Reviving the One Deck Wonder

rwcarter

With Scion's book in hand, I know I'll be using the Liber T for a future IDS (and referring back to all the Liber T posts from THIS IDS!):heart::heart::heart:

Rodney

Faolainn Storm

If Scion's writing a book I'm going to have to get the Liber T. It has been on my "mmm, maybe" list for so long. If a really good companion book (which, having read Scion's work here, I have no doubt his will be good, to say the least) was written it would migrate from my "mmm, maybe" list to my "absolutely must-have" list in a second!
It would probably even make it to my IDS list! :D

Faolainn Storm

Scion

Sravana, Gazel, Oddity, Faolainn, Lilith, Rodney, Thorhammer... :heart:

I can't thank y'all enough for being so encouraging about my wacky modification. :thumbsup: Truthfully, I was a little hesitant to speak it publicly, which meant it was exactly the thing to do! Very stoked (and slightly terrified) by the idea, but committed to seeing it through and working out the logistics of stealing that daily block of writing time from other projects.

This is going to be an amazing exercise on so many levels. And hopefully will force me to collate all these thoughts and facts and opinions coherently. :bugeyed: If nothing else it'll be fascinating to dig into the deck aggressively with compadres while I slowly lose my mind reading about Hermetic astrology... :party:

Emily, way back when you got your first copy, did you ever think in a MILLION years you'd be doing this ODW/IDS with the Liber T? })

WolfSpirit

Oh Scion that's great ! I am already very impressed with your pdf-file, I wonder what you will come up with if you write a page every day. Well you'll end up with a lot of words obviously :laugh: what I really mean is: I am looking forward to your book already :D

And I was thinking of committing myself to writing as well, although I'm afraid it will be of a very different quality :D I participated in NaNoWriMo last year, which meant I had to write 50,000 words in a month, and it did wonders for my creative imagination, despite the fact that the end result was a bit...erm...deplorable :laugh: and is still waiting to be edited (read: rewritten in part).
But forcing myself to write, combined with intense study of one tarot deck, should be a powerful combination. If I managed to write 50,000 words in a month I should be able to write 250 words per day over a 3 month period I think.

bleuivy

sravana said:
Both of those decks were on my shortlist, fwiw. (well, it was Shining Woman, because I still have that one). I'm not sure why I chose IW, because it gave me a hellish deck interview - but one that indicated that working together would change *me*. That would not be a bad thing!

Fun! It looks like we have very similar taste in decks. And I think what I am going to do is do an interview with each deck to see what their study would bring to me, and then go from there.

And wow, Scion! That's a major undertaking. Have fun with it! I admit, I would never have looked twice at the Liber T if there hadn't been such outspoken support for the deck from you and Emily and others on this forum. And now, it's on my short list of decks that I really want to sink my teeth into in the future.

lilith_in_tree

Promise, what a bold move you've made! Going with the Noblet is a challenge for sure, it's the perfect thing to get you out of your comfort zone, it's a whole new world of tarot in that little quirky deck. I'll be following your progress--I'm going to do the correspondence course for the deck after this IDS and it'll be interesting to see where it takes you :D

Scion, we've got your back ;) Again, you getting out of your comfort zone is a terrific thing. I'm sure there's some quote somewhere about doing the thing that makes you most afraid, and we can all learn from that--this whole exercise is scary for a lot of us for a lot of different reasons, and I think that's a good thing.

WolfSpirit, I'm in a similar mindframe to yours--I'm a writer, and since I started studying and journalling with my deck, an interesting thing has been happening--I've been doing more "real" writing, and feeling very good about what I've written. It's as if the studying has opened up channels I didn't know were there, or had forgotten about--I think using your mind creatively in any way has that effect--I'm seeing things I might have missed before, not sure if that makes any sense. Anyway, writing and tarot is a great combination.

Oddity

lilith_in_tree said:
I don't know how long you've been studying tarot, but have you read 78 Degrees of Wisdom? In my opinion that book is full of interesting minutiae (I'm a fan of that sort of thing, your mileage may vary of course) and might add something to your study, if you were thinking of using a book. And of course, if you do end up banging your head on a desk, we're here to help :laugh:
I haven't been studying for very long, just for a year – in a more structured way. Before, I have had a on-and-off interest in tarot for many years, but just been playing around a bit with the cards and put them away again, not what I would really call "studying" :D
I think I would like to be able to use books, so thanks for the tip! I'll go see if the online bookshop has it.

PeterS, thanks for the support! I'm getting more and more convinced that RWS will be the right deck to do the studies with!

WolfSpirit said:
I participated in NaNoWriMo last year, which meant I had to write 50,000 words in a month, and it did wonders for my creative imagination, despite the fact that the end result was a bit...erm...deplorable :laugh: and is still waiting to be edited (read: rewritten in part).
WolfSpirit, glad to meet another NaNoWriMo person! :D
Never mind the end result, it's all about the writing process anyway, giving your imagination a workout is the fun part...

Promise

After giving myself some time to think and ponder, I've created my own set of guidelines for myself. I prefer not to call them rules, as they may change and adapt over the course of my study, but it'll be a solid starting point, anyway (I hope, at least!)

-I will be faithful and monogamous to my Noblet, even to the point of madness. No other deck will be used for reading or reference, for idle shuffling, for flicking through at 3 AM during a particularly mind-numbing bout of insomnia. One deck, period. (SEE EXCEPTION BELOW)

-EXCEPTION: I am awaiting 3 decks in the mail right now: Sakki-Sakki, Tarot of Prague, and the Little Czech Oracle. When they arrive, they will be opened, checked for quality and completeness only, then will be promptly packed away. Out of sight, out of mind, back to the Noblet.

-The only text allowed will be the small booklet that came with the Noblet deck. AT is a vast resource, full of those Marseilles readers who are FAR more knowledgeable than I, and it's high time I start tapping into that resource more vividly.

-Journaling will take place daily, even if it's a short blurb explaining why I don't have anything to journal that day. Journaling for me acts as accountability, and I feel that accountability is something I'm going to need, particularly in the beginning.

And now, we get to the fun stuff

-The Major Arcana will be studied card by card, in order, individually. Cards will be studied until I feel they've told me all I'm ready to know, and then I'll move on.

-Each Major will be accompanied by a creative writing exercise of some flavor; either a short story on something in the imagery, an "interview" of the characters, something, anything. This is the way my brain remembers things, and this is the way my brain relates things to one another.

-The Minors are rather up in the air at this point, mostly because non-scenic pips scare the piss out of me. I'll have to get over it at some point, but for now, I have no developed game-plan for that. I suppose I'll tackle it when it rolls around.

IDS will last as long as it takes.

As my father would say, "It's done when I'm good and finished".

SolSionnach

Ironwing, it's NOT

Okay folks. Time to shove this baby into reverse and start over.

Yesterday I realized that I could not deal with the imagery in this deck, except in very small doses. Let's just say that it was becoming an unpleasant situation, so Kat, remove Ironwing as my chosen deck. :(

I've pulled out about 10 decks thus far, and am putting them "in order", and will decide based on the images alone. Some of them have already been eliminated from the running.

Maat - I just don't want to deal with Wands/Air Swords/Fire right now.
Wheel of Change - another huge system to learn. No. And I find too many of the faces poorly drawn.
Haindl - after seeing all the creepy things lurking in Ironwing, there are too many creepy things lurking in this deck, as well! Not only that, but I'd have to study the Hebrew alphabet, the runes, and I Ching as well (I already know astrology well enough to get by.)
Universal Fantasy - I guess I'm lacking in imagination - love the deck, but it's opaque to me. I must need to read more SciFi or something.
ORWS - this one feels like a tarot deck - but I don't want to get into all the esoterica right now.

Greenwood - a real possibility. There's a system there to learn, but the cards speak to me pretty easily
Light and Shadow - another real possibility, a deck I've worked with significantly before - if I choose this one, it's going to be more of a ODW rather than an IDS.
Shining Woman - after opening it up, I liked Shining Tribe better.
Shining Tribe - but the ink stinks! lol
Cosmic Tribe - ummm. yeah. I love it, but don't want to live with it for 3 months.

So... I did an interview spread, and in answer to the question "What will our relationship be like?" I got the MOON from both the Greenwood and the Shining Tribe... and I got the 6/Cups from L&S. It also gave me the most balanced answer, element-wise: out of 4 cards there was a cup, a sword and a pentacle - and the 4th card was the Sun (a fire card). Shining Tribe was the Moon and 3 stones, while Greenwood was 2 trumps + a cup and an arrow (sword).

This afternoon I'm very comfortable with the L&S being my deck choice - but I'm not going to decide - or start - until the 19th. I'll work with it between now and then, and if things look comfy, I'll go with it.

Sravana, off to find something to put that naked Shining Tribe deck in...

Promise

Ugh!

Damnit all!

I just asked my Noblet how it and I will get along, and it gave me nasty results.

Death, The Devil, The Moon...all of which I have a rather crappy feeling about.

What's a girl to do?

*sigh*