Astroamerica - Not a Fan (a gay tarot rant)

Shade

Hey all, long before I ever found my favorite tarot sites like Tarot Passages, Wicce's Tarot Collection, and the Aeclectic forum one of the sites I visited most often for reviews was the Astroamerica http://astroamerica.com/t-menu.html

I noticed after a while that the reviews on Astroamerica tended to be quite a bit harsher than other deck review sites. Even when Gina Pace of the Wicce tarot site didn't like a deck, she would at least frame her response by discussing what it was the author set out to do, who it would appeal to, and what her particular reaction was to it. The reviewer on Astroamerica tends to decide what he thinks a card is going for then concocts long drawn out often ridiculous rationalizations about what a card might mean if skewed one particular way, and then dismisses an entire deck based on that.

As an example of this he once pointed out that the hands of the magician in the Mythic tarot point in the opposite direction of the RWS version. He decides this means that this magician must be drawing upon the energy of the dead and sending that out into the world and that the card is really about Necromancy (?!?). Clearly - or at least I imagine clearly - it is much more likely that the artist is still going for an as above so below analogy but with different hands than the RWS.

Then this evening I read his review of the Gay tarot. Now, in my journey with this particular deck I have been critical of a few of its elements. There are things I may have done differently but ultimately I would agree that Lee Bursten has created a deck with familiar elements of gay culture and cosmology and woven them into a workable tarot structure. The Astroamerica review on the other hand manages to give a review that is patently offensive to all queer folks everywhere by stating that:

Being gay is a choice
Gay folks don't really raise children
The deck suggests gay folks play a role to deceive straight people
The Magician card (again with the magician) represents a magical gay inversion (a really offensive word if you know anything about the history of gay folks and psychology) and that the card alludes to the fact that straight culture was repulsed by gay folks in the age of Pisces because of our predominant role as black magicians(?!?)

I've disagreed with a lot of reviews in my time but this is the first time I've ever actually been offended by one. It would be one thing if the author had some sort of reality to base the review on but his points are largely the baseless reactions I associate most with Rush Limbaugh. It annoys me when he takes the Devil card (a card I batted around in my head a few times) as disdain towards heterosexual marriage. It's actually depicting the very real phenomenon of internalized homophobia. Oy

If you want to read the review for yourself, it's here: http://astroamerica.com/t-gay.html

firecatpickles

Thank you for pointing this out. I will not be buying anything from astroamerica!

6 Haunted Days

Yes, i noticed awhile ago his very negative reviews on many decks. I just don't like either how he takes one card, picks it apart in some psuedo-intellectual way (which rarely makes much rational sense) and then dismisses the whole deck.....uhg irritating.

Did you also notice he RARELY says anything positive about the backs? He 99% of the time whines about how they don't fit the images in the deck.

I haven't read the Gay Tarot review, but the one I read that was just rude was for the Archeon.....he was just just plain mean to the creator in his review...

Kissa

well i don't know really, i've always fancied the reviews on astroamerica, i find them very witty and unpolitically correct. the scans of the pics are good in colors as well.

i don't know if the person who wrote the review about the gay tarot is homophobic or is it simply that they disagree with the way this deck shows/refers to gay ppl? i don't know: i don't own the deck.

but you can read the review for the unicorn tarot and you'll get a pretty good picture of the whole spirit of the reviews: honest, no BS, independent (obviously) and i suspect (also from another review : Radiant RWS) that it is a man.

RiccardoLS

mmmhhh...
I read the review very quickly...
but:
- I disagree with it 100%
- I find it superficial (expecially when seems to be "deep". Simply it says: the Magician means that SO we must interpret in this way. My opinion is "when doing a review: listen to a deck own voice, and not judge how well the deck follows your voice")

but still... it seems to me critical of the deck (and the way Gay seems to be portrayed by the deck), and not critical of Gay in general.

2 cents.

ric

rwcarter

To be perfectly honest, I was far too bored with what he was saying to finish reading what he was saying. :rolleyes: As the old saying goes, "Opinions are like a**holes. Everybody has one." And he's quite entitled to his. I don't agree with it, but he has every right to express his opinion. And I have every right not to frequent his site or purchase from him. That was maybe the fourth time I've ever gone to that site and will probably be the last time I do so.

Rodney

Shade

Kissa said:
but you can read the review for the unicorn tarot and you'll get a pretty good picture of the whole spirit of the reviews: honest, no BS, independent

Actually one of the reasons I dislike him so much is the extreme amount of BS in his reviews. In his review of the Universal Goddess he says that:

"The Queen of Pentacles is accepting an offering of a fattened, newborn male (short hair) from a submissive female subject. She looks as if she intends to eat it." http://astroamerica.com/t-ugt.html

The card depicts Juno the Goddess of marriage and motherhood a goddess who would bless children brought to her temples by their mothers - no story of Juno depicts her devouring children.

Similarly, in his review of the Pagan Tarot he suggests that the Hanged Man shows a woman who may be burned at the stake... the book (and common sense) suggest it is an initiation ritual. He is openly distrustful/disdainful of most pagan or magical decks including the Druidcraft and Pagan tarot.

It is ok to not like decks - but willful ignorance from reviewers irks me.

stella01904

6 Haunted Days said:
Yes, i noticed awhile ago his very negative reviews on many decks. I just don't like either how he takes one card, picks it apart in some psuedo-intellectual way (which rarely makes much rational sense) and then dismisses the whole deck.....uhg irritating.

Did you also notice he RARELY says anything positive about the backs? He 99% of the time whines about how they don't fit the images in the deck.

I haven't read the Gay Tarot review, but the one I read that was just rude was for the Archeon.....he was just just plain mean to the creator in his review...

I don't give a **** what he says about the decks.

I don't give a **** if he likes the card backs.

I do find him to be a racist and a homophobe. Give his email to as many Nigerian spammers as possible and his phone number to telemarketers.

Kahlie

Shade said:
Gay folks don't really raise children

Maybe I should sent him an update to tell him that at least in my Country they do! :D

I don't think I even want to read the review, so I'm going to spend my time on better things (at the moment, sadly, ironing!) :)

Sad how sometimes people are so misinformed.

Kahlie