Possible to die in a dream?

aeonx

Greetings.
I've just had a discussion with my best friend about dreams. We've both heard some place that it's not possible to die in a dream. Like you know you're dead, in a way. If you know what I mean... Anyway, she has dreamt that she was killed, and died, in a dream. Any thoughts?

~aeonx~

Liliana

I always heard it wasnt possible too but i died in a dream as well. Maybe people who arent into studying occult things (such as dream interpretatIon) are startled into waking before death, but those of us more open understand whats going on and can die in a dream with no problem

:THP

zorya

i've died in my dreams too. now there's a real symbol of transformation, lol.

Keslynn

It's definitely possible. In one dream that I had, I was a 20-something woman who drowned. I could feel it happening - so weird!!! Then when she/I had died, I became a boy who was watching her funeral.

And there is an old wive's tale that someone will become pregnant if you dream about someone else's death.

:) Kes

Fuzzmello

I think people mean it's usually not possible to experience death through dreaming when they say you can't dream that you die.

We might even 'watch' ourself die or see that we've died, as the other posts have said, but I don't think we can really have the experience of dying like we do other things in dreams.

zorya

can't say i agree with you fuzzmello ;) i've left my body a few times while being strangled or beaten. looked down on everything.....incredible feelings of peace. the dreams i've experienced of dying were much the same as an obe.

Keslynn

Fuzzmello said:

We might even 'watch' ourself die or see that we've died, as the other posts have said, but I don't think we can really have the experience of dying like we do other things in dreams.

I agree with zorya in disagreeing with you. ;) When I had the dream I described, I definitely experienced dream death. I wasn't watching it from outside. It was only after I had experienced the woman dying that I became a character observing her (well, her funeral).

allibee

What's more important I think, the message of the dream if you will, is what happens after you 'die' in your dream.
Whilst dreams send us symbols to help us deal with our lives and resolve deep seated issues, it is also a tool that spirit use to teach us. They only give us what we can handle, so if you're not the sort of person who could deal with maybe seeing something clairvoyantly, hearing something clairaudiently, or knowing something clairsentiently, then this would be a way that you could be given, if you see what I mean.

allibee

kabuki

I used to have dreams as a child that I consider to have involved a part of me dying, or leaving my body, in some sort of way. These all occured around the ages of 8 to 10 (ish). Obviously I am looking back in time so interpretations are influenced by adult ideas and notions as well as memory lapses. From what I remember I would be dreaming of a normal event, such as school, and for some reason would leave my body. I then just existed as thoughts - I could see my body and everything around it but could not communicate with anybody or control my body. In these dreams I remember much confusion as to what had happened and in one dream I remember questioning whether or not I had died and what I was going to do. Sometimes I was frustrated and lonely at not being able to talk to anyone and would 'search' the school, streets outside for people I knew - but on other occassions I just felt quite free (although scared at the same time). I can rmember thinking i didn't belong there anymore but didn't know wher to go. Around the time of these dreams I experienced the death of a close relative - my parents were honest about the death and I was actually present with the person when they died - so I've often wondered if through my dreams I was trying to understand about what had happened to my close relative and what i would do if it happened to me ? I have never as a teenager or adult experienced any dreams which contain these feelings or patterns.

Fuzzmello

Keslynn said:
I wasn't watching it from outside. It was only after I had experienced the woman dying that I became a character observing her (well, her funeral).

Yeah, that's what I was driving at and I guess I see your point. I was thinking that we always have some occurance where it turns out we're someone else observing after the dying. That leads me to think something else is happening in the dream besides death.

Which would make sense from your angle, too. Heh, heh. Ah, never mind. I'm probably just being stubborn again about conceding my point. Happens all the time.:)

Fuzz