Inaugural Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread

Disa

I think what happens is we put too much pressure on ourselves with the study. The commitment part was difficult at first, the follow through has it's own set of obstacles. The cards will always be here and I think it's ok to take a break for a while. What I had to do was rearrange my thinking about it all. Think about what I am gaining by the experience rather than what I am denying myself.

Flitting from deck to deck wasn't helping me learn anything. I still feel I've barely scratched the surface of Tarot, in general. There are so many connections that I intuitively know, but I don't think to verbalize them or even to write them down when journaling or typing online about a card. Then there are connections I really didn't know, and I come across those when reading someone else's views of the same card. Some people have the inate ability to put every connection so beautifully into words, and when I read it I'm in awe and begin to wonder if I'll ever advance to that stage.

To those of you that are struggling, it's a process. Go easy on yourselves. Real life does need attention, but often, the cards can get us through those real life issues and help us find our center in the midst of chaos.

We are all in this together. In the IDS, in the world of tarot, and really, in life.

afrosaxon

Disa said:
I think what happens is we put too much pressure on ourselves with the study. The commitment part was difficult at first, the follow through has it's own set of obstacles. The cards will always be here and I think it's ok to take a break for a while. What I had to do was rearrange my thinking about it all. Think about what I am gaining by the experience rather than what I am denying myself.

Flitting from deck to deck wasn't helping me learn anything. I still feel I've barely scratched the surface of Tarot, in general. There are so many connections that I intuitively know, but I don't think to verbalize them or even to write them down when journaling or typing online about a card. Then there are connections I really didn't know, and I come across those when reading someone else's views of the same card. Some people have the inate ability to put every connection so beautifully into words, and when I read it I'm in awe and begin to wonder if I'll ever advance to that stage.

To those of you that are struggling, it's a process. Go easy on yourselves. Real life does need attention, but often, the cards can get us through those real life issues and help us find our center in the midst of chaos.

We are all in this together. In the IDS, in the world of tarot, and really, in life.

Disa, get out of my head! :laugh:

I was just about to post that I was going off the rails with my IDS studies: I've gone from a daily, structured, card-by-card study (complete with daily 3-card draws) to...non-structure: a 3-card draw one day, but no card study until yesterday, when I did FIVE (count 'em) card studies in one fell swoop. Today, no 3-card draw (it's after 1pm...why would I need to check my energies for today NOW? LOL. I haven't even picked up my cards yet.

*sigh*

Maybe I am being too hard on myself because I don't want to slide into a pit of non-action with regard to my IDS studies.

Grrr...

Thanks for you post, Disa. It was much needed at this time.

T.

afrosaxon

(((Promise)))

(((Open Arms)))

Bless your hearts...

Do what you both need to do to get through these rough patches. If it's bowing out of the "formal" IDS, then so be it.

Concentrate on getting better, the both of you!

T.

Disa

afrosaxon said:
Disa, get out of my head! :laugh:

Thanks for you post, Disa. It was much needed at this time.

T.

I was wondering who I was writing that for :) Glad it helped. Now take it easy will ya?

D

Faolainn Storm

**Hugs** to all. :love: :love: :love:

Like many of you I have been struggling with the IDS. I have Bipolar Disorder and am suffering my autumn bout of depression early this year (its usually in May). Even my meds are not helping much. And the worse bit is, it is not a typical emotional or physical depression, but the mental and energetic type, where it feels like you have a head full of cotton-wool (that is you can't think straight, even TV sitcoms are too hard to concentrate on, and writing a sentence is difficult, as you tend to forget what your saying half way though) and you have the energy of a flat battery. Physically and emotionally I feel fine, but I just can't seem to do anything. :(
I am coping with this by persisting. It takes me a few days to fully journal a card anyway, so if it takes me a week or even two, what the hey. *shrug* There is no limits on the IDS, what I get done is what I get done. And if I decide to finish earlier (or later) than I originally planned, then fine. I'll get there eventually. This is not a race.

So my advice for all, coming from someone who is struggling just as you are, is just keep slogging. Don't stress when things get tough, because the journey is what matters, and it is only by getting through the tough bits do you get the benefits of the good times.

Now all I've gotta do is remember this myself! :D

Faolainn Storm

Gazel

Santa Claus/Father Christmas/Julemanden

Disa said:
Real life does need attention, but often, the cards can get us through those real life issues and help us find our center in the midst of chaos.

Faolainn Storm said:
Don't stress when things get tough, because the journey is what matters, and it is only by getting through the tough bits do you get the benefits of the good times.

Allow me to quote you both for these very wise words.

Here I'm sort of closing in on what's ahead of me.
I have nested for the last week, everything practical is in order. I can only wait. I find it hard to concentrate on anything. I'm been going in and out of premonitory pains for the last five days, but nothing REAL is happening - its quite frustrating. But I simply can't control. 2oS told me to let go the need and attempt to control anything mentally. A clarifier told me Strenght. What else does I need to know, really?

Anyway. What has that to do with Santa - you might ask. Last night my daughter again wanted to look through the UW with me. My husband took some pictures of her looking at the cards, so concentrated she was.

We came to a king (don't remember which one of them), and I said "that's a king". At the next card she said, "That's not a king" paused "Det er Julemanden" (That's Santa"). It was the Emperor in all his might. I think this might cheer some of you up. We can't always take it all too darn seriously ;o)

Love from here.

Gazel.

PeterS

Disa said:
For inspiration with your card of the day:

http://tarotconnection.net/episode-5/

James Wanless and James Wells speak about the card of the day.

Disa, your comments for everyone to be gentle with themselves is absolutely true! So often I think that we are too hard on ourselves.

One comment about the podcast is that I think that the first 50 are no longer on the website for free but each and every episode is well worth the dollar download on itunes.

Peter

Sophie

still here

I am in the middle of exams - the last 2 on Friday - so not much time for anything else, but the Sidhe have come with me :). I've read about work, about the situation in Zimbabwe and just looked through the cards and picked the odd one out to rest my mind from study.

I'll be back with more in a couple of weeks - I'm away on a course all next week.

WolfSpirit

I am not studying very intensively at the moment but I have stayed faithfull to the Steele Wizard. And I have stayed away from the Tarot Deck section almost completely - and strangely, I feel free and relieved now !
I have quite a lot of decks, and there is always someone asking a question about a deck I have. So I would always look for that deck, answer questions etc., even if I was not working with that deck. Only now I realise how much time and energy this cost me. Which is not bad, as long as I enjoy it - but I realise now I like not having to talk about any decks except for the one that is getting my full attention now.
Does anyone else feel like this ?