Tips for reading with the Marseilles

franniee

FF join the reading circle. I did it last month and it was fun! I was very nervous about it since I am very inexperienced with this deck but it worked out. Also I bought a book on numerology and that was helpful. But you know most of the numerological references for the most part if you know Tarot... this just cements it more. :)

go for it... I have always found reading is the best way to learn.. :heart:

firefrost

I have:D My name's on the list. I've also warned them that I'm a complete novice...:)

le pendu

firefrost.

As mentioned before, I highly recommend just LOOKING at the cards, particularly the Noblet.

Try to forget every association you've made in the past to get beyond APPLYING meaning ON TOP of the images. Instead, look at the images themselves. Don't use elements. Don't use numerology. LOOK at the cards. Take the Knight of Swords for instance:

swords12.jpg

What kind of person is he? Does he look eager? Does he look nice? Smart? Witty? What is his body language saying? How does he relate to the horse he rides? Are they a good match? Is he moving? What story can you imagine him being a character in? Imagine describing him to someone who can't see the card, what would you say about him? Spending time with the cards in this sort of relationship, rather than forcing them to fit into preconceived meaning, I think is the key to loving the TdM.

Spend time with the Courts and Trumps, and get to know them in a relationship like that. Then try pairing two random cards. How do the cards relate to each other?

For instance, in a reading I had this pair come up:

batons13.jpg
09.jpg

What really struck me was that the yellow light on the ground on the Hermit is only in front of him, it doesn't cast behind him... but look how it seems to have entered into the Queen of Batons! That was a "magical" moment for me when I saw this relationship between the two cards.

After you've spent some time with the Courts and Trumps, then spend time with the Pips.

I've found for me it helps to say "8 Cups" rather than "8 of Cups". Saying "of" makes it abstract. Instead, think about the suits as what they really are. Swords, Cups, Coins, and Batons (sticks!) What associations come to mind when you think of these objects in a real world setting? What do cups do? What similarities to cups are there? Looking out my window right now I see flowerpots, which are also related to cups. Pots and Pans are cups. Swords are Swords, but knifes are swords too. So is a letter opener, and the trowel I use in the garden.

When I think of Three Swords, I think of the Three Musketeers. I think "One for all and all for one", camaraderie, courage. What associations come to mind when you try to imagine 5 Batons? I instantly thought of the "teepee" in my garden with roses growing on it. You could consider writing these down as you look at the cards and explore what they mean to YOU.

Finally, LOOK at the Pips. People sometimes mistakenly call them "Unillustrated", which it total hogwash. They are alive with imagery. Look at the flowers and vines and colors. How do they make you feel? Each one is different. Are they growing? Dying? What of the patterns? Do they remind you of things?

In the end, the beauty of the TdM is that there are no rules. You're not saying that a card means something because someone decided that it did... YOU'RE deciding, for yourself, and you'll probably change your mind about it as often as you read.

It's entirely up to you; but I hope this is helpful.

mac22

I second what le pendu is saying.

With the Noblet & other TdM it pays to be observant. JMDs course really opened my eyes & mind to this concept. Clear your mind of previous ideas & concepts. FIRST let the Noblet speak for it self & in it's own way.

This deck & TdM, in general, speaks in its own rhythms & cadence -- different from later decks.

Mac22

Moonbow

It's actually very difficult to read a Marseilles deck by trying to remember the picture and meaning from a different deck and then transferring that memory onto a Marseilles card, whether that is from the Waite deck or any other. I have said in many threads that that is not reading the card, it''s remembering it.

There is nothing definitely right, or wrong, about reading with a Marseilles deck although many of us have things that we each draw from when we read. That may be an event or person in history, an occasion or a film (as le pendu mentions in his three musketeers example). What is clear is that you do not have to start out with a set of meanings for each card which is what many people new to the Marseilles try to do and expect when they start to search for books. You need to have a more expanded way of reading the card and try not to expect one card to have one meaning, as written down in a book somewhere, or as presented to you by someone else. The Marseilles deck is mutable and unpredictable and it is far easier to read in your own way then it is to remember 78 meanings which someone else told you.

The pips are what most people seem to be nervous about but with some basic numerology alongside the depiction you have on the card you will see how they open up and start to show you themselves what they mean. It is possible to think of all the elements when looking at any of the suits, and it's not necessary to allocate one element to one suit. It's actually entirely up to you, but first and foremost it is very important to look at the card and at what is actually depicted on it, then notice how card that interacts with the ones around it. Your imagination will start to flow and stories will emerge.

Moonbow

Moderator Note

In this thread (post 32), firefrost asks a very important question which deserves a thread of it's own, so I have split the above posts from that thread to form this one so that members can give their own tips on reading with a Marseilles deck.

firefrost asks "I need a little extra help learning to read with the Marseilles......."

"If anyone else has any tips or guides for me, I'd love to hear them!"

Moonbow*

le pendu

Moonbow* said:
It's actually very difficult to read a Marseilles deck by trying to remember the picture and meaning from a different deck and then transferring that memory onto a Marseilles card, whether that is from the Waite deck or any other. I have said in many threads that that is not reading the card, it''s remembering it.

There is nothing definitely right, or wrong, about reading with a Marseilles deck although many of us have things that we each draw from when we read. That may be an event or person in history, an occasion or a film (as le pendu mentions in his three musketeers example). What is clear is that you do not have to start out with a set of meanings for each card which is what many people new to the Marseilles try to do and expect when they start to search for books. You need to have a more expanded way of reading the card and try not to expect one card to have one meaning, as written down in a book somewhere, or as presented to you by someone else. The Marseilles deck is mutable and unpredictable and it is far easier to read in your own way then it is to remember 78 meanings which someone else told you.

The pips are what most people seem to be nervous about but with some basic numerology alongside the depiction you have on the card you will see how they open up and start to show you themselves what they mean. It is possible to think of all the elements when looking at any of the suits, and it's not necessary to allocate one element to one suit. It's actually entirely up to you, but first and foremost it is very important to look at the card and at what is actually depicted on it, then notice how card that interacts with the ones around it. Your imagination will start to flow and stories will emerge.

Well said Moonbow*!!!

franniee

Moonbow* said:
In this thread (post 32), firefrost asks a very important question which deserves a thread of it's own, so I have split the above posts from that thread to form this one so that members can give their own tips on reading with a Marseilles deck.

firefrost asks "I need a little extra help learning to read with the Marseilles......."

"If anyone else has any tips or guides for me, I'd love to hear them!"

Moonbow*

I was wondering how I started a thread without knowing it. :laugh: I just came upon it and said WHAT??? well, OK :D

mac22

Moonbow* said:

I got some very sage & critical advice about the TdM from JMD, le pendu, you and others -- forget what you know & you think you know about other decks & Tarot, resist that urge to reach for a book..... :D

I listened --- I ALLOWED the deck to unfold to ME at its own speed & pace -- It was some of the best advice I listened to :D

ETA: The Noblet started in whispers to me at the start, it now sings, dances & chimes all on its own to me...:)

Mac22

firefrost

le pendu, Moonbow and mac22, thank you all very, very much, it's all excellent reading and makes a lot of sense to me.

The Marseilles is now beginning to look interesting instead of frightening.

Earlier this afternoon, I had the court cards on my table, and imagined the party scenario.

What struck me at the time was that Knight of Wands' horse seems to be whispering to him, The Page of Wands looks like he's showing his wand off, as if trying to sell it and the Page of Cups seems to be expecting a table lamp to start a conversation.

To be honest, the horses look like they're just out to have fun, with only the Knight of pentacles' one taking things seriously (figures!).

Looking at facial expressions, the Page of Swords and Queen of Cups look like they're about to die of boredom, The Page I think is waiting for someone while the Queen is wishing something exciting would happen. The Knight of Pentacles looks very noble, whilst the King of Pentacles looks on as if to say, "You learn, lad."
The Queen of Wands looks very wary, and I think the Kings of Pentacles and Cups are brothers!

It'll be interesting so see what you think of my observations!

le pendu, I'm going to study your cards you kindly scanned in for me and post my answers to your questions tomorrow.

At this rate, I'm enjoying the Marseilles!