Life's a stage

re-pete-a

It kept drawing our attention,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in a lot of the cards the action is on a flat surface with a kerbing or kick board at its edge,near water.we set to pondering and came up with the STAGE of life,looks like its solid, but with the water so nearby,makes one think that its all in the mind,...................any takers,,,,,,,,,,any more light?????

HoneyBea

I think it is worth noting that you mention the cards look like a stage, and Pixie Smith was of course connected to the theatre and therefore the theatrical tends to come out a bit in her illustrations and they do tend to look somewhat staged.

just a thought :)

Of course I may be misunderstanding what you mean.

re-pete-a

staged,

The dance of life,seems real to someone without awareness,to us,reflections of self ,to be pondered, experienced ,put behind as unfolding awareness,,,,,,,,,Maybe!!???

GenoviaJ

If we are able to perceive our physical body as physical manifestation of spirit- then we can understand that it is a role we are playing at this time. Its about creation and creating a life as we go along. The trick is not to disconnect from spirit, the water the flow of life. We often get distracted and think we are our bodies, that we are our physical possessions and we disconnect from our source. With that in mind, of course life is a stage, and we are the actors, with so many teachers...far too many teachers to shape and mold us- so many that we can get lost and loose our real selves. Unconscious is nothing more than our spirit- our wisdom reminding us that we are here to have an experience through the physical. In other words our physical bodies are like the car we drive- who we are is the person behind the wheel. SO often we forget and think we are the car! (and for some of us, we think we are the road...laugh!)

GenoviaJ

ok- I thought about my response and maybe that is why the browser messed up before, but now I have to change it. Life is not a stage, and as I look at the cards what I see instead of a stage-- is frames or snap shots in time. Maybe stages of development - but not a stage.

The main reason I am changing my endorsement of the "stage concept" is because a stage setting takes an "actor" audience- interaction. This interaction is absent from many aspects of our life. Much of our development is done in private, much of the things we deal with when dealing with tarot is not for all the world to see, its very private and very unconscious- subconscious.

The next aspect of being on stage, is being able to step outside oneself, and that again can not and does not happen with the tarot or the roles in the tarot.

The next aspect of being on stage that does not gel with tarot is - distance, there is enough distance in order to perceive oneself accurately and in a detached manner. (an aesthetic distance) or comfort zone to percieve oneself, and that too is absent here.

I would say the cards are more like snap shots- or psyhic visions,
We cant control the setting, the trees, the water, the enviorment or the elements in the cards - we can go there and take a snap shot, but we do not create these elements - so no to the stage thing.

re-pete-a

stages

We feel the thought behind the idea is obscure,,,,,the actor is us, the audience is us,the stage is our own,its private .It's also got a public side to it,the developing ego's version of opinions,looks,style, others perceptions of us,etc.......clear as mud???
________
Ipad Cases

GenoviaJ

I'll think about that. However since we often live with out thinking, and act unconsciously, .....unintentionally, and with out practice, that might be a stretch. We spend half of our lives trying to figure out why we do what we do and what we are doing wrong and how to make it better, and the other half trying to figure out how to get it right, and finally at the end of our development we just go with the flow and try to align ourselves with all the things that are beyond our control. In other words, we dont live for others or for an audience, not even for ourselves, we learn to live in such a way that it brings us joy and happiness. On stage its the opposite.

Faolainn Storm

Isabel Radow Kliegman in her book "Tarot and the Tree of Life: Finding Everyday Wisdom in the Minor Arcana" discusses these cards. She refers to them as 'seperation' cards and suggests that these cards have a sense of isolation to them, that the people depicted on these cards have distanced themselves from the rest of the world, for good or for bad. I personally like this an an interpretation, but I will have to consider the 'stage' idea some more.

Faolainn Storm

job

re-pete-a said:
It kept drawing our attention,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in a lot of the cards the action is on a flat surface with a kerbing or kick board at its edge,near water.we set to pondering and came up with the STAGE of life,looks like its solid, but with the water so nearby,makes one think that its all in the mind,...................any takers,,,,,,,,,,any more light?????

Well... it is all in the mind isn't it? It's a matter of percerption and we all see things differently, which may be right or wrong. But because this is what we SEE we believe it to be true.

There's a particular card that I see in life (like on stage I guess). The view at times is indescribable. I think my stumbling blocks on discovering 'why' I see this image rests within me, and not 'outside' of me.

"Everyone must inevitably do what their present level of awareness permits them to do, no more no less."

job

GenoviaJ said:
I'll think about that. However since we often live with out thinking, and act unconsciously, .....unintentionally, and with out practice, that might be a stretch. We spend half of our lives trying to figure out why we do what we do and what we are doing wrong and how to make it better, and the other half trying to figure out how to get it right, and finally at the end of our development we just go with the flow and try to align ourselves with all the things that are beyond our control. In other words, we dont live for others or for an audience, not even for ourselves, we learn to live in such a way that it brings us joy and happiness. On stage its the opposite.

A line in your first post that said...

"far too many teachers to shape and mold us- so many that we can get lost and loose our real selves."

I totally agree with.

When a bird builds a nest it does out of instinct. No other bird told them what to do. When humans do that we call it 'intuition'. Some might call it the 'higher self'...