To allow reversals or not - that is the question!

Do you allow cards to be reversed in a spread?

• YES - always

Votes: 80 26.1%
  • YES - but on rare occasions not

Votes: 55 18.0%
  • NO - never

Votes: 80 26.1%
  • NO - but on rare occasions I do

Votes: 91 29.7%

• Total voters

juice

I almost said yes maybe instead of yes always because I tried not using reversals on a deck where the artist said not to. I couldn't help it: they just feel right. It would be like refusing to use one of the tools in a box for me. I know that when I was shuffling to avoid reversals during the test that I would get a feeling that this card should be reversed sometimes. That doesn't change the fact that allowing my subconcious to turn the card helps it talk to me. Not using reversals for me would be like saying that I have to stick with one deck because the others won't trigger different impressions. YMMV Your way is right for you.

Silverlotus

I voted Yes, because I always have. When I started to learn Tarot, the books all talked about reversed meanings, so I didn't think to do it any differently. But I believe I will try not using reversals with one of my decks to see how it goes.

I think it's kind of interesting at the time I posted this, and the time I voted the day before, that the poll was nearly evenly split. Pretty neat, really. ;)

Trogon

Diana said:
I see all sorts of meanings in a card - reversed, accelerated, stalled, 1st gear all the way to 6th gear. Sometimes I even see that the engine needs a complete overhaul!

Ah ha!!! I've discovered another problem with my Tarot readings! I've been thinking my decks only had 4 forward gears... now I'm told they have 6!! Boy does that explain why everyone keeps passing me!

I voted yes. I always use reversals and continually shuffle in a manner to make sure the cards are mixed both reversed/upright as well as randomized. Been doing that ever since I began learning the Tarot. After all these discussions though... who knows, I may give non-reversalism a try...

As for what happens with a reading where all the cards are reversed; My friend who originally began teaching me the Tarot, taught me that when all the cards were reversed, something was really blocking the reading - that the time may not be right for that reading and we should try it again another time. This has actually only happened to me once - with a "new deck" reading. Next, I had several interruptions which would have seriously messed me up. Came back after a while and had a great reading.

dangerdork

I voted "No but on rare occasions..." I riffle and bridge as Major Tom described, but if a reversal DOES turn up (or a card jumps out, as Pollux mentioned), then it gets not only read as a reversal, but with special attention / emphasis (how the heck did it get reversed, anyway?)

SherryZoned

I am with Dangerdork and MajorTom...about shuffling and reversals..although..maybe by some weird twist of fate..I was able to get Tarot Reversals by Mary K. Greer for a good price..so hmmm LOL

Red Emma

Reversal poll

I voted yes -- if I don't use reversals I feel that I'm 1) cheating and (tongue in cheek) the gods will get even with me. 2) I will lose half the message. I have a real battle with depression, and if I ask why I'm depressed and get the 5S Rx, to me it means that I've hit bottom and am on the way up out of the depression. The 5S upright seems to mean defeat.

On my first tarot list I was told that in the reversal, the upright energy is there, but something is blocking it. In the case of the 5S Rx, I can be really grateful that it's blocked. Of course if you get a "good news" card Rx, your next question might be, "What's blocking it?"

Goddess Bless (upright),

Red Emmah

Jewel

Yes - on rare occassions not

I use reversals with all decks except the ones that specify that the deck was designed to be used without reversals.

I honestly feel that you can discern the meaning of a card by the surrounding influences (other cards), position in the spread, etc and that reversals are not really necessary .... but since I learned using reversals I see no reason to quit. Although sometimes interesting things catch my eyes that might have slipped had the card not been reversed.

baba-prague

I voted yes, always. This is maybe mostly because of the experience I had with one reading in particular which I think only worked as well as it did because of reversals. It was a Celtic Cross with all reversals (and no, I don't know how it happened) except for the final outcome card. It turned out the querent was in quite a crisis and for me a spread full of reversals made a lot of sense in the circumstances. I'm not sure anything else would have let me do such a clear reading (maybe it just shocked me into having to think through the meanings in some depth).

So - I'm convinced that I'm a better reader for using reversals, but that's just me, I don't think everyone should do the same.

Karenwhe

I voted - NO - but on rare occasions I do ....

I am glad to see that others do this too (I thought I was the only one).

I usually go with the feeling what feels right to do at that time.

Sea Sprite

I voted NO. The manner in which I shuffle the cards leaves no opportunity for reversals. :D