A question about the Greenwood ??

lark

I've only seen it in the little size too.

Has any one ever asked her (I suppose they have and it's in some thread somewhere) why they never had it reprinted?

oak_woman

Apparently it's because Chesca became a rampant born-again Christian and can't bear to be associated with the pagan feel of the deck. The knowledge that it will NEVER be reprinted is, I'm sure, part of the reason its OOP value is so high.

lark

oak_woman said:
Apparently it's because Chesca became a rampant born-again Christian and can't bear to be associated with the pagan feel of the deck. The knowledge that it will NEVER be reprinted is, I'm sure, part of the reason its OOP value is so high.
Wow! Well that's interesting and strangely it gives me hope...I was a rampant born again christian who turned to tarot. LOL })
So she may just turn back again...you never know.
But why the two have to be exclusive??.... I know many christians who do tarot quite happily and don't seem to need to chose between one or the other.
Thank you oak_woman...very interesting...and now I know.

SolSionnach

Well, "rampant born-again Xtianity" (which has many cult-like features) is not anything like Christianity, if you get my drift.

Hopefully she will come out of that funk, and reprint the damned thing! lol

I want another copy, and I certainly do NOT have $300 to pay for one. By now I'm seriously considering printing out the deck from taroteca, and laminating it. :eek:

ilweran

oak_woman said:

I heard this somewhere (probably here, come to think of it) and think it's incredibly sad because her art is so beautiful. If it is true I wonder why she left the website up though.

sravana said:
I want another copy, and I certainly do NOT have $300 to pay for one. By now I'm seriously considering printing out the deck from taroteca, and laminating it.

Me too, and I'm in the process of planning to do that. Just a mini version to start off with- I downloaded the pics, given them borders and titles and converted to pdf , 8 cards to a page. I've printed one page as a trial run, and am now choosing paper and looking into some kind of fixative spray.

If all goes well, I may in the future scan in my deck and make a full size copy. I'm also considering printing out the Hello Kitty Tarot as well as ways of making my own majors-only deck in collaboration with my much more artistically-talented fiancé.

Handy website I found - http://www.wopc.co.uk/otc/production.html

oak_woman

I'm certain it's true, as I heard it through someone who actually knows her. It is strange that the website is still up, though!

WolfSpirit

If you have not already done so, I would advise you to also print out the online handbook, or download it and save it on your computer. I did both because maybe some day it will disappear from the net.
It's really sad - but one can better be prepared.

ilweran

oak_woman said:
I'm certain it's true, as I heard it through someone who actually knows her. It is strange that the website is still up, though!

Maybe she just forgot about it? Some things do seem to hang about online - in work I recently found that another organisation had closed over a year ago and their website is still up.

I don't suppose you know if she has given up on art altogether?

I think I will go save the info that's on her site. It might all disappear tomorrow :bugeyed:

Lewen

Never fear, if it is taken off the internet, there is a possibility to still retrieve it. My Law Professor shared a site called "The Wayback Machine". I've posted the link and his explanation for those who might have need of it for other tarot sites that have gone down etc.
Here is my Professor's explanation (I hope this helps some people! :)):

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

Above is a link to the Wayback Machine. It is a site that archives old
webpages that are not generally available currently. This site can be
of great use if you are trying to find out what was on someone's site up
to 7 years ago, but is not on there now.

The name Wayback Machine is taken from the old Rocky and Bullwinkle
cartoon. Rocky was a flying squirrel and Bullwinkle was a Moose in the
cartoon. They had a fictional Wayback machine that allowed them to go
back in time in the cartoon. The Wayback Machine at the link above is
not fiction.

If you want to see what was on someone's website last year, or up to 7
years ago, often you can do so using the Wayback Machine. thanks, JG

Anyways, I have copied the information myself and keep it with my Greenwood, it's always better to be safe then sorry.

I have also found the card software (can't remember the name) in the card software thread on the Tarot Creation to be helpful in making Tarot cards. Perhaps you could use that software to make a working copy if you want to preserve (those of you who have the deck) the Greenwood (and those of you who don't get a tarot sized deck.) This site also sells fixative and other ideas for finishing the cards.

Just some thoughts and hope it helps someone.

Blessings,

Lewen

lark

Thank you Lewen for sharing that...very good information.
I used to watch Rocky and Bullwinkle all the time...haven't thought of them in years...;)

My hubby and I were just talking about that this morning why she would have the website still up, but refuse to print the cards...very strange.
Well, even that gives me hope...I would gladly pack 3/4ths of my decks up in a box and trade them for 1 Greenwood with book.
So if anyone wants to take me up on that...go ahead riffle through my collection and pm me...I'm serious.

I'm going to check out that thread in Deck Creation about the software...thanks for the tip Lewen.