterious and fascinating...perhaps in an old trunk with lavender and lace. And my Osho Zen, layered in silk and velvet, in a sandalwood box.
And my old Uioke as I found it, wrapped in a scarf in a basket the back corner of an Antique shop...found treasure, indeed.