Dream about a cut throat

Alta

Hi all, Sorry, I seem to have forgotten most of the details, but last night I dreamed that I had my throat cut. It was very vivid, I could actually feel the blood gushing out. Is there a standard or any meaning for this?

Let's see: it was a man that did it; I knew it was coming and didn't fight; it was a straight razor (or similar blade); I cannot recall why and think it wasn't clear in the dream either. When I woke up (as often happens after vivid dreams, different people) there was a woman (black?) looking at me with a half smile.

Marion

Alta

from my dream book

1.that the neck is the join between the body (feelings, instincts) and the mind (thinking function) so a cut throat could be a severing of that link: but what could that mean in life?

2. self-expression and vulnerability are shown by the throat, so I suppose that it being cut could be destruction or attack on those areas.

Any other reactions, especially intuitive?

moderndayruth

Marion said:
I knew it was coming and didn't fight; it was a straight razor (or similar blade);

Marion, i also think the dream is carrying rather deep simbolic message; what is important - you knew it was coming and you didn't fight, could it be that the meaning is very positive - that maybe lately you are relying more on your intuition/gut feeling than on the rational thinking and pre-learned thought patterns?
Could it in a way reflect the meanings of Death in Tarot, in sense of transformation and new beggining?
Mind that the "tool" is straight razor - so hypotetically it's something making the least pain possible... Not sure on this one, i think it's very important how did you actually feel when you woke up.

Milfoil

Wow, what a dream. How did you feel when you woke up?

Cutting the throat may suggest an issue with lack of honesty or the cutting out of a part of you which deals with truth.

Has there been a situation recently where you have knowingly remained silent?

memries

I have found that having dreams of that nature can suggest some type of illness coming on. In that area or related. I know that is not intuitive just literal but I have had similar a few times and that is what it was.

Or you are on some medication that does not suit you ?

BrightEye

Marion said:
1.that the neck is the join between the body (feelings, instincts) and the mind (thinking function) so a cut throat could be a severing of that link: but what could that mean in life?

2. self-expression and vulnerability are shown by the throat, so I suppose that it being cut could be destruction or attack on those areas.
I think this is exactly what it might be. I've had many such dreams, going right bck to my earliest dream memories. I think Milfoil is on the right track. It could also be about being silenced by someone else, not being allowed to express your emotions or intellectializing/ rationilizing your feelings.

I'm intrigued by the apparition of the woman. Was she there by your bed side? And she was African or just dressed in black?

lark

Maybe cutting something out of your life....(expressed by how you voluntarily let your throat be cut.)..with no intention of returning to that "something' again...(expressed by how blood once released in that way can never be returned.)
The woman by the bed maybe an actual representation of the person or persons who caused you to make the decision to leave.

But the dream has you in a vulnerable position...because now that that "something" is out of your life you must fill it up with "something new" or feel empty.
The dream might stem from a fear that you won't be able to do that in a way that makes you feel fulfilled.

DoctorArcanus

Marion said:

Any other reactions, especially intuitive?

The razor makes me think of something that kills silently.
Feelings are cut out from thought when they are not expressed. And with your throat cut you cannot speak. So I think there is something you feel that you must say in order to be fully aware of it.
You are hurting yourself by being passive (not speaking your feelings): this is how I see your lack of resistance to the aggression.

Marco

afrosaxon

Marion said:
Hi all, Sorry, I seem to have forgotten most of the details, but last night I dreamed that I had my throat cut. It was very vivid, I could actually feel the blood gushing out. Is there a standard or any meaning for this?

Let's see: it was a man that did it; I knew it was coming and didn't fight; it was a straight razor (or similar blade); I cannot recall why and think it wasn't clear in the dream either. When I woke up (as often happens after vivid dreams, different people) there was a woman (black?) looking at me with a half smile.

Marion

Is someone trying to shut you up? As others have stated, the throat is the center of verbal communication...a man cutting your throat speaks to me of trying to keep you from saying something...and perhaps you know intuitively that he's trying to do so (although consciously he could come off as being supportive or doing just the opposite). You didn't fight him...did you think you couldn't win? Why you allowed your throat to be cut in your dream is perhaps just as important as why your throat was cut.

As for the woman...you're doing from male to female, light (I'm assuming the male was Caucasian) to dark (if the woman was black as in, of African descent). Dark female = Moon qualities? Deception, not seeing the whole picture. But also...fertility, feminine power (perhaps which you are not expressing or utilizing properly?). I also think of the yin/yang symbol: the black part is yin, which is the feminine, passive, dark aspect of duality.

Hmm...are you considered to have a lot of masculine energy? Perhaps the masculine side is trying to suppress the feminine side? Are you currently having a dilemma where you are used to finding a solution via "masculine" means (logic, facts, direct action) when perhaps "feminine" means (intuition, emotive, indirect action) may be more beneficial?

Maybe I need to go back to sleep. LOL

T.

ana luisa

Please, I mean no offense but I thought about possibly a tradition in Judaism and Islamism to bleed animals (by cutting their throat) as religious rituals or before they can be "accepted" and/or "kosher". It may be equivalent to a purification and it is the quickest possible as far as killing is concerned.
What made me wonder was the fact that you willingly let him do it, so it is something you're looking for and letting in in your life.