What makes a reading "accurate" to you?

firemaiden

Hello Dreamer, what makes a reading accurate or "truthful" to you?

The Dreamer

I believe I went into that on the linked thread.

memries

This may be an offside comment although I think it applies. I went to a lecture by a gentleman from Findlay College in England. He was lecturing on Psychometry and he made the point that it is very important to validate the history of something you are trying to identify. At first I did not agree but in retrospect I think he was 100% correct.

So when it is mentioned about validating the past with a querant in a reading it does make for a good reading as it gives you the clue that you are on track.
Not always an easy step but worthwhile in a reading.

This was mentioned by Berrieh in the original post.

The Dreamer

firemaiden said:
Wow, what great responses on this thread. I like Enrique's response, it reminds me, when the goal is transformation, how can "accuracy" fit anywhere into the equation?
It would fit in trying to be aware of or describe the old form which was being moved away from, and the new form being moved toward. Either of which can sometimes help in understanding the present form.

Of course, one could try to set upon a course of transformation with very little awareness of such.

And it isn't as though just because something isn't described or symbolized, that it doesn't exist.

tmgrl2

Personally, I have trouble with the word "accurate" applied in this context.

Reading the tarot, even a single reading, is a fluid process....engagement between two people, with awarenesses arising, questions asked....and, in the end, or after the reading, who knows what happens as a result of the exchange??

Maybe there are many "accuracies" or areas or paths down which the reading travels, but who knows which one resonates mostly with the sitter....who then either does something with the information...or does nothing with it.

If the sitter does act or react as a result of his/her perception, and the outcome is a change or transformation that is postivupe for the sitter, does that make the reading "accurate?"

Suppose the sitter thinks that all of it is a lot of "poppycock?"

Doesn't mean the information couldn't or could have proved useful.

At any given time, we are facing alternate futures, multiple ones, based on choices we make in the present with the information we are given and with our perceptions of the information.

Just rambling. Rather than discuss whether or not a reading is "accurate," I would wonder if it affected some kind of change in the querent's life....did it give them hope?

Did it empower the sitter?

Did the sitter FEEL empowered, armed with information that could be reflected upon and then used to move forward, to make decisions?

I'm with firemaiden. When the lava lamp arrives, maybe I'll know.

terri

firemaiden

P.S. The "lava lamp" comes from the story of an extremely scary accurate reading a friend of mine once received... there were predictions of lost luggage, and messed up plane tickets, and other nightmares, and that she would receive an odd gift ... "maybe a lava lamp."

As we sat there beside an odd piece of luminous decor, she said, "...and it all came true, including the lava lamp!"

tmgrl2

firemaiden said:
P.S. The "lava lamp" comes from the story of an extremely scary accurate reading a friend of mine once received... there were predictions of lost luggage, and messed up plane tickets, and other nightmares, and that she would receive an odd gift ... "maybe a lava lamp."

As we sat there beside an odd piece of luminous decor, she said, "...and it all came true, including the lava lamp!"

So "accuracy" seems to apply when are talking about divinatory/predictive aspects of Tarot.....very weird, eh? It's like the suddeness with which I said inside my head when my nephew came to visit ...(He's going to have a heart attack very soon)...he did ...a week later. He hadn't been to our house in over twenty years.

Also, when I called the foot doctor, and one of the assistants answered the phone, I heard this in my mind..."Oh, you're pregnant again!"

Instead of blurting that out, I asked her how she was and if she had any "news" to share.

Funny you should ask, she says...I'm pregnant. She is single, lives at home and is raising her first child through an extended family, so her last chats with me many months, years ago, actually, were that she was going to finish her credits for teaching.

Anyhow, point taken. Accuracy applies, then, when there are statements that can be shown later as "facts," or when someone tells you something about yourself that you may already know, but that no one else could possibly have known?

When the last professional reader did my reading some years ago, he said over and over, I really should be meditating on a regular basis...well, that's more of an advice /suggestion ...although, now that I do practice mindful meditation, I feel I can say he was "accurate" or "right on" but then, don't most people benefit from the practice of meditation or mindfulness? This I see as more of a suggestion.

terri

terri

firemaiden

I guess the question is timing. If she hadn't gotten the lava lamp for 50 more years... then what?

And then... to what degree is it the querant's interpretation of the prediction that makes it accurate? Perhaps if the reader said -- you will have travel issues... and there was no mixed up luggage that trip, but the next trip or so she did... well? Then what?

People often say Nostradamus correctly predicted all kinds of modern things, and the bible did too, but then when we look at the actual predictions, whoah, it's surely up to interpretation. It is not for nothing the sibyl spoke in riddles :)

berrieh

Wow, I'm excited by all the thoughts... this is really stretching and growing my brain here. :)

Fudugazie said:
Choices made are only part of the picture. If the prediction is: "your son is going to move to Asia for his work and meet a girl there", or "your company is going to close", that's not your choice to make, and you can't prevent or bring it about, either - though you might participate in it. YOUR choice is how you act in these circumstances.

I agree. And I normally try to gauge to what degree (and how) the Sitter's choices can change the path. Sometimes, if we are talking about, say a job hunt or building their sales careers, it is very much in their hands. Other times, such as the times you mention, it is exactly out of their hands. It all depends, doesn't it?

For instance, I council a lot of salespeople, as I used to be one, and I used Tarot fairly well to make my goals, etc. I find opportunities---and often vividly enough so that I know it's not a fluke---but I don't find sales; I have to council them in the 'completion' aspect, and I can only tell them how to turn the opportunity into a sale. Free will is much involved here, so much so that it's more the initial reading---on their past and who they are at a core level---that both validates and helps the most. It validates for them that I can truly read the cards and connect to them (if we do connect), and it helps the most because that's where the advice comes from, from who they are.

But I struggle with predicting for them, in this regard; all I can do is tell them how it works, and if they accept it, see if it helps them. It generally does help them, as this is one of my best talents as a Tarot reader… yet I cannot truly call it fortune telling. I consider it more a strange form of sales counseling.

EnriqueEnriquez said:
I don’t hope for my message to be right. My hope is that my message will elicit in my client the right resolutions.

Very interesting thought. I think, taken to it's most pure place (which it sounds like you do), this is lovely; in my hands, I'd worry with the thought. It sounds like a delicate balance to maintain this with empowerment, as what is the ‘right’ resolution?

In the wrong hands (and, again, not speaking of you, as I didn’t get this notion from your post), I think it could lead to 'choosing' what's best for someone, rather than answering their actual questions. So, this -- while lovely -- could be an excuse for the wrong kind of Reader, I think.

firemaiden said:
People often say Nostradamus correctly predicted all kinds of modern things, and the bible did too, but then when we look at the actual predictions, whoah, it's surely up to interpretation. It is not for nothing the sibyl spoke in riddles

This is where many readings lose me, to be honest. I think it’s important to note when you’re being vague. Sometimes, what I get is vague. I get a feeling, an energy, and I cannot form an event; so be it, if that is what I get. Those readings, perhaps, can neither be proved, nor disproved, but only felt.

However, I get events often enough to judge accuracy, I think. As far as the ’10 years’ thing, personally, I cannot read beyond a few months. Though the longer I read, the longer out I begin to be able to go. So far as I can tell.

autumnsdaughter

I guess I feel like predictions are secondary in the reading experience- because what could happen is far less useful to the querant than what is in the process of happening. For me, the very purpose of reading is to understand my patterns of thinking which keep me from experiencing life to the fullest degree. Therefore, though predictions can be impressive when accurate, I am not in the game to be impressive. I'm in it to be useful.

I've also wondered how much of my readings are "from the cards" and how much are just good sense, empathy, understanding of the human condition. In other words, not directly given to me from the cards. But I have found, it doesn't matter, as long as it is useful for the transforming of patterns of thinking for the improvement of the quality of life.