Help with interpretation of a set of runes? (Love question)

Frannie

Hi

I am very new to runes, but I couldn't help to ask them about my love interest and the energies between us.
I asked:

What are the energies that sorround the relationship between X and me?

BERKANO - FEHU REVERSED - EIHWAZ - SOWILO

I interpretated them this way:

A promise of a new beggining, a new prosperous love affair. But I was stumped with Fehu reversed. Could it mean failure in the intent?
He is a honest man who can be relied upon. This is a reasonable desire, and the goal of having a relationship can be achieved. This is a positive change for both, that this is a higher, more elevated coonection.
Could it mean (beside fehu reversed, which I don't understand in the context) that the runes are telling me there is great potential of success in the end?

I would really appreciate your inputs, thank you very much :)

willowfox

BERKANO - FEHU - EIHWAZ - SOWILO

Well berkano is the birth of something and in this case the birth of a new love affair.

Fehu I personally cannot see how any rune can have a reversed meaning especially when originally runes were scattered on the floor and there were no up or downs in those times. So Fehu means luck, happiness being prosperous in your new love affair.

Eihwaz To persevere or endure, meaning the relationship carries on.

Sowilo Triumph, to win, succeed.

Frannie

Wow, thank you willowfox, your interpretation was really helpful.... so you don't use reversals? I've read in many places reversed meanings, but they are so negative, and yes, if they were casted on the floor it doesn't make much sense... should I use reversals, do some people not use them?

willowfox

If you had used a reversed Fehu then your answer would not have made any sense and anyway, runes do have some very negative runes in their ranks.

Waterfaery

The Runes are a lot like Tarot in that sometimes they just happen to land reversed or Merkstave. You don't necessarily read them Merkstave all the time. The Runes around it usually tells you whether you should or not. With the positives that you had around it, it cancelled out the Merkstave meaning so you would have read it upright anyway. In that case you can read the Merkstave as an underlying caution as you proceed; with Fehu Merkstave it would be a council against laziness or apathy, not taking things for granted, ect. Otherwise, your interpretation was right on the money! Good luck with this promising relationship! ;)

Frannie

Thank you Waterfaery! *does a happy dance* :D

raeanne

Hi Frannie,
I read Runes a bit differently then others. I take a hand full from the bag, shake them in my hands and then scatter-drop them on the casting cloth. Some will land face up, some face down, some rotated toward me and some rotated at various points around the circle. Neither face down nor rotated away from me necessarily makes the Rune meaning murky for me. It basically comes down to “does this Rune play well with the others?” If the answer is ‘yes’ then the meaning is bright (or brightstave). If the answer is ‘no’ then the meaning is murky (or merkstave). It’s all about the way the Runes are facing in relationship to each other. If two Runes are rotated so that they are facing each other then there is a connection there that needs to be looked at. If they are rotated as if they have their backs to each other then there is obviously some friction between those two Runes. Without being able to see how each of these Runes were lying in relationship to each other it’s difficult to say too much about the interaction between them. I would agree with Willowfox on the Rune Berkano being the birth of a new relationship. I disagree with Willowfox on the Fehu Rune. To me this Rune is about tangible wealth. Its basic meaning is ‘cattle’ and in the culture from which Runes came, cattle were wealth. The more you had, the richer you were. In this reading I would say it probably refers to there being ‘something of substance’ in this new relationship. It isn’t all smoke and mirrors. Eihwaz is a Rune that looks like a human back bone and it’s meaning for me has always been related to that. We have to have a back bone in order to stand upright. We need an emotional back bone to stand up for ourselves. Combining this Rune with Fehu and it could mean that not only is there something of substance here but it actually has a back bone! Sowilo speaks for itself. If all of the Runes were ‘playing nice’ with each other then this could be a promising relationship. (Keep in mind that there is a way to read these to mean that the new relationship could cost you a lot financially and break your back, but you will survive.) Only you know whether or not you felt these Runes were working together or against each other.

NightQueen

willowfox said:
I personally cannot see how any rune can have a reversed meaning especially when originally runes were scattered on the floor and there were no up or downs in those times.
good point willowfox! so do you always read them upright, I seem to do that because as I pull the runes out of their pouch I instantly lay them upright

willowfox

NightQueen said:
good point willowfox! so do you always read them upright, I seem to do that because as I pull the runes out of their pouch I instantly lay them upright

Yes, I always read them as having one meaning, upright as there are already a number of "negative" runes in the bunch to add the "bad" outcomes.