Tarot-related things to see in Paris?

Rusty Neon

I'm going to be in Paris for about two weeks in the spring. I was wondering if there are any interesting museum exhibits, buildings and other sites in Paris that are tarot-related. As well, what stores are there in Paris that are particularly interesting in terms of tarot merchandise or ambience?

I already have Bibliothèque nationale in Paris on my checklist. I'm also looking forward to the national medieval museum in Paris (Cluny), for my medieval kick, though there doesn't really seem to be anything tarot-related.

Thanks in advance!

- Rusty

All Is One

Nothing useful to offer you except that if you have a computer you can surely find some good ones. I look forward to hearing about your trip, and I think "rusty neon" has a real ring to it.

Have a blast in the "city of lights" my father and his third wife and second batch of adorable kids went two summers ago and most enjoyed eating pastries on the benches and watching the lights wink on every evening with a view of the Eiffel Tower.

Have a wonderful trip....

Rusty Neon

Thanks, All is One. I have been googling and will google some more looking for tarot related things to see while in Paris. But I was hoping for some first-hand knowledge and accounts as well.

I've already been to Paris (quite a few years ago), but that was before my interest in things medieval and things tarot.

All Is One

I'll keep posting until someone who lives or knows all about Paris answers. Did you see the thread killer thread????

Let's keep this one alive until you get some useful advice and be sure and report back (with photos)

Don't forget.

shellz

ohh my sister is going to Paris this year. If anyone replies with a good place, i'm definately asking her to go there and get me something

All Is One

get me something too. why not????

spoonbender

Rusty Neon! I thought you had disappeared!

Have you heard of the Musée Français de la Carte à Jouer (the French Museum of the Playing Card)? It's located in Issy-les-Moulineaux, which according to Wikipedia is only 6.6 km (4.1 miles) from the center of Paris. I've never been there myself, but it's bound to be interesting, right? And you can buy Tarot, Jeu et Magie if you haven't got it already (and if you read/speak French). Here's the site.

You could also visit the Stravinsky Fountain in Paris, which was made by Jean Tinguely and Niki de Saint Phalle (who is also the person behind the Tarot Garden in Italy and, naturally, the Niki de Saint Phalle Tarot, a Majors-only tarot deck based on the sculptures of the Tarot Garden).

Have fun and let us know how it went!

Spoon

MareSaturni

There's a shop, a new age shop, FULL OF DECKS (at least compared to the shops here in Brazil)! I was dumb so i just bought two, but i should have spent more money there! It's amazing, i can give you the address if you wish:

Gilbert Jeune (Livrarie/Papeterie)
Place Saint-Michel
&Strasbourg-Saint-Denis

I'm sorry, the bag i got there doesn't shop the number exactly :/.

Anyway, it's a big shop, you'll see it's name in some places as you walk in the Saint-Michel - mostly a bookstore, but then one of it's door take you to the 'new age' part of the shop. It's close to La Seine (erm..the river, i don't know how you call it in English). I definitely recommend going there :D

Ah, Paris...i miss Paris so much! Now i'm going to Italy, hope i can find a nice shop such as this one *_*

Good hunt!

~Marina

Ross G Caldwell

Hi Rusty Neon!

Marina has already mentioned the Gibert bunch of bookstores - they will be all around you when you get off at the St. Michel stop, just on the other side of river from the Ile de la Cité (Notre Dame). If you are walking from Notre Dame, cross the bridge on the left hand side, and cross the main street. Turn left on that street and go about 50m (I think). The Gibert metaphysical bookstore has a small window and small door, but you won't miss it if you read the signs on the way up.

If you get off at the St. Michel stop, turn back towards the river and go up the main street, before it crosses onto the island. Turn right, and go down about 50m.

The tarot decks are in a big glass case next to counter, there should be about a hundred of them in there. There are also some (last time I was there) stacked on the same case, but kind of behind the counter. You just have to stick your neck in and study the boxes, and ask to look if you find something you want to see. It is a very crammed store, but is very well worth spending an hour or two in. I'm sure you'll find something you like. I found an Il Meneghello Tarot de Besançon, and a few others I can't remember now. They have used as well as new books.

The other good tarot bookstore I have found is called "Librairie de l'Inconnu". This is in the Montparnasse area. They have scores, if not hundreds, and it is a very beautiful bookstore as well. It is on rue du Cherche-Midi, no. 84. There are multiple metro stops you could choose, but none are particularly close. Fortunately, it's open every day but Sunday, from 10 to 7 (no lunch closure).

Issy - Spoonbender mentioned the French Museum of Playing Cards - you *have* to go there to see the permanent exhibition. Take line 12 and get off at the Mairie d'Issy stop (it's all on the directions on the site - go to the first diamond lower on the page (Infos pratiques), and you'll see their hours, fees etc.).

When you get off at the stop, going up to street level you will find yourself in a large plaza, with cafés and shops. Go up to the busy main street, and go right (opposite direction to Paris). You will have to walk a few hundred metres along that street, crossing a few other small streets, to get to Auguste Gervais. There will be a big sign on one of the buildings, high up, as you go, so you shouldn't get lost (it has the Museum Logo on it, with the broken squares/playing card symbol). When you get to Auguste Gervais, the north corner will have a café - cross there. Go up the hill a hundred metres or so - the Museum will be obvious. The main entrance is sliding glass doors, and it opens to a long glass-lined chamber with displays, with a round desk at the end. That desk is also the shop, with the items for sale displayed under the glass. They have a large selection of cards and game items, as well as tarot cards (around at the back of the desk if they haven't changed it). The permanent exhibit is downstairs, and temporary exhibits are upstairs. Both are from a door to the left of the counter.

It is an essential part of any Tarot Tour of Paris, so don't miss it.

The Bibliothèque nationale might be tricky. I haven't seen any of the collection personally, and I understand it is not on display. You will have to make an appointment, or plead once you get there (or make an appointment for later). The site is the site Richelieu, downtown, not the Mitterrand site (that's the big one with the four giant buildings at each corner).

For the Richelieu site, the best stop is La Bourse (multiple lines). Go south on rue Vivienne. Don't go into the main entrance on r. Vivienne (unless you want to go look), but go to the bottom of the street and turn left. Go around into the other entrance, which is where the Cabinet des Estampes is located. Be sure to check your hours, and days. I think the Cabinet des Estampes is pretty odd in that respect.

I have heard that Mlle. Lenormand's grave is in Père Lachaise, but I haven't managed to find it on two trips... still worth looking for anyway, while you're strolling around the cemetery.

I'm sure there are other treasures in Paris that I haven't found (or remembered), but if I remember them I'll post them.

Have a wonderful trip!

Ross

gregory

YES - the museum in Issy. It's brilliant. :D So is the Stravinsky fountain. And I have several real rarities I got from the Librairie de l'Inconnu.

The Cluny is lovely, Tarot or not (not !!!) Another thought - get hold of Philip Thomas' photographic deck - you could try "spot the location" !

And once you get to Gibert Jeune at St Michel - there is also Variantes, up the rue St Andre des Arts a bit - it has a few decks and is very good on finding others for you.

Père Lachaise is worth visiting anyway, if only for Heloise and Abelard - I never looked for Mlle Lenormand, but I believe she is in division 3..... don't quote me.... I googled her.....