Tarot Nova Journal

Keslynn

Yesterday I took a little trip to Borders and I found the cutest tarot journal! I think someone had mentioned in a previous thread but it deserves a thread of its own. In the front are a few pages of punch out cards so you can have a complete mini Tarot Nova! I love this deck and I can't wait to find a pretty bag so I can carry it in my purse. As for the journal itself, there are card meanings on the bottom but the majority of the page is blank. Also, the pages are lightly color coded by major arcana and the suits of the minors. I can't see using this journal for writing down the spreads you've done or other such things. But it's great for writing down your own meanings for each card or whatever insights come to you about it. Of course, that's if you can restrict notes on meaning to one page. Still... it's a great buy for only $6. You get a mini-deck and a tarot journal.

:) Kes

jlbvt

I ordered this from Amazon tonight! I can't wait to get it. I am still learning Tarot, so I have been looking for some sort of suitable journal to write down the meanings of the cards as I see them. When I heard it came with a mini-deck, that cinched it! I'm curious- are there perforations, and do the edges of the cards come out ragged? or do you cut them out? and what type of card stock are they on- will they last?? I love the Idea of a mini-deck to carry around with me! I wish there were more tiny decks like that.

Sea Sprite

Keslynn,

Wow! I'm gonna have to get me one! Thanks for sharing! :)

Silverlotus

Would you mind posting the ISBN for this? I've chevked a few online bookstores and haven't seen it. Not that I need another book. :)

Keslynn

The ISBN is 0762413549. I also found it on amazon from searching under "tarot journal." And you do need it. Trust me. ;)

As for the deck, the cards are punch out. I haven't taken mine out yet because I just got a cat and I don't have a bag to keep them in. That could be quite a card losing disaster right now. lol Anyway, I digress. They have perforated edges, and I plan to file the remnants off with a nail file. The cardstock is good. Much like that of a cereal box but a little lighter.

:) Kes

jlbvt

I have it now, and I love it. :0

Although the title saying "illustrated" is kind of misleading. The only real illustrations are on the tiny punch out cards in the beginning. The pages all have one card description at the bottom, about 4 sentences long. (2 for upright meanings, 2 for reversed) They have a tiny monochrome pic of the Tarot Nova card next to the meanings. They are in this order: Majors, cups, pentacles, swords, wands.

It is really easyt to find the page you are looking for because the corners are color coded for the sections, but unfortunately only in red or green, not 5 different colors which would have been slightly cooler. Nonetheless, easy to flip to the right secton.

I think this would be a great on-the-fly reference for beginners, and it grows with you because you can write your own experiences with each card on the card's own page. That is what I intend to do. One other drawback is that it's not spiral bound. but my fiancee says he can take it to his office and spiral bind it for me! I hope he really can, then it will be perfect!;)

fairyhedgehog

How big is this journal? I can't seem to see that on amazon.

jlbvt

size of the Tarot Juurnal

it is 9 1/2 inches tall by 6 1/2 inches wide, 3/8 inch thick and I think it has 90 pages including the copywrite page and intros and 2 blank pages in the back, also most of each page is blank for you to write in, but without lines so you can draw if you want to.

Khatruman

Had it in my hands

I saw it at Borders, kept it in my hands and just about bought it, but changed my mind.

I really wasn't impressed, punch cards and all. The meanings seemed pretty trite and a journal is, well, a journal. For six bucks I could get a nicer one.

In fact, I would like to write a better designed journal, more interactive.

Peace!

jlbvt

Re: Had it in my hands

Khatruman said:
The meanings seemed pretty trite and a journal is, well, a journal. For six bucks I could get a nicer one.

In fact, I would like to write a better designed journal, more interactive.

Peace!
Maybe you should look for a "workbook" type journal. There are some that are specific to certain decks, and there must be general ones too. For me though, I like having all the blank space to write in, and the already labeled pages with a few brief lines. I agree with you about the cards, they are pretty basic and not much real use, but they are SOO cute! ;) PS, if you decide to write a journal for publication, let us know! PPS, there is a post somewhere about a guy that makes beautiful custom journals out of whatever materials you choose. Really top notch books.