Question about The Authentic Tarot- book by T Saunders

satine

I recently got The Authentic Tarot- Discovering Your Inner Self, by Thomas Saunders. It's a good book, and I greatly like the perspective and philosophy of the author; however, he is SO heavy-handed about his preference of the Ancien Tarot de Marseille. He makes it seem as if any other tarot deck is practically worthless, because the VIII and XI cards are switched among other changes of which he does not approve. He defends his position at length, to the point that I started feeling really bad about using my RW deck! Have any of you guys read this book? Even if not, what do you think about this viewpoint or argument?

Thanks!!

gregory

I have it on the way precisely for that reason. There are not enough books which deal with the TdM, and MANY which deal with the RW and the Thoth. I think the ad I saw for this book even specifically said it was about the TdM....

I for one am sick of books which DON'T give even a passing mention to the TdM as I WANT to read about it, and I have so far failed to find anything much. Everyone has their preferences, and writing a book about one deck is fair enough, IMHO. I am very much looking forward to it. The TdM is a very different system, and you will find many on this forum who do absolutely believe that the 11 vs 8 argument is critical, for instance.

But I don't think anyone should give up using a deck that works for them - or a system - as a result of anything they read..... I feel sure I shall remain a BBC fan, myself :D

Abrac

satine said:
He makes it seem as if any other tarot deck is practically worthless, because the VIII and XI cards are switched among other changes of which he does not approve.
I have it satine. I don't recall what you're talking about specifically; I probably just skipped over it which is what I do a lot. I take what I can use and leave the rest.

I wouldn't say it's a great book, but a pretty good one, and considering what there is available on the TdM, it's a step in the right direction.

gregory

Now I have it. It is good on the TdM (not outstanding but answers many of my questions.) And it does SAY that that is what it is all about. And the comments about RWS are not all that anti it; it does say that some RWS decks go way off beam - and that is true, unfortunately.

I like it. And I don't read with the TdM, and I do read with some pretty strange decks at times, mostly RWS based - and this book hasn't put me off at all.... :D

Flavio

Bump

Recently got the Noblet TdM and been reading the Marseilles related threads, this book has been mentioned and I was wondering if more people has read it and have additional comments to what has already been shared by gregory and Abrac.

Thank you very much.