Reviving the One Deck Wonder

SolSionnach

6 Haunted Days said:
Well even with talking directly about the WoC, my post was ignored. Whatever. It starts to feel a little personal when everyone gets a mention but you're blatantly ignored. I have feelings, they can be hurt contrary to what some of you think.

I'm not doing the ODW, and since my posts aren't even awknowledged why bother posting, I'll take my leave.

This happens frequently, and not just to me, but no one ever says anything. Always must be positive with a fake smile on right? No thanks.

Good luck on your ODW, though I predict 98% will drop out of it within a week or so.....that's always how this goes. Only a very very few stick with it.

Oh, I feel so bad, Miss 6 - I'm sorry that you were ignored. In my case, your ebullient enthusiasm for the WoC rather knocked me off my rocker - I was going to go with the Haindl, but you got me to thinking about WoC! So I didn't respond to you, because of the quagmire I'm in.

{{{6HD}}}

MareSaturni

Umbrae said:
In the original telephone conversation that resulted in the ODW, I suggested one ITT and one TdM, six months. That’s it. No substitutes.

I guess i should use my Marseilles (i finally have one!) then, instead of using the ToW, though both are non-scenic pips and i've been reading the ToW using the Marseilles way.

The ITT tarot seems a really fine deck, but hard to get here. Is using the normal RWS acceptable?

I might wait for my 1JJ to arrive first...

Geez, no more getting decks for me, this is getting confusing enough.

Scion

autumnsdaughter said:
Scion, I respect your position, and I understand what you are saying... but I have to respectfully disagree that being completely monogamous with one deck is the only way to get the benefits.
Actually AD, you're not disagreeing with me; you're restating what I said. Nowhere in my post did I insist folks had to use only one deck to get benefit. In fact I bent over backwards to NOT say that. My point was that there is something to be said for focus. And that (whatever benefits might accrue thereby) making small compromises that whittle away at focus does in fact take away from focus. But only something, not all things...

6 Haunted Days said:
Well even with talking directly about the WoC, my post was ignored. Whatever. It starts to feel a little personal when everyone gets a mention but you're blatantly ignored.
Hey 6, I wouldn't take it personally. One of the hardest thing in this format is to maintain the "flow" of a conversation... I just always pretend the flow is there even if I'm not certain it is. The thread had about 4 conversations happening simultaneously. And actually if you look above, Umbrae referenced you explicitly as the jumping off point for his anecdote about the II.

Last time I saw, thorhammer was excited to use the WoC to get herself to the Thoth, and you had praised the companion text and implied you might also take up the challenge with the WoC... I was psyched cause we had some Thoth-positive goings-on. I hope you'll reconsider and come on a little adventure. :)

faunabay

Ok for me this is now going to be called the Flavor of the Month!!
And if it tastes good I'll do it for two or maybe three months!!!!

ROFLMAO!!!!! :laugh:

autumnsdaughter

Heh. Whoops. I guess I read it wrong, Scion. I blame it on DayQuil. I was just making the point that any step in the right direction is a good start.

Ugh. Don't mind me. I'm retreating back into my sickroom now...

SolSionnach

thorhammer said:
(edited by me)
sravana - Don't trim the GW!!!! (That's Greenwood, people :D) But great great choices for the TDW - I had the Shining Woman as my first deck, years ago, and I know what you mean. Beautiful deck. Incredible. Yes, I realise the part about the IIT and intuition and not using the LWB and stuff, but the deck that has chosen me is so full of deck-specific symbolism that to not use the companion book would be to diminish its potential cruelly. I intend to use both "intuition" and the companion book.

\m/ Kat

No, I won't be trimming it. But I am considering making a borderless version of it - perhaps even smaller. I'm liking smaller decks now.

I'm wondering, I think I need to interview these 4 decks, to see which one *wants* to be my companion for 3 months. Does anyone have ideas on a good spread for that? I'm brain-dead right now.

Sinduction

If I may ask a question. For a long time I've been thinking about joining in with the odw. I have a few new-ish decks that I've yet to really put to good use.

But, let's say I was to pick the Thoth. Now, I know nothing of Crowley or astrology or anything else that he incorporated into the cards. So If I were to pick this deck, how in the world am I to figure out the astrology, etc. if there is no books allowed? Perhaps this is really only an inquiry into the Thoth and other decks that have tons of layers.

It isn't as if you can look at any card in that deck and pick out from the pictures, at least I can't. It's almost like trying to read a book in a language I never knew existed.

So would it be better to pick something based on rws since that is where most of my study lies? Would the odw actually work with a deck that is so foreign? I mean, when I look at the Thoth deck, it's almost like it's the very first tarot deck I'd ever seen and I know nothing about tarot.

Does that make sense?

Umbrae

Sinduction said:
But, let's say I was to pick the Thoth. Now, I know nothing of Crowley or astrology or anything else that he incorporated into the cards. So If I were to pick this deck, how in the world am I to figure out the astrology, etc. if there is no books allowed? Perhaps this is really only an inquiry into the Thoth and other decks that have tons of layers.

Does that make sense?

Originally this had nothing to do with learning a deck.

Zip nada ziltch.

It’s a nice pay off.

This is about learning to read, and ultimately learning to read for strangers.

The ODW has gotten a bit watered down, because it’s morphed into something else (which is why I’m weighing in so heavily now – not saying I started it, but did influence its genesis).

If you want to learn to read with the CH Thoth, regardless of the baggage that’s been attached, fine. But the goal here is to take your readings to the next level. Your deck knowledge is a result, but not the goal.

MareSaturni

Scion said:
Last time I saw, thorhammer was excited to use the WoC to get herself to the Thoth, and you had praised the companion text and implied you might also take up the challenge with the WoC... I was psyched cause we had some Thoth-positive goings-on. I hope you'll reconsider and come on a little adventure. :)

I wonder if i'm the only person in the whole world for which Thoth tarot (and it's children) was not meant to work! :( :( :(

.traveller.

Hey Umbrae, is there a benefit in this exercise for those of us who already spent years reading F2F using a single deck?