3 swords

BLFO

Not a love triangle, but could 3 swords mean a person is a mediator. Or someone is using person A in order to get to person B?

The crowned one

My first thought was "no" As for me threes about ends or beginnings. The quarrel or problem could involve a third person causing you sorrow I guess, but for me personally the three of swords is about cutting to the heart of the matter and understanding your sorrow. It is a release of pain on a personal level often..no third wheel. That said, if you see it that way..then sure why not?

willowfox

It is a card of severance so I cannot see a mediator here.

balenciaga

I can see the introduction of a C in order to HURT A or B, not a mediator. The 3 sw is that pain of betrayal or envy, etc.

elvenstar

I guess it depends on the imagery/system. With RWS it's probably not the first thing that comes to mind, but... check out this card from the Arcus Arcanum for example.

wytchwood

I agree that it does depend on the deck/ system. Most decks following a 'standard' system would have sorrow, heartbreak and separation as the basis for any interpretation, but it would obviously be sensitive to the surrounding cards and the context.

coyoteblack

BLFO said:
Not a love triangle, but could 3 swords mean a person is a mediator. Or someone is using person A in order to get to person B?

It is a card where the Mind pierces the illusion created by the Heart. It can be a mediator if you are trying to find the truth of something but it is not a happy truth and it can hurt like hell.

balenciaga

coyoteblack said:
it is not a happy truth and it can hurt like hell.

I agree with this statement. The 3 SW is PAINFUL. Trust is lost.

ofbainbridge

Blfo,
3s: Progression, advancement, development
Swords: The mind, logic, discerment

3 of Swords upright can indicate - learning, the gaining of some information in some situation or circumstance

3 of Swords reversed: learning something that inhibits further progression in some area...

The crowned one

I do not think the three of swords necessarily leads to painful truths, rather it just cuts to the heart of the matter, some hurt.. some do not.