Inaugural Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread

sapienza

rwcarter said:
So instead of giving up the idea of a handwritten journal, maybe trying a blending of hi tech and lo tech....

What a great idea Rodney. Thanks so much for sharing. I hadn't thought to leave spaces for handwritten notes as well but that is such a good idea because ineveitably once it's printed out I'll want to add things as I continue to use the deck over the years. And I'm pretty confident the Alchemical is always going to be one of my main decks.

Scion

I think I'm doing somethign similar to RW... I've been using the deck as a kind of springboaard into the writing task I've taken on. The book document in Word has become a kind of nonliteral journal to which I add material as it comes up contextually.

And as the deck raises questions or I find myself wonderign somethign I document the answers I find and HOW I found them in the hopes that the path may prove illuminating as the destination.

thorhammer

mosaica said:
The other change in myself that I've noticed is that I'm no longer obsessed with fulfilling my wish list. I don't feel a desire to buy a deck every time I pass a bookstore. I don't browse new decks on amazon. For the first time since beginning to study tarot, I feel satisfied with the decks that I have. I don't feel addicted to acquiring new ones anymore.
Me too!!!!!

The last few days I've had the itch to buy, but nothing really grabs me anyway, you know? It's put my buying on hold . . . unfortunately, it means that I have nothing in the mail :( except for a parcel from Marina which might take a very long time :( (I need a hug :)).

The Wheel of Change has got its hooks into my brain another notch! I did this great little spread from a book I got as a freebie the other day, which I'll post when I have time to sit down and write it better. It's called the Sacred Hand spread, and one of the "fingers" came up with the Strength card, and for some reason, that particular card just sprouted the hugest crop of questions!!! So today I took some time to do a spread with the Strength card as significator, asking, "What have I *got* from this archetype?" "What do I still need to glean from it?" and "What do I need to release from it?". The last question, although it seems fairly clear, turned out to be more, "What has Strength given me that I need to allow to take its place in my life?" and it was one of the best readings I've done in ages. It has, of course, opened up a whole new Pandora's box - that last card was especially talkative - but that gives me something to explore deeply with this intensely personal deck.

I'm starting to think a few strange thigns about Tarot too. Like:

a) I might not be able to go back to any other deck after this IDS (probably an irrational fear :D)
b) I might never read for someone else with the WoC after this
c) I will never "know" this deck, never ever feel confident with it.

I think that this is a function of the way I approached the IDS - with the mindset that I know nothing about the deck itself and this would be a journey of discovery (no preconceptions) - and now I've disabled myself! In a way, although the IDS has been great, it has also been a prolonged Tower moment in my Tarot journey. It has really shaken my confidence as a reader and student of the Tarot to the core - and I don't know if I'll ever be the same after it. Is this a good or a bad thing? I still don't know.

\m/ Kat

Essjay

sapienza said:
You should be very proud of yourself Essjay. You have succesfully avoided temptation. Well done :) And the other decks will be waiting for you when you are finished so don't worry.

So true! Thank you! It has shown me that hanging around the tarot deck forum should possibly be limited, lol! :)

sapienza

thorhammer said:
I'm starting to think a few strange thigns about Tarot too. Like:

a) I might not be able to go back to any other deck after this IDS (probably an irrational fear :D)
b) I might never read for someone else with the WoC after this
c) I will never "know" this deck, never ever feel confident with it.

I think that this is a function of the way I approached the IDS - with the mindset that I know nothing about the deck itself and this would be a journey of discovery (no preconceptions) - and now I've disabled myself! In a way, although the IDS has been great, it has also been a prolonged Tower moment in my Tarot journey. It has really shaken my confidence as a reader and student of the Tarot to the core - and I don't know if I'll ever be the same after it. Is this a good or a bad thing? I still don't know.

Kat, it sounds like you've had a pretty emotionally charged day with your deck. I know you sound like you are pretty worried about those points above, but I actually think this is a really good thing. I think the way you've approached this is fabulous. As the Buddhist's say, you have beginners mind, and this is a wonderful way to really learn a lot, about both the deck, and yourself. I know it must be overwhelming to have your confidence as a reader shaken, but I'm sure you'll recover as you continue working with this deck. Perhaps this is part of the process of shedding the old and making way for the new Kat, who will have a deeper and much more profound understanding of the tarot. All this will transfer beautifully into readings in the future I'm sure. Maybe just for now, you are overwhelmed by the idea of reading for others because this is such a personal journey for you. I hope that after your prolonged tower experience the dust settles for you and you start to feel some of the peace and acceptance of the Star :)

I'm sure I speak for everyone in saying that we're all here to listen and to help in any way we can.

Emily

When I did this study the first time round, I remember thinking what if the Old path spoiled me for any other decks or what if I'd never be able to read other decks as good as the Old Path or what if the study was a complete waste of time and I didn't learn anything. :)

Well, no the Old Path didn't spoil me, and yes I can read other decks and no the study wasn't a complete waste of time - quite the opposite in fact. It made me want to learn more about different systems. I'd always used RWS and clone decks but after the study it gave me the confidence to branch right out of my comfort zone.

This time round I'm using the Liber T, a deck I would never have considered before, and so we are into our 7th month and this deck still gives me the same kind of thrill as when I first realised that I could see what it was trying to say. I don't think I would have the confidence with this kind of deck if I hadn't done the study the first time round.

But I still think that its better not to put a time limit on it because I know with my experience of the Old Path after 5 months I was ready to move on and if I'd tried to stick to my 12 month plan, it wouldn't have been half as much fun.

PolarBear

Hi all,
have just posted on the daily draws thread, and then thought that I should introduce myself here.

I'm moving in with the Llewellyn ... not sure for how long. I see that many people are doing three months. So I'll start with that.

I've been thinking about doing this for some time, but there were always so many nice decks that I couldn't bear to ignore!! However, have now got to what seems to be a critical mass of deck ownership, and feel I am collecting rather than reading. Not that I have anything against collecting - I'd just like to be able to do both! :)

So I pledge that I will not use (i.e. read with, shuffle, play with, take to dinner) any tarot deck except the Llewellyn from now (April 4th 2008) till July 4th 2008.

1) I will at least handle my deck every day.

2) I will journal as often as possible (using the daily draws list).

3) I will not buy any more decks (this is not just a study thing, it's a de-enabling thing!!

4) As a reward, if I make it to the three month mark I will allow myself to add the Druid Animal/Plant Oracles into the mix.

Gosh - the reward one was hard!! I was quietly intending to keep up the oracle on the side (love the animal oracle for the sense that I draw a card and it walks beside me like a furry/feathery/scaly therapist for the day - and have already bought, and am awaiting delivery of, the Plant Oracle). But now I have publicly staked my pitch and fully expect the wrath of the Tarot Gods to descend if I break my oath.

Better go and have a cup of tea to recover ... :)

Cheers,

PolarBear

P.S. – I wonder if there are such things as Tarot Gods and if so, what they look like? Another thread perhaps? :)

tarot4fun

Welcome PolarBear and other lately newcomers! :D

:heart:

thorhammer

sapienza and Emily, thankyou for your kind words. It helps to get some outside perspective :)

PolarBear - I'm lucky I saw your post. I'll add you to the list - welcome.

\m/ Kat

sapienza

PolarBear said:
I've been thinking about doing this for some time, but there were always so many nice decks that I couldn't bear to ignore!! However, have now got to what seems to be a critical mass of deck ownership, and feel I am collecting rather than reading. Not that I have anything against collecting - I'd just like to be able to do both! :)

Welcome PolarBear. I hope your study goes well. I understand what you mean about collecting rather than reading. This is exactly where I was and why I've committed to this study. So far I have to say it is absolutely worth it.