What makes a reading "accurate" to you?

berrieh

That is my thought too - as are my thoughts about this discussion on accuracy. Everything you say about the differences in cultures I endorse, Magenta. I am myself from a Latin (francophone) culture, and only marginally anglo-saxon - factual predictions and accuracy are important to us, as well as advice that is detailed (based on the cards). We find practical knowledge and spiritual wisdom more empowering than counselling or psycho-babble.

Well, I'm as white and American as they come, and I agree... Not sure if it's purely cultural.

But to me, practical knowledge and is the backbone of accuracy. Spiritual wisdom? Eh... remove the spiritual and you've got me there, too.

I've begun saying "I read in the shallows." I'm not interested in my Sitter's spirit. I'm a card reader, not a Priest or a mentor. I like to read on real life, earthly things. I don't personally feel the cards work for spirituality.

I don't want to try to determine someone's Karma or Life Path. That, to me, seems a great act of ego and also not applicable to everyone's beliefs. I don't feel qualified to assess any of that. (I'm not sure anyone is. Personally, I believe spirituality should be a self exercise only, though I understand others don't feel that way and many religions reflect that.)

I don't think we can assess spirituality with any sort of accuracy, so if a reading has that component, I agree it's completely immeasurable.

firemaiden

Fudugazi said:
That is my thought too - as are my thoughts about this discussion on accuracy. Everything you say about the differences in cultures I endorse, Magenta. I am myself from a Latin (francophone) culture, and only marginally anglo-saxon - factual predictions and accuracy are important to us, as well as advice that is detailed (based on the cards). We find practical knowledge and spiritual wisdom more empowering than counselling or psycho-babble.

Not sure what you are saying here, Fudu. Who exactly is this "we" you mention? Are you saying that all French and all Spanish and all Italian people are factual and detail oriented? (Allow me to introduce you to my cinematographer friend, Pierre, who traffics in dreams, my Spanish friend Hector... or... will just one example do? Or should I do a random sample of 10% of the population ... Should I exclude all Virgos? I hear that all Virgos are supposed to be factual and detail oriented too, this could really skew the poll...).

Are you saying that readings which are not aiming for accuracy in exact detail amount to psycho-babble?

Alta

Moderator note:

This thread is trying to cover a not well defined topic, however even at that it needs to stay within bounds. Several posts have gone rather far afield and some may be removed, beyond those few that have been already.

I would ask that posters stay within the bounds of the original question which was: What makes an accurate reading?

Personal (derogatory especially) comments directed at other posters are not to be put out for public view. It derails the discussion and creates clouds of ill will.

Latterly we seem to waded into murky waters by bringing in the possibilities around cultural biases and I think it is fair to say that none of us can really speak globally on that. It is off-topic at any rate.

Marion

lark

I think one of the things that lets me know if I'm accurate is when a client sits down at my table and says, "Alice sent me."
People will often come back to you for another reading even if you aren't that accurate for many reasons..you make them comfortable, they like your reading style, you're close to where they live, they're related to you..ect. ect.
But people very seldom recomend to their friends.."Hey go to this reader she has a nice smile...."
No, they send other people to you because you were accurate...

Whatever accurate means these days?

The crowned one

lark said:
I think one of the things that lets me know if I'm accurate is when a client sits down at my table and says, "Alice sent me."
People will often come back to you for another reading even if you aren't that accurate for many reasons..you make them comfortable, they like your reading style, you're close to where they live, they're related to you..etc. ect.
But people very seldom recommend to their friends.."Hey go to this reader she has a nice smile...."
No, they send other people to you because you were accurate...

Whatever accurate means these days?

I got a "a-ha! " out of your post at first... then the gears turned and I began to challenge it (never mind why as this post is about "accurate to you" not my opinion of it ).... So I took a step back and said, this is what makes a reading "accurate for you" It is a wonderful insight...and the main aspect of accuracy for you...and I am taping it on to my mental "accurate list" as it is relevant and I will be including it.

Great stuff coming up here when we take it for what it is, another's beliefs, and what is stronger then a belief? Therefore it is easier to offend when we say "Wrong"...because for them it is "Right" and by default it is right for them...... Crap for about one second there I reminded my self of philosophy 201 lol. Sorry!

Great insights.

lark

The crowned one said:
I got a "a-ha! " out of your post at first... then the gears turned and I began to challenge it (never mind why as this post is about "accurate to you" not my opinion of it ).... So I took a step back and said, this is what makes a reading "accurate for you" It is a wonderful insight...and the main aspect of accuracy for you...and I am taping it on to my mental "accurate list" as it is relevant and I will be including it.

Great stuff coming up here when we take it for what it is, another's beliefs, and what is stronger then a belief? Therefore it is easier to offend when we say "Wrong"...because for them it is "Right" and by default it is right for them...... Crap for about one second there I reminded my self of philosophy 201 lol. Sorry!

Great insights.
LOL As I read your post I saw a strapping good looking guy with and ax in one hand and a post-it-note on his forehead with my post printed on it... :D
Yes, there probably is a lot to challenge in the way my accurate gage works...I have to tap it sometimes to keep it going..thanks for the nice response...:)

Sophie

a little explanation on "spirituality" in a reading

berrieh said:
I don't want to try to determine someone's Karma or Life Path. That, to me, seems a great act of ego and also not applicable to everyone's beliefs. I don't feel qualified to assess any of that. (I'm not sure anyone is. Personally, I believe spirituality should be a self exercise only, though I understand others don't feel that way and many religions reflect that.)
Good heavens, neither do I! :eek: That's not what I mean by spiritual wisdom - nor would it be what most Latin/Francophone people meant by it (though of course, some might - we are not all clones of each other). By spiritual wisdom I mean what the greatest tarot readers achieve - which we might all aspire to - and that is to touch and lift the querent's spirit, as well as including their spiritual life in any reading, if that spiritual life is important to them and they indicate they want it included.

"Spirituality" has a very narrow definition in some circles, but is in fact a quality that touches all of life. Baking a cake mindfully and with love is a spiritual act. But as for determining karma and life paths, not sure anyone can do that. I believe the divine leaves us free will, though will frequently nudge us for our own good. My soul has its calling, and nobody else can impose another on it, though many might try ;)

However, a gifted reader can pick up a life path and a soul purpose in the cards, and pass it on to the querent (by "life path", I mean a general thrust or direction in life). I find it helpful and clarifying, to be given such knowledge It happened to me as a querent (although in that case, it was an astrologer I saw, 9 years ago), and by no means did it take away my freedom of choice. It's been interesting to see it unfold, more or less as she said, including the timings. The funniest is that at the time of the reading, when she told me I'd be spending the next 10 years living out of suitcases then would settle down, I was adamant I was only leaving for 2! She predicted my present spiritual path - long before I ever felt attracted to it (even though I had already started with Tarot a couple of years before). What it has done to me is that as I saw all this unfold - naturally, without force - I have begun to have a larger spiritual sense of my life and feel - and commune with - the spiritual forces that affect and guide me. With such knowledge and sense, I am more powerful to act on my life, rather than be acted upon. I don't have to follow the guidance, and let my life unfold as I do. I could resist, as some people I know do, much to their own unhappiness. But I choose to, because - as she so accurately predicted -it makes sense to me and makes me fulfilled. That's why accuracy matters. A good reader doesn't determine your life path: but helps you determine yours.

I aspire to be such a reader - it is a great gift to one's querents to be able to help them in that holistic way.

Sophie

firemaiden said:
Not sure what you are saying here, Fudu. Who exactly is this "we" you mention? Are you saying that all French and all Spanish and all Italian people are factual and detail oriented? (Allow me to introduce you to my cinematographer friend, Pierre, who traffics in dreams, my Spanish friend Hector... or... will just one example do? Or should I do a random sample of 10% of the population ... Should I exclude all Virgos? I hear that all Virgos are supposed to be factual and detail oriented too, this could really skew the poll...).

Are you saying that readings which are not aiming for accuracy in exact detail amount to psycho-babble?
I'm talking about most people who consult card readers in Latin cultures, who on the whole want accurate factual information and predictions, rather than counselling and psychological profiling. I wasn't talking about film-making. The questions I invariably get are: "will I meet a boyfriend? Will I change jobs? I want to travel more - how can I achieve that?" - and the expectation is that I answer the questions with facts - as detailed as I can. But these are very emotional people too, so I also need to work with extra compassion and love (I have to keep the kleenex nearby, including with the men). The further South I go, the more there is an expectation that I deal with the spiritual side of life. If someone like your Pierre consulted a good card reader at the beginning of his career, he was probably told that he'd be attracted to making dream-based films. But Paris isn't really the South or Latin in any sense - it's much more Northern European in feel and orientation (actually, I'm wrong: Paris is in a world of its own, and Parisians are more different from the other French than - say - Londoners from the other English). Perhaps my experience of Paris is different from yours, though: I know many Brazilians and South Americans there, and they definitely want their cards read the Latin way!

That's not to say psychology has no place in such a reading: simply, a reading is not a psychological or counselling session. It's a divination, which is both a spiritual and practical activity.

Reading cards for predictions and understanding of one's life is only one activity we can do with tarot, among many (though it's the one the general public consult card readers for). Reading for myself or close friends, I might use them for brain storming, storytelling, free association, etc. And every now and then I will have a querent who wants help in making up his/her mind about something, or compare several possible options and life choices, so we can explore them together, using the cards as a kick-off point. That kind of reading also needs to be accurate: it's important that what is said about option A, B or C be true!

Forgive me if I go on about Latin-style reading (in which I include the Southern Francophone cultures, like my own). But as this thread unfolded, I started to have the distinct feeling that I was divided by a common language from what many people - mainly from North America (though similar attitudes also exists in Northern Europe) - were saying. It was making me uncomfortable but I couldn't put my finger on it, and when Magenta pointed out that there are cultural differences in how divination is viewed and approached, it made sense to me.

The Latins are not the only one who use divination differently from the North Americans or North Europeans. Though I started to learn Tarot in England, most of my life since I started reading has been spent in Africa, the Middle East, and French-speaking Geneva (my home town) - and now in the South of Spain. With the exception of Geneva, where tarot readers are respected, but not central to life, all of these cultures use divination as a matter of course, in their daily lives, and for them it's both a practical and spiritual tool (but not spiritual in the New Age sense, since "New Age" doesn't exist in those countries!). Accuracy is measured by the truthful facts you can give about past, present and future, and the way in which you can help people, through such predictions, live what is objectively a very difficult life. There is a degree of fatalism in these cultures too, which simply doesn't exist in North America. I'm not saying it's a good thing - simply, that it exists and as a reader, that's what you have to deal with. Muslims believe things are written by God, pre-determined. They want you to help them find out what's written, what God has in mind for them so they can organise themselves, and face their fate calmly (or with excitement, if that fate pleases them!)

You see how different it is from cultures that believe that every second of every day, you shape your own life?

With that in mind, some of the most scarily accurate readers I know are North American. And as Lark pointed out - people recommend her for her accuracy, not because she's friendly (she is both :love:). So there you go - even in countries where people believe they hold all the power to shape their own future, they want accurate predictions!

The Dreamer

I have wondered for a while whether this might be a key difference underpinning some people's views on accuracy: the question of whether there is anything that individuals cannot control or influence (and if so, what those things are, and are not). Because if individuals could control and influence everything/anything, then accuracy would be irrelevant- as everything, "internal" and "external" would be as fluid and changeable as could possibly be.

To me the idea that individuals can change anything they want, and that our power is unlimited in that way- seems patently false. I think there seem to be limits on all sorts of things, including aspects of our physical and mental makeup and even on the the universe itself.
If that were not true, then all sorts of things that never seem to happen would be happening. People would be changing their circumstances at will, there would be no predictability of any kind at all, etc.

The supposed predictability of some processes might be less like absolute constraints like laws and closer to something like "habits of nature" something along the lines of what Rupert Sheldrake has proposed when speaking of the "morphogenetic field"... but still, individuals do not seem to control those more basic trends/habits, and we are part of larger processes and influences that have been set in motion and that sometimes don't seem to yield much to our input.

This is why I have a big problem with the sort of thinking that goes "if you believe something, anything, that makes it so"... if a train is coming toward you and you believe you don't need to get out of the way to stay physically intact, you're going to have a rude awakening. And that applies to many kinds of less dramatic situations as well, including seemingly nonphysical ones including the emotional.

We may well have more power than we realize, and I think it is well worth looking out for those situations that could be changed instead of automatically accepting any kind of situation as a given... but the time comes when action is required, and we have to decide based on limited circumstances rather than some theoretical boundless limitlessness. Accuracy about what those constraints are matters in that case.

So with the whole control issue- there's the question of how much a reader controls what they get from the reading, and how much they think they control, and why they think that.. and then the huge question of how much any individual reader or seeker thinks that people as groups and individuals have control over things in general, and specifically, whatever is being read about. Those things will matter to the question of judging the accuracy of any reading, to the individuals involved.

About the earlier "how can a reading that isn't accurate be valuable" question- that, aside from whether the sitter/seeker values accuracy at all (which, even if they don't, it might be in their better interest to, but that's for them to pay attention to or not), is also going to depend upon whether things that aren't true can be valuable- and it looks to me that people in all sorts of areas do think that.. and also, in cases when accuracy is judged valuable, whether provisionally believing a falsehood can lead to actions or understandings that could lead to other things which actually are truths. And I do think that something false can sometimes lead people to something else that is true, either by taking actions that lead them to new truths or by examining that falseness and by that process coming to a truth that they never had grasped before. I don't like to compromise the truth of one area for another, however. It's hard to know which, if any truths may be "overarching" ones, rather than localized ones (localized to an individual, or realm, or even timeline)...

berrieh

To me the idea that individuals can change anything they want, and that our power is unlimited in that way- seems patently false. I think there seem to be limits on all sorts of things, including aspects of our physical and mental makeup and even on the the universe itself.

I concur. And I even do like to read on the difference (things the Sitter can change, things that others can change, and things that aren't being controlled by any person in particular -- more 'situational truths') sometimes.

I think 90% of the time the issue isn't fate or some greater 'law.' Usually, what we don't control, someone else does---or a group of people or we control part of it but not enough to shift the entire thing, etc.