Finding the "Positives" and the "Negatives"

piledrivefinger

I know someone posted about this at least once before, but I had trouble finding it using the search.

I know that a card is not ALL good or ALL bad, so it'd be interesting to take a "bad" card and draw some "good" out of it, and vice versa. For example, some of us may cringe when we see the Devil card, attributing it to "evil", "addiction", "trouble", but a positive spin might be that the Devil symbolizes an exciting, important person because he/she is ruled by hedonistic tendencies and mischief.

I'd just like to see everyone's thoughts in regards to this, as I'm still learning from my deck and it might help me and some other newbies to see things in a new light. It's a fun exercise, at any rate.

piledrivefinger

Or perhaps, the 6 of Wands, a card that generally means a victory. On the other hand, when the victory is won, what is there to look forward to?

Oddity

With the 6 of Wands, it's also possible to expand the thoughts beyond the victory itself.

Did the victory mean somebody else lost? How was the victory won – was it a dirty fight, did the winner let the ends justify the means? Was he/she selfish? Were other people hurt? Did people lose face, were they deliberately degraded? Is the winner gloating now? It's one thing to be proud and happy and enjoy the moment of victory, but after a while people start disliking a person who goes on and on bragging about it.

It takes grace to be a good winner.

Just my two cents. :)

star-lover

there are some cards i cant see any negative in at all, as they stand by themselves

2 of cups
3 of cups
star
3 of coins
world
aces
i could go on

gorgeousbutterfly

star-lover said:
there are some cards i cant see any negative in at all, as they stand by themselves

2 of cups
3 of cups
star
3 of coins
world
aces
i could go on

the 2 of cup negative could be that you are so focused on a person that you don't notice whats going around you.

the 3 of cups ok partying isn't everything?

3 of coins, working can get dull?

the world, ?????

aces? ????

piledrivefinger

star-lover said:

2 of cups
3 of cups
star
3 of coins
world
aces
i could go on

I have trouble seeing the negative in the Star as well, for a card that means hope and recovery and peace. Maybe the negative side is the passiveness this conjures up? "Hoping" for something isn't a very go-getting attitude. Hmm.

I have the Tarot of Prague, and on the 3 of Cups, there are these three women celebrating. This could mean friendship, but what about the elitism and nastiness of cliques?

As for the World, it means the ultimate in happiness or a culmination. But once you're so blissed out, where is there to go but down?

star-lover

gorgeousbutterfly said:
the 2 of cup negative could be that you are so focused on a person that you don't notice whats going around you.

the 3 of cups ok partying isn't everything?

3 of coins, working can get dull?

the world, ?????

aces? ????

i see the 2 of cups as TOTALLY benign

3 of cups partying isnt everything? well yes it is everything actually imo
its one of the most pos cards in the deck

3 of coins is enthusiasm teamwork commitment so never dull

the world and aces can never be negative

jmo

WalesWoman

There can only be so much of a good thing, before it becomes too much.

6 Wands... it's a victory parade, but if you notice, the guy with the laurel wreath isn't exactly exuberant about it. Victory takes it's toll... so there are prices to be paid to get those things you want, it doesn't happen without risk or some sort of cost, perhaps the fact that to be the victor someone else must be vanquished. Peace with a price. I think I said about the same thing as Oddity and am very much reminded of 5 Swords and how these two cards seem to come in sequence, much more than 5 Wands/6 Wands do.

Have you ever noticed 2 Cups isn't exactly a blissful, happy card, even tho' we would love it to be. It's the meeting of two, it doesn't mean they see eye to eye or even on the same level, there is diversity, happiness depends on how well you can balance the differences. It's also about polarity, finding yourselves at extreme ends of the spectrum, not seeing eye to eye at all.

3 Cups...have you visited the local bar lately after "Happy Hour" and really, is Happy Hour all that happy with the same old crowd bellied up to the bar day after day, doing the same old thing, wasting their $, time and health having a "good time"? Eat, drink and be merry... there is no moderation in this card, it goes overboard, which is why 4 cups looks so blotto and 5 Cups is regret for making an ass of ones self when having 3 Cups too many.

It is hard to find negative in the Star, but how about someone who keeps hoping and wishing and dreaming and pouring themselves into something that isn't ever going to grow and is a bottomless pit that doesn't give anything back?

There is that old saying..." Wish in one hand, **** in the other and see which one fills up first." Wishing won't make things happen, neither will hope, if you want something to happen, make it happen.

The World can be a happy dance, of accomplishment and completion, but it can also be the 'shuffle off to Buffalo, I'm outta here' card too. Over and done with and back at the beginning, starting something new. Like the end of a job, career, marriage, etc., coming out of it with the knowledge and experiences you have gained and cleaned out... not even clothes on your back. Of course it may seem negative at the time, but may be exactly what you needed to get a new improved life.

Aces are not always good and positive, but it helps to keep that spin on new developments that suck. All surprises are not always welcome ones.

3 Coins... Keep it simple, stupid! Never learning the lesson, so never getting it right, so always in a state of figuring it out and making mistakes... needing someone to guide and tell you what to do or having to be watched to make sure you do it right.

Don't even start me on the ultimate feel good in theory card, that everyone hopes to get... Lovers. Look what happened to Romeo & Juliette or Tristan & Isolde or Lancelot & Gwyniever. Big love, bad choices, worse consequences.

I can put a negative spin on almost any "positive" card and put a positive spin on almost every "negative" card. It's a gift. :D

star-lover

you miserable lot!! :party: :D

Oddity

WalesWoman said:
3 Cups...have you visited the local bar lately after "Happy Hour" and really, is Happy Hour all that happy with the same old crowd bellied up to the bar day after day, doing the same old thing, wasting their $, time and health having a "good time"? Eat, drink and be merry... there is no moderation in this card, it goes overboard, which is why 4 cups looks so blotto and 5 Cups is regret for making an ass of ones self when having 3 Cups too many.

:laugh: hahaha! I'm never going to be able to see these three cards again without thinking about your little story...