Professional Tarot Readers - Good vs. Bad

PentQueen

I apologise if there is already a thread on this topic...I went through the forum and also used the search and couldn't find anything.

I've been going to see a professional reader for about a year now. I have had 4 readings to get me through a very tough tower year, and it has absolutely aroused my interest in the tool of Tarot. I'm quite sure my reader has psychic abililty, based on the way she speaks and her claims to "seeing" people around me. My mother was once scheduled to have a reading following mine, and at one point during my reading, my reader told me that my mom was outside waiting to come into the house, and was able to tell me exactly what my mother was thinking about while she was waiting--she was spot on about my mom's concerns.

Anyway, I love my reader; she has become a counseller in many ways, and always makes me feel at ease, despite some troubling times. However, she has never really explained the process or her ability to me, and I wonder if there is a proper protocal to professional reading and how to spot a good/bad reader. I do know that she is quite religious and superstitious, and my mother's reading was actually a bit worrying at times, with my reader pointing out bad spirits and people cursing one another and such. I respect her beliefs and don't let it bother me too much, and her fee is a fair and flat rate, so there's really nothing to complain about, but I often wonder if there are certain things to be aware of when dealing with professionals. I would also like to get a 2nd opinion and try another reader sometime.

I'd love to hear feedback from those who are in the know! Thanks in advance.

Pagan X

I have to say, the focus on bad spirits and cursing worries me.

Professional readers who are scam artists will charge for removing curses they invented; it could also be a technique to keep a client coming back for readings.

I've been a Wiccan for thirty years, and I haven't actually run into any credible cases of one person actually effectively being cursed by another. What I have seen is people who obsess about being cursed, or about demons, evil spirits, etc. and just bring on problems for themselves and others because they like the drama and sense of self-importance that comes from being the focus of any attention, even self-invented.

If you see your reader more than once a month, I'd consider that too much; if you feel you can't make a life decision without consulting your reader, I'd consider that worrisome.

Many people read Tarot--or do any psychic work--without being able to describe what they do; they just do it. Since this is a language-based form of interaction here (bulletin board) you will find its populated by language-oriented folks who love being able to discuss every aspect of reading. In other words--it's different from the real world!

PentQueen

Hmm, very interesting fedback!

Thanks Pagan X, I agree with the worry there. Still, she hasn't ever asked for any money for extra services, and while I may not agree, I truly believe that she believes in curses and spirits! I mean, she was right about the people and situations being understandably scary, but it was strange to see her so afraid when reading for my mom.

I see her every 3 months, and to be honest I was feeling fearful and helpless for a while, until I went through a major boost in confidence recently, thanks to therapy and my own deck of cards and this forum are making me think I can figure out things on my own...

IndigoWonders

You CAN figure it out on your own. Trust your instincts. Give yourself some credit and follow your intuition. :)

satine

IndigoWonders said:
You CAN figure it out on your own. Trust your instincts. Give yourself some credit and follow your intuition. :)

I agree... In fact, I think that you could use your tarot cards (doing in-depth readings for yourself) to support and feed your traditional counseling sessions, if you continue with those. For instance, there may be some things you want to think about, reflect on, and explore before you even bring up the topic within your sessions. If not, you'll be amazed at what you'll accomplish with just you and a deck of tarot cards!! You really don't need anything or anyone else. :)

Sea Siren

Bad spirits, curses and such negativity is a red flag. Yes, sometimes a reader will have to tell you that something not altogether enjoyable is coming up, but they should emphasize the advice on how to get through it or how to avert it altogether.

As far as the process, I learned the card meanings from a book and went from there. The more I did readings, the more information I got on my own, just using the cards as a guide or a starting point. I believe everyone is psychic, and it is only a matter of tapping into to your higher self in order to get the answers. Meditation helped me open up to this a great deal in the beginning. Good luck!

Satori

Oh so many things come to mind. But primary is that you are absolutely within your rights to question everyone. You sound like you are outgrowing her. Since I assume you have begun to study yourself you are progressing naturally and you are looking at her, and thinking about how you yourself will conduct yourself some day as a pro reader. Bravo to you for questioning her.

Each of us has our own ideas about what makes a good reader, and I agree that if she has made you comfortable in the past that is nice. But something about her is not making you comfortable anymore and that is what you might want to look at. What is it that made you write the post?

In a way you should thank her for being there for you. She was accurate and caring and that in itself is a gift. The other stuff, well, she may be flirting with some new techniques, I don't know, but take the good and leave the bad.

There are many different professionals, and we all have our own style. Some of us talk about Guides, some of us never will. I personally don't talk about curses! I can't imagine saying anything like that, and I've never seen that someone was "cursed" in a reading. A jerk maybe }) but not cursed.

That isn't to say that sometimes some weird things don't come flying out of my mouth :D but hey we have our good days and our bad days, right?

afrosaxon

I don't get professional readings of any stripe (tarot, aura/energies, etc) very often...but when I do, I try not to rely on the same person each and every time.

I've found (through personal experience) that using one reader for the long-term tends to blur the lines between professional and friendly. Plus, I began to question whether or not the reading results were truly based on the reader's intuition (what they truly saw in the cards or whatever), or whether they were drawing upon their personal knowledge of my situation(s) (since we as clients tend to cast our readers in the position of lay therapists).

If you're not feeling right about getting readings from this reader any more, then don't. Rely on your OWN readings and intuition, or find someone else. But it may be best to just fall back on getting professional readings so much.

Just my $.02.

T.

Satori

Actually, I think that getting readings is necessary if you are on the road to being a pro reader. Now, not everyone wants to get out there and read for strangers. And that is a hot topic here on AT and isn't the focus here. But if you are a reader the day may come when reading for yourself just doesn't feel the same, or the information isn't seeming clear. This is what happened for me, and while I know a few excellent professional readers who do read for themselves, I for one do not. I check in on certain things, look to see which way the wind may be blowing on certain areas of my life, but for an in-depth look at things I always ask one of my trusted reader friends.

So while I understand where afrosaxon is coming from, I don't agree that you can always just grab a deck and be on your way to clear insights for yourself. I've read professionally for several years now and I like to go to a pro reader every so often to check-in and tune-up.

Now here is the ooga-booga part. What you will find as you read more and study more is that you develop other skills that put you in touch with the same Source that you are contacting when you read for strangers. You mature and grow and suddenly you just...know...things. Psychic ability develops, and it can be so subtle as to be a whisper in the depths of your soul, and you become so acquainted with it that you don't even recognize that it has happened/is happening. I think too you become attuned to the voice of the divine. Whatever you want to call it.

So your actual need for readings will decrease. Does this make sense???

PentQueen

Hey thanks everyone,

Satori, I totally get what you mean. I don't feel at all as though I'm nearly "there" yet, but have definitely tapped into a new level of awareness since starting my own readings, so I can understand what you're getting at. And I can totally understand why readers would want to go to another for important readings. We're rarely objective about ourselves.

And I think you are right that I have to listen to what my gut is saying about some of the negatives associated with my reader, and just focus on the positives of what she has given me. I can see how easy it is to fall into the trap of need constant consultation if enough fear is induced, and though she has given me tremendous strength that was sorrowly lacking the first time I saw her, it had morphed into depandancy for a while.

afrosaxon, I have felt that multiple readings have resulted in less objective responses, so I appreciate what you are saying too. I think I will probably try another reader at one point. Plus, sometimes I feel as though my reader is projecting what she would like for me; almost like a protective mom. I appreciate it tremendously, but sometimes feel that the answers aren't spot on with how I truly feel.

I'm in a good place now, thanks to therapy, and Satine, my therapist has asked a couple times about my cards--I think she's developing an interest too--lol!

I'm not sure if I want to be a pro reader, but I've always wanted to be a counseller of sorts, and Tarot is such a wonderfully creative tool in order to do that.