Inaugural Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread

Sophie

afrosaxon said:
I have pulled the same card in the "Spirit" position 2 days in a row (Possession rx, which is equivalent to Strength rx). I have to figure out what this means.
The Flesh is strong but the Spirit is weak? ;)

blackroseivy

Haha!

Well, I have 6 down & 72 to go yet in my journaling. I am doing a quickie study because there is only so much I can see in the card all by myself; however, there is now a study-group devoted to it & I should have PLENTY of insights by the time we finish with the deck!

Oh, but...

I REALLY want to join in the Alchemical study-group, so I think I will just do this one for 8 weeks - if that is ok. By May, everyone will have their dex & the group will definitely be up & running.

Astraea Aurora

Aulruna said:
Interesting you should say that... I'm having a bit of the opposite effect. So far, I've only done "full" readings with the Lo Scarabeo (prior to IDS), three cards and up. It always went brilliantly. Now I've tried some one-card variations and it really was uphill work. Hmmmmm.

Thankfully I'm not bound to the small things :D, I do full readings with lots of cards, too. Back in January I'd decided that I needed some kind of structure to keep Tarot going in these six months. Examining one-carders (done), two-carders (right now) and three-carders (still to come) seemed promising.

How do you draw them? Select them? By visual or structural criteria? And what is the goal of this exercise? Sorry, I'm a bit slow on the uptake today...

My wording was bad, sorry. I draw to cards and lay them out on opposing positions, like a two card spread where position one is A and position 2 is Z. Like passive-active, male-female, teacher-student, love-hate. The goal of this is getting to know the range of meanings of my deck, seeing how the cards react in different positions, how they influence each other, how they give contour to the question, take the question to unkown places, give it twists and spins. Say, I get the Devil (my preciousssssss ... ahem :D) as positive. WTF? Or Danse Macabre as student and Three of Wands as teacher. Two of Wands as Keep and Six of Wands as Let Go. Or simply any contradicting cards that don't seem to make much sense at the beginning. Fascinating combinations.
Sometimes it's not so much about the position but about the visual effects. Similar elements the two cards have. That's more like storytelling, finding the common symbol upon which a story is built. I don't do these very often as they demand more time to actually write out the little episode.

Astraea Aurora :grin:

Oddity

kisou said:
At the same time, I feel a little lazy for not choosing to focus like other people have!! I really really really can't suddenly have one-page per card... I don't journal like that at all. I do the reading, write about each card in the reading, going in depth ((one paragraph or two)) with how I feel about it at the time, etc., and that's it. From there I start to see the patterns from a particular card and if I ever feel confused about it, I go back and read all the readings where that card appeared, in context.

You know... that doesn't seem lazy to me at all! It seems like a lot more work than writing one page per card. I am writing down every reading I do, and what cards were there, so I can find them later and look for patterns if I want... but as it turns out, I almost never look anything up in the journal named "Readings".

I don't want to go looking for the information when I need it, I want it all in one place. So that's why I'm slowly putting together another handy journal named "Cards" with one page per card, the point is it's supposed to work kind of like a LWB, only big and pink and with MY ideas in it and not the publisher's :)
And then I'm going to add changes to it whenever some new thought about a card comes up, so it will always be growing and... dynamic, is maybe the word I'm looking for.

But, as you already have written so much about the cards in your reading journal, wouldn't it be easy just to summarize the information you already have about each card in a notebook? I'm sure you would fill up a page on each card in no time!

Alamaris

My secondary deck arrived, finally! :D But with it came two other orders I've been waiting for: Tarot Plain And Simple by Anthony Louis, and *drumroll* the New Orleans Voodoo Tarot. I'm not sure if I should open it to check for completeness, or just leave it sealed until June. What do you think, guys?

I started doing my new method of daily draw; #1 is yesterday, #2 is today, and #3 is tomorrow. "Yesterday" was really off, which surprised me, but "today" was spot-on and "tomorrow" is intriguing...The Devil. I'm not sure whether to be excited or terrified!

Today's itinerary: do a Deck Interview for the Hadar, and possibly that larger spread if I have the energy.

fluffy

Alamaris, don't open the decks if you think you will want to do a reading with them, 'cause then you won't be able to resist. However, if you don't feel the urge to suddenly start shuffling your NOV then I don't think it will be a problem to check for completness.

I have not started to journal for each card, but have journalled a few readings I have done (sadly not all of them, I have failed myself already on that goal) and am currently studying the cards purely by just looking at them.

A book arrived this morning which I am excited about "The complete paintings - Bosch". I am hoping that this will aid me with my studies. I am considering starting a journal for each card, but have tried this before twice and not finished so I don't want to pressure myself too much, afterall there is plenty of time!

BTW I love my new trimmed Bosch I had found the borders really distracting, now it looks great.

Fluff
xx

Knight of Wands

Don't open them Alamaris!!

I love 'Tarot Plain and Simple' - it really is that, but it does make you think about the cards. Very RWS based.

blackroseivy

I am going to work on my journal tonight - sheesh, a deck IS just full-a cardz, ain't it?? :p

afrosaxon

Alamaris said:
My secondary deck arrived, finally! :D But with it came two other orders I've been waiting for: Tarot Plain And Simple by Anthony Louis, and *drumroll* the New Orleans Voodoo Tarot. .

YES!! Another NOVT person! Where's Grip? :party:

Welcome.

T.

rwcarter

afrosaxon said:
YES!! Another NOVT person! Where's Grip? :party:

Welcome.

T.
I"ve had one since 93 or so. But every time I take it out to look at it, it's so foreign and I so don't feel like putting in the effort at that point that it goes back in the box. So some 15 years later it's still virtually pristine (if one can actually use that word about the NOVT!:laugh:).

Rodney