Inaugural Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread

Bloudwedd

tarot4fun said:
Looking forward to June 21st~ :)

:heart:

So there will be an IDS starting /planend for 21st of June? I have the Pagan Tarot hopefull arriving by then that I firmly believe will benefit for that kind of study!

I will read up a bit on what IDS really is and what you guys have done in here and then I might even start a IDS of my own the 21st!

Anyone interested?

Skimo

Hello,

I guess that finally my IDS will last only three months. I will finish it the 21th.

I need to have another deck for a Larp this summer and to be able to read with it. And to tell the truth I would be happy to read again with a few of my other decks.

I may come back later to IDS, and the focusing experience is still really interesting for me.
I love my Halloween tarot and he tells me a lot of interesting things.

rwcarter

Bloudwedd said:
So there will be an IDS starting /planend for 21st of June? I have the Pagan Tarot hopefull arriving by then that I firmly believe will benefit for that kind of study!

I will read up a bit on what IDS really is and what you guys have done in here and then I might even start a IDS of my own the 21st!

Anyone interested?
Most of us started around the same time (March 19th-ish), so most of us are ending around the same time (June 19th-ish). Other people have joined in at various points along the way, so while most of us will be finishing soon, there are many people who are still in the thick of their IDS experience. Feel free to join in now or at any point that feels right to you. You don't have to wait til the 21st.

Rodney

Alamaris

Bloudwedd said:

Anyone interested?
I would be. =) I've enjoyed my time with the RWS, but I'm ready to take a month or two (or three!) break from it. I want to gear down and actually study a deck, and for me, the RWS just wasn't enough of a challenge to fill that role. I'm considering the Thoth (my arch-nemesis) or... *gulp* ...a Marseilles.

Disa said:
I think this has been a very good thing for me. My "need" to aquire new decks is definitely diminished and my desire to really LEARN the cards is increased. So, I feel that I've gained a lot. I also think I can devote time to decks now indiviually so that I can learn more.
If nothing else, this is absolutely the most vital thing I've taken from the IDS as well. I haven't made a spontaneous tarot buy in months, and honestly, I just don't have that urge anymore. I recently enjoyed selling some of my decks, and trading a few for decks that were on my wishlist... but I just didn't feel like I had to buy them.

My only regret is that real life intervened and I couldn't study/read as much as I had hoped. Maybe next time!

thorhammer

WolfSpirit said:
I have decided to end the IDS here :) . . . And yes, so close to the end of the three months, I could have gone on and stuck to my rules, but this feels like a natural ending to me. I only made the rules for myself, and I feel this is a good reason to stop.
I don't feel like I am giving up, but starting a new exciting adventure.
Wonderful! If it feels to you like it's ended, then it has, and you've got out of it what you needed. I must take a look at this Tarot of the Spirit, one day . . . :D
Disa said:
I'm going to stick it out through the end of the initial IDS period.
LOL, sounds painful :D
Disa said:
I think this has been a very good thing for me. My "need" to aquire new decks is definitely diminished and my desire to really LEARN the cards is increased. So, I feel that I've gained a lot. I also think I can devote time to decks now indiviually so that I can learn more.
I know exactly what you mean! I feel just the same way, except that I'm getting a bit of a hankering for a new deck here and there again now. But I'm a lot fussier now, less prone to instant deck lust :D.
Scion said:
Loving loving loving. Can't imagine stopping. :)
You're an inspiration, Scion. No doubt about it!
Aulruna said:
The familiar RWS ingredients give me a lot of confidence and foundation, yet the cutting edge of the intertwined Thoth symbolism and the beautiful structure and order from the Marseilles take my readings with this deck into a whole new realm, and I don't feel I'm anywhere near the end of the journey yet.
You know, that's the first time I've ever heard someone sum up their impression of that deck in such a way - what sounds precisely like the creators intended! I'm glad for you that you've gotten so much out of the deck, and it's nice to hear someone say such lovely things about their deck after an extended time!
rwcarter said:
After I finish looking at the relationship of the cards by their astrological associations, I'll have to look at them by rank across the suits and maybe even do a tarot constellations thing by looking at all the ones - Aces, Magician, Wheel of Fortune and Sun.

Yeah, no way I'll be done with the IDS by 6/19....

Rodney
I tried looking at all the Ones etc. But in my deck, i think that the system just isn't rigorous enough, and I was reaching for connections that simply aren't there. There might be connections in a reading situation, but in terms of vacuum-type study, it's just not possible. Added to that - and possibly the cause of it - is the creator's own system for the Majors. She was quite adamant that her deck wasn't to be treated as a Fool's Journey. However, her Tarot Tree makes a whole lot of sense to me, and requires further exploration.
tarot4fun said:
The exercise in self-discipline and focus has been very beneficial, so I’m glad to have made and held to this IDS commitment. As I continue to journal, I’ll incorporate my Universal Waite and favorite reading decks. Comparative studies with my decks is something I’ve missed.
Interesting you should say that - I rarely do the comparative thing with my decks. I guess I treat them all as very separate entities, although no doubt without my realising it, my understanding of a given card is influenced by the equivalent in other decks. But I'm going to be directly comparing two decks when my IDS is over, and I'm not sure how I'll go. Mind you, they do go hand in hand, so maybe it'll be the easy part . . .
Bloudwedd said:

Anyone interested?
Exactly what Rodney said. There are lots of us who started "late" - so you can start any time you like. I'll be interested to see how you go with the Pagan - I got it in trade during my IDS, and though I've flicked through it to check it, I've not done any work with it. I must say I wasn't overly impressed - online scans show the best cards, while many of the other cards are just . . . bleh. To me, at least. I'm not trying to turn you off it! :laugh:
Skimo said:
Hello,

I guess that finally my IDS will last only three months. I will finish it the 21th.

I need to have another deck for a Larp this summer and to be able to read with it. And to tell the truth I would be happy to read again with a few of my other decks.

I may come back later to IDS, and the focusing experience is still really interesting for me.
I love my Halloween tarot and he tells me a lot of interesting things.
That's all that you could ask for, isn't it? To get to know a deck, and build a meaningful relationship with it. That was my point, anyway. Have you chosen your next deck?
Alamaris said:
I would be. =) I've enjoyed my time with the RWS, but I'm ready to take a month or two (or three!) break from it. I want to gear down and actually study a deck, and for me, the RWS just wasn't enough of a challenge to fill that role. I'm considering the Thoth (my arch-nemesis) or... *gulp* ...a Marseilles.
LOL Good for you! Jump in the deep end with me . . . :eek:! I just wish I had more time, more focus and another brain so that I could work with all of them at once!!!

\m/ Kat

Bloudwedd

thorhammer said:
Exactly what Rodney said. There are lots of us who started "late" - so you can start any time you like. I'll be interested to see how you go with the Pagan - I got it in trade during my IDS, and though I've flicked through it to check it, I've not done any work with it. I must say I wasn't overly impressed - online scans show the best cards, while many of the other cards are just . . . bleh. To me, at least. I'm not trying to turn you off it! :laugh:

\m/ Kat

Thanks Kat (and Rodney!) - I think I will do just that! :) I flicked through the pages and saw that there were several that intended to go on for 6 months or more so I guess I will still have some company!
And thanks for your honesty Kat! I have managed to get a view of quite a few of the cards from different sources and so far I like what I see. But I guess it is much like a good film trailer - you only see the good stuff and then if you lucky the movie is of the same quality. But it raerely is....:-( It still is a deep need for me though to own this deck since I am pagan myself and many of the cards I seen are speaking to me on a deeper pagan level as well. Well time will tell I guess!

Skimo

thorhammer said:
That's all that you could ask for, isn't it? To get to know a deck, and build a meaningful relationship with it. That was my point, anyway. Have you chosen your next deck?
\m/ Kat

I may work with the Archeon for the larp.
For the next IDS, mmmmh, MAAT, Bohemian Gothic, mmmmh, don't know with one yet ;o)
I will have to work a little with all my other decks to choose one.

Emily

I didn't realise that the 'official' end of the IDS was 21 June. I'm not ready to move on from this deck just yet, infact I feel that the Liber T is part of me now, and I can't imagine not having it close.

I do feel like I have to move up a notch in my studies though so I think I may start journaling a card at a time, not in sequence though but make a list of all 78 cards then take cards at random until I've done them all. :) - now to find a nice Journal - or I can do them online and print them out - ohh decisions, decisions :D

thorhammer

Bloudwedd said:
It still is a deep need for me though to own this deck since I am pagan myself and many of the cards I seen are speaking to me on a deeper pagan level as well. Well time will tell I guess!
As am I, and I really liked the cards like the 9 of Pentacles (or whatever they're called) and the Empress and Hermit, but . . . it's not Pagan, per se, but Wiccan. And I'm not Wiccan. So a lot of it seems to be saying to me that I don't qualify as a Pagan . . . *shrug* Nevermind. I haven't looked at it closely, anyway. As I said, I'll be interested to see how you go with it.
Skimo said:
For the next IDS, mmmmh, MAAT, Bohemian Gothic, mmmmh, don't know with one yet ;o)
Nice choices! :) I know what you mean, tring to find out which ones will benefit from a longer study.
Emily said:
I didn't realise that the 'official' end of the IDS was 21 June. I'm not ready to move on from this deck just yet, infact I feel that the Liber T is part of me now, and I can't imagine not having it close.
(((Emily))) It's only *official* to some of us! And most of us left the option of a longer stint open for ourselves anyway! Don't feel at all pressured to finish before you're ready - and I know just what you mean. While I'm not ready to "finish" with the Wheel of Change, I'm ready to augment it, and branch out my intellectual side into something a bit more robust and demanding. Soon I'll be able to discuss the Liber T with you - prepare for questions!!!

\m/ Kat

SolSionnach

Skimo said:

Hey Skimo,
My intention is to IDS with the Maat - and use the Druid Animal/Plant Oracle for the second deck (some of us were talking about limiting to a tarot and an oracle).

We could have big fun!

Of course, I've just started studying Japanese, so the IDS will be a slow thing for me.. :)