how many cards for a daily reading

NUTTYCHICK

i recenly puchased simply tarot love the pics but dont like the messages .
i have been doing a daily reading of nine cards from this book it has helped me to unsterstand cards a little better as you look at cards in groups of three and see how the meanings interact most poeple i knw that doma daily reading only use one card,how many cards do you use for a daily reading yesterday i had 7 cups in my reading.

gorgeousbutterfly

thats way too many cards for a daily card reading, talk about overwhelming! the least i'd do is 3 cards.

BodhiSeed

I do a five card daily reading in the shape of an "X". The center card represents where I am that day emotionally, physically, spiritually and mentally. The four cards on the corners represent what surrounds me (within and without) for the day.

Bodhran

afrosaxon

Well...

A daily draw/daily reading is usually done to determine the particular energies of a given day. These are usually 1-3 cards. There's no law about this, but that's just the way things have panned out.

Studying the cards, however, is a different story. Arranging the cards in groups so that you can better understand them is fine. But doing actual spreads for yourself revolving around specific questions -- on a daily basis -- is a bit much. By spreads, I mean shuffling and then dealing the cards in a prearranged pattern, where each card represents a certain aspect to the question in mind. Even free-form spreads (just dealing the cards in no prearranged pattern, but also in response to a question in mind) fall under this category.

Just my $.02. I hope I'm making sense.

T.

autumnsdaughter

I do no more than 5 cards a day for just a daily reading- otherwise it just gets confusing for me.

I usually don't do a layout, I just read them like a story for my daily reading. I start with 3, and if I don't understand I'll pull another card or two.

VGimlet

Almost always three.

Once in a great while (maybe on average once every 6 months) I will draw an extra card for clarification.

For me, 5 would often take too long - sometimes 3 is too many on those hectic mornings. :p

Sophie

3 cards - which allows for flexibility and depth, and isn't overwhelming.

What will I put out in the world today?
What will come to me today?
What advice for dealing with my day?

I don't do it every day, only when I feel the need.

easyboy82

1 card is good for advice or to get a general message for that day, but it's otherwise quite limiting.
3 cards is a good choice for everyday predictive readings.
If you know that you're going to do something special that day then you can get extra information using 5 cards.
In some occasions (a first date for example :D) I'd do a more complex spread such as the Celtic Cross following Janet Berres lesson on adjusting the Celtic Cross according to the frame time (1 day, 1 week, 1 month etc...).
So it all depends on what you want to know from the cards that day.

BodhiSeed

Fudugazi said:
3 cards - which allows for flexibility and depth, and isn't overwhelming.

What will I put out in the world today?
What will come to me today?
What advice for dealing with my day?

I don't do it every day, only when I feel the need.

Ah, this is a nice one Fudugazi. Thanks for posting it.

Bodhran

thorhammer

I'm always pushed for time in the mornings, and a daily card in the afternoon/night just seems pointless, to me. I don't *learn* anything from it. So if I do a daily draw, it's either one card, to give me a focus for my own behaviour for the day, or, if I'm feeling especially frisky, a mini-CC, where I use the top card from the deck to give me a focus, and the shadow card as the crossing card to give me an idea of something to watch out for.

Three might be a possibility for me, but only if I got up half an hour earlier :D. Nine? No way, Jose! I don't do nine-card spreads at anytime! Too much, too much . . . I get confused. I like one-carders, they challenge you to explore the card more and get more out of it. Plus it gives you a way to apply more things to the one card, if you're organised and review the reading at the end of the day.

I pull a Faery most days. They're spot on.

\m/ Kat