Books vs. No books

Scion

:) :heart:

Ahhh, but which came first the scratch or the itch? The need to itch or the need to scratch?

6 Haunted Days

Umbrae said:
On the other hand, if you learn by reading all them there books first, without the spark of curiosity…it’s not the same (TO ME).

I like to itch first, then scratch.

At least for me, curiosity is what leads me to read books on a broad area of subjects. Without that spark of interest and insatiable curiosity I wouldn't grab a book. Subjects that do not at the time spark that, don't get my attention. The vast majority of books I read are non-fiction, and very few tarot related. Just not enough good ones out there that aren't beginner's rehash.

Wouldn't that be the way it works with everyone?

Or I suppose you're meaning just tarot-related books? Like reading dozens of books on tarot and then start honing your actual reading skills. IMO that would be a very bad way to go about learning this art, so I agree.

Eco74

Itch -> Scratch.
Yup, there it is...

Though, sometimes I find myself responding to invisible itches or ones that I catch too early to notice before I find myself scratching. And other times, I pick up a book and a phrase starts off the itching as I read.

It's all divine intervention really...
Read to scratch the itch.
Read to set the itching off.
It all comes from reading, noticing and listening to me. And the old phrase - Notice everything, it's trying to tell you something.

Grizabella

I think where reading is concerned, reading about Qaballah, astrology, symbolism in general or tarot symbolism in particular would be good subjects. Art. There are tons of things one could read about that would be an enrichment for tarot use.

Eco74

Poetry, books on psychology, self-awareness books, religious themes, fairytales...

I could go on.

Since tarot does touch on so many subjects, it's a good thing to not limit oneself to only tarot-related books, even though there are many of them available.
Earlier on, there were very few, and the books that were available were filled with references to mysticism, magic, ancient religions, faiths and symbols.

gregory

I never NEED to itch. Does anyone ? (in this context or in real life ? :cool4:)

But when it happens to me I ever so have to scratch..... ;)

Scion

And see I'm totally Scratch --> Itch. Even though I realize it's an insoluble chicken egg proposition. I'm not a reactive person... it's the searching and doing like any respectable Knight of Wands :D; my bent is for Scratch then Itch. For me the possibilities create the desire.

I don't think you can ever work up a proper itch until you know that scratching is possible. }) I think the capacity for scratching comes before the knowledge that you are itchy. In the same way that suddenly the moment asylums were invented, madness multiplied exponentially... Build it and they will come.

gregory

You haven't had chicken pox, I take it ? ;) Or was that what started you scratching ???

6 Haunted Days

Scion said:
And see I'm totally Scratch --> Itch. Even though I realize it's an insoluble chicken egg proposition. I'm not a reactive person... it's the searching and doing like any respectable Knight of Wands :D; my bent is for Scratch then Itch. For me the possibilities create the desire.

I don't think you can ever work up a proper itch until you know that scratching is possible. }) I think the capacity for scratching comes before the knowledge that you are itchy. In the same way that suddenly the moment asylums were invented, madness multiplied exponentially... Build it and they will come.

Ok, ok. Nevermind what I was trying to say on my itching or scratching. I just love to read and research, all the time, about most everything....it's more than a passion. It's an obsession and has always been the fire under my ass. Oh and in my soul too.

SunChariot

Eco74 said:
Poetry, books on psychology, self-awareness books, religious themes, fairytales...

I could go on.

Since tarot does touch on so many subjects, it's a good thing to not limit oneself to only tarot-related books, even though there are many of them available.
Earlier on, there were very few, and the books that were available were filled with references to mysticism, magic, ancient religions, faiths and symbols.

I can see how reading poetry would be great for improving Tarot skills. One of my favourite sayings is that "Tarot is visual poetry". Wish I could remember back to where I heard that, but I have always loved that saying. It is so true. Reading poetry helps us see symbolism and that can only help Tarot skills.

Babs